omnigun

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
null1024

omnigun

Post by null1024 »

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1LA2C6tBdE&fmt=18
D/l: http://s_a_2_d.sitesled.com/omnigun.zip

So, I just finished this entry for Shmup-Dev's Rapid Prototyping Session 8.
And I'm going to continue working on it.

Runs at native resolution, see readme.txt for more info.

PS: Video fps is low because screen recorders suck, I killed myself to keep filesize down [uploads are SLOW.], and the high score list is off center because I had the window off center.

PPS: *facepalm* I accidentally posted in Off Topic.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
mister. jones

Post by mister. jones »

Another great submission, null.

This is pretty cool. A vast majority of 360 degree shooting in shmups these days is done with the mouse. This is a refreshing spin (no pun intended). I feel like I'm manning a turret with a need for a little precision and planning, as opposed to just waving a mouse around wildly from enemy to enemy.

(This is not to say that I don't like aiming with the mouse. I simply mean to point out that, in comparison to using a mouse, I feel the need to be more methodical and patient with these controls.)

At first, the controls (as simple as they are) were extremely hard to operate. But after two horrific attempts I got much better. Ok, not much better -- I still suck. It's a nice acquired skill, I think. Dodging bullets is one thing, aiming and firing at things is another thing, but doing both at the same time is another thing entirely. I get a little better each time, which is what makes it so enjoyable. It's a difficult skill, but it's one that I know I can get better at, and consistently do.

I also like that it has environmental hazards. They provide a tactical cover while I get my "turret" in position for when I emerge from around the corner.

Bravo.

--mister. jones
Only with teeth of cheese can one truly enjoy a cracker.