Any Do-It-Yourself Saturn Modders?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
jpolz

Any Do-It-Yourself Saturn Modders?

Post by jpolz »

I have 2 US Sega Saturns. I'd like to install a mod chip into one of them.

They are both round buttons w/ 64-pin ICs. Model MK-80000A. I have a mod chip that I bought from RacketBoy. Not sure of the manufacturer, but it's on a purple PCB.

I've seen two different methods of installing the chip. One is the straight forward "solder to pin 8" and the other requires extensive modification of the mod chip itself. I tried tinkering with it and it just seems like I don't have the experience to try and solder anything that delicate.

IS there anybody out there that I can send my saturn to and have them install it? I know we have electronics gurus here, anybody wanna make a quick buck? :)
lawnspic

Post by lawnspic »

I have done several installs on Saturn's, but not a 64 pin. That one is very tricky, and the success rate is grim from what i hear. It is a hit or miss situation. The preferred Saturn to mod is the model 2 with the 32 pin IC. It's a snap because all you have to do is hook up the 5 volt power lead and insert in between the ribbon cable from the board to the laser. You dont need to use the timing lead because you can solder the A+B together with either a wire or just make a solder bridge. Saturn's can be finicky, even more so due to their age. I would not recommend attempting the mod on a 64 pin. If something is not right it wont work or worse fry the laser coil servo's (aka dead laser). You would be better off doing the swap trick to play backups. BTW that is some shit luck winding up with two model 2 Sat's with 64 pin IC's (very uncommon, though do exist).

Your best friends in this matter are

Racketboy
Sega Xtreme
Google

Also i know im being negative regarding the 64 pin, but i will give it another look over for ya
Iron Maiden: "It was dead, but alive at the same time."
themachinist

Post by themachinist »

Is Model MK-80000A a 64 pin Model 2 for sure? I just bought a Model 2 and looked at the #... it's a MK-80000A too.
jpolz

Post by jpolz »

themachinist wrote:Is Model MK-80000A a 64 pin Model 2 for sure? I just bought a Model 2 and looked at the #... it's a MK-80000A too.
More than likely it's a 32-pin, but some do have 64-pin ICs.
themachinist

Post by themachinist »

I should crack mine open. Where exactly is this spot i should be looking at ? :lol: 8)
lawnspic

Post by lawnspic »

i thought you opened them up already, if not more than likely a 32 pin, if you need some work done drop me a line
themachinist

Post by themachinist »

I think he's opened his up, I haven't opened mine up yet.

edit: just opened mine, looks like it's a 32 pin. I looked at the racketboy tutorial and it looks pretty simple, 2 pts to solder. It's been sometime since i last handled a solder (back in 1998 or 99 when i modded my ps1!) but i might give mine a go.
lawnspic

Post by lawnspic »

themachinist wrote:I think he's opened his up, I haven't opened mine up yet.

edit: just opened mine, looks like it's a 32 pin. I looked at the racketboy tutorial and it looks pretty simple, 2 pts to solder. It's been sometime since i last handled a solder (back in 1998 or 99 when i modded my ps1!) but i might give mine a go.

Use the A+B method, dont solder to the IC, its not worth it and easier this way
Aleanil

Post by Aleanil »

I just tried to mod a friend's saturn last weekend, it was rather painful... If it has a pc trap (the sanyo ones) you're pretty much screwed. Szycag had the bad luck of getting *two* Sanyo Saturns, so unfortunately he's still out of luck. =\

The 64 pin is doable though - look here for help http://www.angelfire.com/pa/Raluminat/saturnmod.html

It's basically the same technique as the 32 pin, just not as likely for success.

My own Saturn was a 32 pin, the A+B trick worked like a charm and boots perfectly. Simplest mod I've ever done.
themachinist

Post by themachinist »

lawnspic wrote:
themachinist wrote:I think he's opened his up, I haven't opened mine up yet.

Use the A+B method, dont solder to the IC, its not worth it and easier this way
So I just received my chip and got some soldering questions...

When doing A+B and connecting it with solder, do I just kind of melt the solder along a path from the two points until they're connected?

Also, for soldering the wire to the 5V point, do I need to get it connected/solderd "inside" that little area, or can I solder it to that little nub that sticks out?

Just wanting to be sure I know exactly what I'm doing :) :o....
Aleanil

Post by Aleanil »

All you need to do is solder the A and B points together, by flowing the solder between them to bridge the connection. You can use a multimeter to test it. Then just solder the power wire to the pin - it doesn't matter where on the pin it goes, just so long as it has a good connection. Again, multimeters are friendly :) though, you can even just wedge it into place tightly and it'll work. Great for testing.

