ESP Galuda and DOJ

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Acid King

ESP Galuda and DOJ

Post by Acid King »

I got this last week and it's pretty sweet. I managed to get to the 5th stage last night on one credit, which is the fastest progress I've made in a shooter yet... anywho, I'm waiting for DOJ in the mail, should get here in a few days, and was wondering how difficult Galuda is in comparison to DOJ.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Galuda's a ways easier than DOJ...then again, so are most shmups. If you've played DDP, DOJ plays much the same, but stuff shoots a LOT more at you, and chaining's also trickier, imo. Still nifty, but be prepared to practice...
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Indeed. ESPGaluda can get pretty tricky if you're really trying to max your score. DOJ is hard anyway you try it.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Yeah, I took a spin through Galuda last night and made it to the stage 3 boss on my first try (well, first try in several months, and I never played it seriously before then).
And I did this on a 4" LCD screen in yoko mode. Sometimes I amaze myself how lazy I am to be bothered to tate a screen that weighs two pounds or so..
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Just got ESPgaluda as well, and it completely blows my mind. I'd have to say that this is the most fun I've had since Shikigami no Shiro 2. It perhaps doesn't have the variety of SNS2, but ESPgaluda is fun from the very start (unlike SNS2 whose first level mostly blows).
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Agreed. ESPGaluda makes me get naked on occasion.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Galuda makes me think of a shooter version of a Max Payne, it's definitely one of the more unique shooters I've ever played. I got DOJ in the mail today and it definitely makes most shooters look like they were designed for prepubescent girls with autism. I did manage to clear the first stage on my first try though, god bless the Donpachi bomb lazer. I think I'm going to go back to Galuda before putting any time into DOJ though.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

loves Galuda. the scoring system is so very satisfying i can't even believe it. DOJ is harder than adamantium (ooh, i hate marvel. i made the reference to make myself cringe). i find comboing is much easier with this game, its staying alive that is the tricky part. i have to bow and pay my respects to some of those patterns though. had it for months and i still can't reliably 1life the first level. Who's the king, BulletMagnet? 8)
I have no sig whatsoever.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Thar be a mutiny brewin' just fer ye, cap'n, ye kin rest assured o' that! :mrgreen:
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

Yeah, well i say yer yella'

i mean.

arr. ye be nuthin but a scurvy sea dog! arr. setting a mutiny aginst yer own captin'

-----------------------
i am so happy i am a pirate. i will NEVER get tired of this tired humor. *laugh*
Nei First

Re: ESP Galuda and DOJ

Post by Nei First »

Acid King wrote:I got this last week and it's pretty sweet. I managed to get to the 5th stage last night on one credit, which is the fastest progress I've made in a shooter yet... anywho, I'm waiting for DOJ in the mail, should get here in a few days, and was wondering how difficult Galuda is in comparison to DOJ.
I'm currently looking hard for these two games man. I'm really curious to see how hard DOJ really is, and Galuda looks fun to play I just hope it's not too easy.
How much did you pay for each of them btw?
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

and Galuda looks fun to play I just hope it's not too easy.
It's only easy compared to other Cave shmups. There's still the normal bullet spray and crazy balls twitching involved. This was also right after Ketsui -- something I consider just as hard as DOJ.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

captain ahar wrote:Yeah, well i say yer yella'

i mean.

arr. ye be nuthin but a scurvy sea dog! arr. setting a mutiny aginst yer own captin'

-----------------------
i am so happy i am a pirate. i will NEVER get tired of this tired humor. *laugh*
I would never let a little white kitten be MY captain :P
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

CMoon wrote:I would never let a little white kitten be MY captain :P
It's "cap'n." :P

And it's a known fact that the cuter the kitten, the more you'll pay for it if you get on its bad side.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

yar i be a fierce kitten now!
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

captain ahar wrote:yar i be a fierce kitten now!

