Download on PC-E Question

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
maxchainsplendid

Download on PC-E Question

Post by maxchainsplendid »

Quick question I'm sure someone here can answer quickly. I've never owned the hucard for the PC-E's Download, yet have played the emulator quite a bit.

As I'm sure many of you know, when playing the emulated version, one of the death screens shows a pic of your dude bailing out, along with the line "I CAN NOT FUCK UP FOR THIS."

Easily a text hack, still, I've always wondered if the actual hucard says this? If not, what does it say? Or is it something in Japanese? I just think it'd be awesome if that's how the game really is. A super solid engrish f-up.

Anyone here own this, that can shed some light?
I CAN NOT FUCK UP FOR THIS.
Ceph

Re: Download on PC-E Question

Post by Ceph »

maxchainsplendid wrote:"I CAN NOT FUCK UP FOR THIS."
The rom you have isn't hacked. I have the hu-card and it's the same.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

This deserves to be the new Zero Wing.
X - P - B
maxchainsplendid

Thats awesome! Thanks for the info dude, I'm picking this up asap, lol
Udderdude

Re: Download on PC-E Question

Post by Udderdude »

maxchainsplendid wrote:"I CAN NOT FUCK UP FOR THIS."
:lol:
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The NEC Avenue produced Download Hu-Card release is famous for it's Engrish use of swearing...

I was laughing my ass off upon seeing the end screen when the main character goes spouting off... ^_~

NECHE (aka NEC Home Electronics), the official U.S. side of NEC of Japan back in the early 1990's that was responsible for distributing the Turbo Grafx-16 console, never released Download as it was for the TG-16 game lineup. It's pretty easy to figure out why... ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
maxchainsplendid

NOWAY!! Never saw the end screen, I'm playing through this as soon as it gets here (picked it up this morning) lol
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

download 2 is a bit odd with it's hitler's brain in a box resurrection storyline.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
CIT

Post by CIT »

I think both Downloads really suck. Never understood why they get mentioned so often in PCE circles.
HardcoreOtaku

Post by HardcoreOtaku »

IMO highly underated game with some of the nicest graphics on Hu-card, the cut scenes are stunning. :D
Zebra Airforce

Post by Zebra Airforce »

img plz
HardcoreOtaku

Post by HardcoreOtaku »

maxchainsplendid

I love it!
Zebra Airforce

Post by Zebra Airforce »

:lol: Thanks!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Excellent, I've never seen sarcastic Engrish before! XD "Shit, is this not a great beginning?"
Last edited by BIL on Fri May 16, 2008 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Download 2 has some pretty damn good cutscene graphics for a non Super CD game.
lgb

Post by lgb »

Has anyone translated either Down Load game, or is there any sort of guide/FAQ that has translations?
maxchainsplendid

TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Thats not correct...
Its supposed to say, " Run the fucking press button"!

Nah, not really. However, I do remember some cuss words in the dialog.
Although its been a long time since I've played them so I cannot verify for sure, and I'm too busy to check the games and see.
I do vaguely remember the "I cannot fuck up for this" quote.
szycag

Post by szycag »

best topic ever
CIT wrote:I think both Downloads really suck. Never understood why they get mentioned so often in PCE circles.
now you know
That is Galactic Dancing
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

FUCK
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Here's a stupid story to share:

I lusted for a PC-Engine-Duo for years, from the momnet I found out about a Compile shmup called "Spriggan". So then, a few years a go I lucked out and won an auction for a package deal with like 20 games. I bought Spriggan separately, and when the Duo-R arrived I promptly blasted through another awesome yet all too familiar Compile game (and I love(d) it). Some point in the following days, dabbling with all the games I got in the package, I popped in Download 2 between sessions of Out Run, Salamander, and Galaga'88.
Download 2 didn't leave the disc tray for about a week.
That game is one of the best CD-ROM presentations of the 20th century.

Gameplay may not be tops, but the whole package really delivers!
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

download 2 is bizarre and has alot of character. it may not be the best shooter ever.... but it's got a cool/odd presentation that makes it memorable.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

Download 2 also has a few cool cheats, including a little-known "crazy mode" (taken from Dengeki PC-Engine magazine):

Code: Select all

Here's a funny alternate mode that you can access in Download 2. Go to the debug menu (ATS press SEL, (I,II)x5, SEL) and choose to view the ending cinema (#9). At the very end, when "NEC Avenue / SOFIX" are shown on the screen and the music has stopped, press and hold UP+SEL+II and keep holding them (?) until the debug menu comes back on. Choose a valid stage, and all the smaller enemies in the game will be replaced by crazy cartoon characters, like Ultraman, Bakabon, Moomin, etc! Each stage has something weird to see. 

This cheat took me a few tries before it worked, so perhaps you should try this with an emu and savestates first.
Battlesmurf

Post by Battlesmurf »

sidetrack- chris-> you didn't have anything to do with Bionic Commando 99', did you?

On topic- I always thought people were joking in regards to the download thing. I must resist the urge to eBay the thing and mess with it at all.
My trade/wanted list
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1135521

Twitch.tv/RedHotHero
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

fuck yeah
<Sidwell> TSS is manlier than a jet figher made of biceps.
PC Engine Fan X!

Battlesmurf wrote:sidetrack- chris-> you didn't have anything to do with Bionic Commando 99', did you?

On topic- I always thought people were joking in regards to the download thing. I must resist the urge to eBay the thing and mess with it at all.
For Battlesmurf,

Might as well "bite the bullet" & get the first Download Hu-Card release just to see just how well NEC Avenue was at the top of their game back in 1990... ^_~

Has a very cool anime opening intro -- very strongly remenisicent of Blade Runner meets cyberpunk themes...

How NECHE USA division of distributing the TG-16 hardware and software line up managed to pass this one up is beyond me -- save for a bit of editing of the usual Engrish swearing shock factor as a novelty, it's a fine Hu-Card shmup release worth checking out...

Only if NECHE and later, Turbo Technologies Incorporated, had increased their limited software lineup with some more killer app game titles, would the TG-16 and Turbo Duo have had a better chance in the American 16-bit console wars. Sure, the import gaming scene was expensive back in the early 1990's but worth it in the end. There are plently of cool PCE shmups to discover and add to your overall gaming collection. ^_~

Good luck on scoring a copy of TTI's USA region Magical Chase Hu-Card...that particular game title is considered the "Holy Grail" of TG-16 software to source/aquire. It'll definitely make a big dent in your wallet/checkbook, that's for sure...

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
PC Engine Fan X!

maxchainsplendid wrote:Image
This is how I would imagine if NECHE would've released Download for the TG-16 -- assuming that it made it past American language censorship team unscathed. Would've caused quite a controversy if it was released as is in the USA.

Done a fine job translating the text there, maxchainsplendid...is it possible to reburn the translated text on to my personal copy of Download? ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

Battlesmurf wrote:sidetrack- chris-> you didn't have anything to do with Bionic Commando 99', did you?
Yes, that was me.
P_HAT

Post by P_HAT »

O.M.F.G.