G'luck!
themachinist

Post by themachinist »

okay so ive got everything ready and gave it a go...
cept i havent reached the soldering portion yet. the damn ribbon doesnt want to get into the chip and the chip doesnt want to fit into the other socket.. :(. its so fragile im afraid to give it much force for fear i'd break it all. i read that i should file the edges of the chip a little to get it to fit. any ideas about the ribbon?

edit: now the chip fits into the mb after i filed it a little. the ribon still is very unsecure.
lawnspic

Post by lawnspic »

themachinist wrote:okay so ive got everything ready and gave it a go...
cept i havent reached the soldering portion yet. the damn ribbon doesnt want to get into the chip and the chip doesnt want to fit into the other socket.. :(. its so fragile im afraid to give it much force for fear i'd break it all. i read that i should file the edges of the chip a little to get it to fit. any ideas about the ribbon?
Those chips are made in China and there tolerances are shitty. Take a small file and lightly bevel the edge (break the roughness of the edges and the sides as well) of the mod chip being careful not to damge the connectors. Take a light lubricant like WD40(dont worry does not conduct electricity) and wipe the connectors down with a cloth or paper towel. Next take a brush (small art brush or new tooth brush) and lube up the board connector(use just a little) Now gently rock the chip back and forth side to side while pushing down. As far as the ribbon is concerned, lube the connectors on the chip and gently rock it in side to side. Just take your time and dont force anything and it should go smooth.
themachinist

Post by themachinist »

hey lawnspic, much thanks for the tips. the filing and jimmying really did the job. everything has been put in and soldered, a+b mod too.
i just booted it up though and it reads discs as audio and says "checking disk format", for both retail discs and cdr...
maybe i did break something.

EDIT:

I opened it up again to inspect my work and it turns out the chip wasn't seated fully. I pushed it in some more and now it works, thank god.

this experience brought back memories of modding my ps1, hunched over delicate electronics with sweat beading on my forehead!

i hate delicate electronics.
doodude

Post by doodude »

I got a mod chip from Racketboy in the mail a few days ago to mod my US Saturn also.
Ive just opened it up & presto, a 64 pin chip. sigh...:cry:

Can the A/B install be done with this or is it a pain with the 64 chip either way?

Ive found that the A/B install can be done on the 64 pin but with unknown results from console to console. Sounds like a plan to me! :lol:

Im going to give it a shot cuz Ill never be able to solder to the correct pin.

But can someone help me on a little clarification, please?
Looking at the diagram from Segaextreme: http://www.angelfire.com/pa/Raluminat/model264.html
the red wire in steps 1 & 2 is called the signal wire & the green wire is called the 5v power wire. ( although around here the red wire is always the power wire ???)
But then in the next few photos, steps 4 & 5 of the actual mod, there is now a red wire that is now being called the 5v power wire & the green wire is now gone.
Did someone just replace the green wire with the red wire to the 5v power point & Im just being over anally cautious?

And, can I replace the 5v wire ( whatever the color ) with some longer 12v primary wire I have . Does it matter if the volt gauge of the wire is slightly higher than 5v?

Sorry if I seem dense but Im trying to figure it out before hand, ya know!?

themachinist

Post by themachinist »

The wire on the top-right corner of the chip (with the slot where the ribbon goes facing you) is the 5V power wire. I think in that tutorial they've used two different chips w/ diff colored wires. My own chip came with a red power wire.

Sorry can't answer your other question about the wire replacing :o.
doodude

Post by doodude »

Just to update:

All is not well with the Saturn Mod on a 64 pin chip.

I got it all hooked up using the A+B method, double, triple checked the work & still couldnt get 'er done.

Based on the trouble shooting guide Im either not getting power to the right place or Im not bridged correctly or Im just a Modding Loser! :cry:

Everything worked just fine when I put it all back to the original config ( thank Goodness ) so I figure its just the voodoo that goes with trying to mod a 64 pin console or the mod chip is bogus &/or a dud.
I got it from Racketboy so Ill see what, if anything he can do to guide me or replace it but I dont see a replacement as I had to customize the chip to get it as far as I did.

On a good note, I got an Action Replay plus a couple of weeks ago & it makes the "swap trick" easier to do than without it. But its still a hassle I could live without.

If anyone has any ideas Im all ears...
Truth, is in the Mind of the Beholder...
racketboy

Post by racketboy »

Did you ever contact me about this?
Is is a model 1 or 2?