Cap Kit on a New Astro City

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
caldwert

Cap Kit on a New Astro City

Post by caldwert »

Hi,

I was wondering how much a cap kit costs on a new Astro City and how much expertise it would take to put one on. I know you have to discharge the monitor, but I was wondering if anyone had a guide they knew of online or could post some instructions. I have a friend who has a new Astro City that needs a cap kit but I wasn't sure where to even begin. I know some of you are thinking ok this guy is going to get electrocuted, but I don't even think I would attempt unless I was 100% sure of what I was doing. I just wanted to know how big of an undertaking this would be. Reason being is then he'd probably sell the cabinet as its just collecting dust currently.

Any comments are welcome.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

what are the issues with the monitor?
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

Pretty sure he said the sides are wavy. I've seen it on other monitors at auctions before. I thought for sure that meant it just needed a cap kit. I think he might have said it had a lot of green in it as well, but for sure it was the wavy sides of the screen.
Bigsasquatch

Post by Bigsasquatch »

go over to Killercabs and talk to Grantspain....... hes the monitor fix Guru as far as I am concerned......and youll get plenty of good tech advice there....

Not too difficult to replace caps as long as you are a competent with a soldering Iron...... the scariest part is discharging the monitor, and then the difficult part can be finding the caps you need ( especially as CRT's are being phased out )

I just managed to replacea couple of Nanao neck card caps successfully, so it can't be that difficult if I can do it.... :wink:

BIG S
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

theres some good vids on youtube that show you how to discharge a monitor tube and the basics of capping a monitor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX43sT0hMJk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3EEPLjJ ... re=related

dude is pretty cool for posting these.