:P :P :P :P

Best avatar EVER!
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
SHMUP sale page.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

It's the infamous cap'n kitt! :mrgreen:
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

I am guessing this pirate captain won't have a parrot sidekick. :lol:
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Well, he might...very briefly. :mrgreen: Which would, of course, call for him to enlist a goldfish to replace the position.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Nei First wrote:
Acid King wrote:
I'm currently looking hard for these two games man. I'm really curious to see how hard DOJ really is, and Galuda looks fun to play I just hope it's not too easy.
DOJ was 79, got it from Play Asia and Galuda was 63 from NCSX. I wound up buying them for myself for my birthday cause I dipped in to my cabinet money one too many times so my plans for a cab by the end of the month were ruined. Maybe next month...
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

If you wait around, deals are out there...I got DOJ new for 45 shipped on eBay, and got Galuda for the same price near-mint from a member here.
japtor

Post by japtor »

i posted something last week about dojs difficulty...apparently the forum swallowed up the post.

anyways, the gist of my post was that doj wasnt as hard as everyone made it out to be. i got the board a few weeks ago and was surprised at how accessible it was, at least after the initial orientation whooping (technically the first time i played was last year on a ps2 where i got to level 3). the first 2 levels are pretty easy, and level 3 isnt that bad once you get used to it (not counting the bosses, just the levels themselves). ketsuis 2nd and 3rd levels are harder personally. im hitting a wall on the 2nd half of 4 though, difficulty ramps up quite a bit from that point.

course i havent played galuda yet so i cant compare to that. doj is basically a bigger and badder ddp for the most part, i dont consider it a whole new world of pain or anything though, i think ddp holds its own against it.
Neon

Post by Neon »

Stage 3 isn't so bad once you know when to dispatch which enemies...if you're not in the right place at the right time in the later half, the pseudo-helicopters will fill the screen with pink death and you can say goodbye to that life.

Thing about DOJ is that it's a member of the 'pachi family in name only...much darker atmosphere. The wonky announcers/musics from the previous installments are MIA, little flowers don't grow out of destroyed enemies etc. If you're in a happy/goofy mood, it's better to play DDP.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Neon wrote: Thing about DOJ is that it's a member of the 'pachi family in name only...much darker atmosphere.
This is true. DOJ doesn't wait until level 3 to start spanking you.
SHMUP sale page.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

japtor wrote:anyways, the gist of my post was that doj wasnt as hard as everyone made it out to be. i got the board a few weeks ago and was surprised at how accessible it was...
In my opinion, at least, being "accessible" and being "easy" aren't the same thing; a game can be accessible enough for people to pick up and practice when they want to, but can still be plenty tough to master.
incognoscente

Post by incognoscente »

Neon wrote:Thing about DOJ is that it's a member of the 'pachi family in name only...much darker atmosphere.
Oh shit, and there I was playing with bee medals and Getting Point.
BIG

Post by BIG »

Difficulty-wise,DOJ takes the cake. ESPGaluda isn't all that easy,unless you're a seasoned vet. I'd say,ESPG is just a bit more,um...forgiving ;)

B-
Rob

Post by Rob »

Neon wrote:Thing about DOJ is that it's a member of the 'pachi family in name only...much darker atmosphere.
Meh? Bright lights emanating from city on stage 1, dance-like soundtrack, fucking dolls as pilots? I think atmosphere is the one thing that was really off the mark in this game. DDP was darker - yeah, the voice is human, but robotic and cold like the rest of the game. I'm not sure what they were thinking with DOJ.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Neon wrote: Thing about DOJ is that it's a member of the 'pachi family in name only...much darker atmosphere. The wonky announcers/musics from the previous installments are MIA, little flowers don't grow out of destroyed enemies etc. If you're in a happy/goofy mood, it's better to play DDP.
I miss the old announcer from Donpachi.

Keep your finger on the trigger, rookie!
Neon

Post by Neon »

Rob wrote:
Meh? Bright lights emanating from city on stage 1, dance-like soundtrack, fucking dolls as pilots? I think atmosphere is the one thing that was really off the mark in this game. DDP was darker - yeah, the voice is human, but robotic and cold like the rest of the game. I'm not sure what they were thinking with DOJ.
"Dolls" is kinda engrishy, they're more like lifeless machines...like the end of level sequences where their heads are removed or they're looking serious, never smiling...DDP on the other hand, nothing's more whacky than the boss music for that game.