no forum shump?

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
lilmanjs

no forum shump?

Post by lilmanjs »

why isn't there a community forum shump being created? I know there are some talented artists and such and we could make a game like raiden fighters(many ships to choose from type shooter) and I bet there are some people that could make music and some that could write a story.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

We're all too busy trying to get the WR in Raptor: Call of the Shadows.
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

Probably because everyone has different opinion on what a good shmup is.
"A game isn't bad because you resent it. A game is bad because it's shitty."
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

worstplayer wrote:Probably because everyone has different opinion on what a good shmup is.
Bingo.

The best approach to this would be a simple game with no more than 2 programmers and maybe 1 or 2 artists. The music portion would be easily covered. I've never seen a community game get off the ground.

Besides, no matter how good one makes a game they will always have idiots with loud mouths and closed eyes critiquing it for not being created by Cave or Konami or Treasure.

Too many cooks in the kitchen will ruin dinner.
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
ForceDevice

Post by ForceDevice »

I'm not really good with teamwork, but I always wanted to be part of a team to develop a shmup. If I had just a spriter and a soundtrack composer, I'd be much more excited to work on some gameplay ideas I have... one of them I've never seen in any game of the genre, and it's something terribly obvious.
genecyst

Post by genecyst »

if you are interested in my way of drawing we can try to develop something together...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/genecyst here there are few examples and a lot of stupid things...
ForceDevice

Post by ForceDevice »

genecyst wrote:if you are interested in my way of drawing we can try to develop something together...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/genecyst here there are few examples and a lot of stupid things...
Hm, I liked your examples. They have a nice 16-bit feel to them, and it'd be interesting to use them on a bullet hell. But I forgot to say that for this one project I have in mind, I was looking for something totally abstract, kinda like Night Raid or even my previous work (see sig), just with more detail and animation.

If you want to give it a try, go ahead. The crazier the better. :)
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Udderdude wrote:We're all too busy trying to get the WR in Raptor: Call of the Shadows.
haha loser. that game may be good and all but if you really are trying for a WR in that game good luck. not funny either.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

ForceDevice wrote:I'm not really good with teamwork, but I always wanted to be part of a team to develop a shmup. If I had just a spriter and a soundtrack composer, I'd be much more excited to work on some gameplay ideas I have... one of them I've never seen in any game of the genre, and it's something terribly obvious.
I can do some music for you if you're interested.
Emph
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

there really aren't any shmups with true Jazz music in them so it would be cool to see somebody make a shmup with jazz music.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

lilmanjs wrote:
Udderdude wrote:We're all too busy trying to get the WR in Raptor: Call of the Shadows.
haha loser. that game may be good and all but if you really are trying for a WR in that game good luck. not funny either.
lolz....he was throwing a jab at you, and unlike you, udderdude is quite good at shmups.....

in fact im pretty sure he has even seen the 3rd stage of UD on a single credit a couple times :wink:
ForceDevice

Post by ForceDevice »

emphatic wrote: I can do some music for you if you're interested.
Emph
Oh yes, definitely. Having a composer would considerably boost up my determination to work on another shmup. :)
It'd be great if you could PM me some samples of your music, and then if I like it, I'll resume working on the project and keep you updated so you can have an idea of what kind of stuff you're making music for.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

ForceDevice wrote:
emphatic wrote: I can do some music for you if you're interested.
Emph
Oh yes, definitely. Having a composer would considerably boost up my determination to work on another shmup. :)
It'd be great if you could PM me some samples of your music, and then if I like it, I'll resume working on the project and keep you updated so you can have an idea of what kind of stuff you're making music for.
I did do melodic trance when I was actively doing music at all. I haven't had time to do music because of all the shmupping of lately. :D If this genre doesn't fit the overall theme of your game (think ESPGALUDA music) than of course I can adapt to the looks of a certain stage, the length of it, boss fight music etc. I'll dig up some fitting tune and give you a like.

Emph
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.