The remnants of my old homebrew psp project

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
320x240

The remnants of my old homebrew psp project

Post by 320x240 »

This spring I was busy using Gamemaker for a prototype for a PSP game. When summer came I just stopped working on it. I'm posting it here to get some feedback on the actual gameplay. There are two playable segments in this version. In later versions there where a couple of bosses too but the computer I used for developing is now no longer. I can't even remember how far into development this version is from.

There is one serious bug in this version that will sometimes slow the game down to a halt. I don't know why this happens but the solution is to simply quit the whole program and restart it again. The game will run smoothly approximately one out of two times.

http://folk.uio.no/perel/test.zip
320x240

Post by 320x240 »

Any takers? As I said I'm interested in comments on this style of play.
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

So far interesting game, but why 1D movement?

Also, later enemies get progressively easier instead of harder, since they shoot from greater distance and their attacks spread out more.

BTW: I love how game automatically takes screenshot after each run. Great idea.
"A game isn't bad because you resent it. A game is bad because it's shitty."
320x240

Post by 320x240 »

worstplayer wrote:Also, later enemies get progressively easier instead of harder, since they shoot from greater distance and their attacks spread out more.
I tried to counter that with increasing the enemies firepower the fewer enemies were left, not unlike how a lot of bosses work. The regular, round, cannons have three modes of fire. To me it's the spread mode that is the most difficult one. Maybe a better way would be to move the next row of cannons forward as the first is shot down, so that the distance between yourself and the front row of cannons always stays the same.

You are awarded for shooting down all the regular cannons as quickly as possible, which means you should work out the fastest route possible through a level. In these segments this means starting on one side and moving over to the other step by step. Later levels would force you to take less linear paths.

As you can see, the game doesn't make much sense unless you play for score.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

So um .. Gamemaker can make PSP games? :O
320x240

Post by 320x240 »

Udderdude wrote:So um .. Gamemaker can make PSP games? :O
I make all my games for XBLA, Wiiware and PSN with Gamemaker.
agustusx

Post by agustusx »

really, i didn't know thats possible. Not to derail but if you have a link with more info pm me. I thought GM games only worked on pc due to the directx requirements.
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

Pretty solid. I think you should continue.

My main concern is the difficulty curve. It starts out quite hard and maybe the shots are a bit too fast. I think you might scale down the turret size so you cam put more of them onscreen and give the player time to react. Instead of 1 d movement you might consider making a box that the player may move within. This way you will still have a shooting gallery type shmup but they game will feel more playable.
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
320x240

Post by 320x240 »

agustusx wrote:really, i didn't know thats possible. Not to derail but if you have a link with more info pm me. I thought GM games only worked on pc due to the directx requirements.
It was just a (bad) joke. There looks to be a Mac port in the works though.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

320x240 wrote:
agustusx wrote:really, i didn't know thats possible. Not to derail but if you have a link with more info pm me. I thought GM games only worked on pc due to the directx requirements.
You tease. :P
agustusx

Post by agustusx »

yeah im keeping my eye on the game maker mac alpha. I don't want to test though, least not till beta :)
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Udderdude wrote:
320x240 wrote:
You tease. :P
Amazingly, he doesn't. Unless they're joking...
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

What version of custom firmware will this homebrew PSP shmup title run on?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
320x240

Post by 320x240 »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:What version of custom firmware will this homebrew PSP shmup title run on?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
A PC :D

I never got as far as to start working on the PSP version. This was just a prototype.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

320x240 wrote:
PC Engine Fan X! wrote:What version of custom firmware will this homebrew PSP shmup title run on?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
A PC :D

I never got as far as to start working on the PSP version. This was just a prototype.
Thanks for the heads up on that. Yes, I'd have to say that it'd be cool to try out on a real PSP just for kicks if nothing else. Very impressive shmup effort. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~