Problem with DC VGA Box.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
jpolz

Problem with DC VGA Box.

Post by jpolz »

I recently purchased a DC VGA box and have used it on my LCD HDTV in my living room and on my LCD PC monitor. On both, the image is always shifted to the right of the screen. Is this normal?
Lynx Winters

Post by Lynx Winters »

I think it is, since mine does the same thing. I have the VGA box connected to a tated CRT monitor, and there's a noticeable black space under the game image. However, I'm not really concerned since it doesn't actually cut off any of the actual picture as far as I can tell.
lewisit

Re: Problem with DC VGA Box.

Post by lewisit »

jpolz wrote:[...] the image is always shifted to the right of the screen. Is this normal?
in my experience it's not normal:

i had my DC/VGA connected to a CRT monitor in the past and nowadays to a LCD - in both cases the picture is/was perfectly centered (ok... - there are black borders of about 0.04" on the sides&top and about 0.08" on the bottom - but i don't think that is what you are refering to as "shifted"?)

both my monitors are 4:3 though - maybe the problems comes up when using 16:10 or 16:9 monitors?

[edit] for bringing the lengh into the right format for you us-guys :)
antron

Post by antron »

Mine shifts right on my LCD TV.
jpolz

Post by jpolz »

For those of you who have the shifting problem, does yours look like this?

neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I have that cable, but my TV has a shift option, I just shift it so it centers. However, I don't notice a distinct improvement over RGB on my LCD. Would be nice if you could upscale 640x480 to 1366x720. Seems my TV has better processing for RGB at 15khz than it does 640x480 at 31khz.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
lewisit

Post by lewisit »

@jpolz (although you didn't ask me as i don't have the "shifting-problem")

mine looks like this:

Specineff

Post by Specineff »

I have both of those and it never gives me the described problems on my CRT monitors.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
undamned

Post by undamned »

lewisit wrote:i had my DC/VGA connected to a CRT monitor in the past and nowadays to a LCD - in both cases the picture is/was perfectly centered (ok... - there are black borders of about 0.04" on the sides&top and about 0.08" on the bottom - but i don't think that is what you are refering to as "shifted"?)
What LCD are you using?
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
doodude

Post by doodude »

So does anyone recommend any VGA box brand or supplier over another? Racketboy, Ebay etc...?

Also, the DC simply connects directly to the monitor via the VGA box, correct? Theres no preamp or anything else powering this?

lewisit

Post by lewisit »

undamned wrote:
lewisit wrote:[...]
What LCD are you using?
-ud
it's a BenQ FP71G - pretty standard but perfect for my gaming-needs

doodude wrote:Also, the DC simply connects directly to the monitor via the VGA box, correct? Theres no preamp or anything else powering this?
both statements are correct
doodude

Post by doodude »

lewisit wrote:
doodude wrote:Also, the DC simply connects directly to the monitor via the VGA box, correct? Theres no preamp or anything else powering this?
Cool. Then I return to my original question. There seem to be quiet a few brands & suppliers of VGA box's on the web.

Are any know to be better or worse than another? More reputable &/or reliable?

jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

i could be wrong here but i beleive the issue is with lcd's that have a forced native resolution.....

my lg 19 in lcd for example is native 1280X1024, and can only be changed by adjusting the pc res settings.....

vga boxes, either the ones made for DC or multi console ones like mine are made to output at 640X480.....which is why the monitors have troublerunning full screen....it cant resize it right...

with a crt you can just spread the image to fill the screen.....this isnt possible with most lcd screens...at least not mine....

i could be completely wrong here tho.....
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

The image on my LCD TV is really soft via DC VGA. I can view the image natively but its about the size of a 19" monitor on a 40" screen which is ridiculous.

The next option is 4:3 filling the vertical axis with huge borders on the side, and the 3rd option is full 16:9 which looks terrible.

As you all pointed out, the best option is a CRT, but I am finding it harder and harder to justify space for a CRT. I already have a cabinet in my room. I will put my DC on my AWSD this coming week (just the picture).
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
racketboy

Post by racketboy »

doodude wrote:
lewisit wrote:
Cool. Then I return to my original question. There seem to be quiet a few brands & suppliers of VGA box's on the web.

Are any know to be better or worse than another? More reputable &/or reliable?

Pretty much all of them are the same -- obviously I'm biased towards my customer service :)

Between the two that I sell, I've been told the shielding is better on the full VGA box, but I can't tell the difference.