PS2 graphics

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
MattR

PS2 graphics

Post by MattR »

Hi Shmupers,

I have a PS2 in my Astro City cabinet. I use a JPAC and the Ultimarc PS2/AV console adapter to connect to the Naneo 29" monitor (Std/Med). The connection is RGB.

I find that the graphics of many shmups blocky e.g. Raiden 3, Espgaluda and DoDonPachi Daioujyo. While games like Gradius V and RType Final look rather good. (The later two being budget buys, so rather good value!)

Are the arcade graphics different in the PS2 port? I was of the impression that the original arcades for these titles used Std resolution monitors so I don't know why the quality is so different.

I can always buy the PCBs but unfortunately the cost not in aligned to my income bracket. :D

Cheers,
Matt
Dave_K.

Re: PS2 graphics

Post by Dave_K. »

MattR wrote:Hi Shmupers,

I have a PS2 in my Astro City cabinet. I use a JPAC and the Ultimarc PS2/AV console adapter to connect to the Naneo 29" monitor (Std/Med). The connection is RGB.

I find that the graphics of many shmups blocky e.g. Raiden 3, Espgaluda and DoDonPachi Daioujyo. While games like Gradius V and RType Final look rather good. (The later two being budget buys, so rather good value!)

Are the arcade graphics different in the PS2 port? I was of the impression that the original arcades for these titles used Std resolution monitors so I don't know why the quality is so different.

I can always buy the PCBs but unfortunately the cost not in aligned to my income bracket. :D

Cheers,
Matt
Welcome Matt. :D To much to explain to you in one post. But in short, PS2 games output a different type of signal than most arcade PCBs. If you rotate the monitor in your Astro, bootup ESPGaluda, and put it into "tate" mode, you will see exactly the same output as the real PCB. And judging by your comments, I'm guessing you are not going to like the original "blocky" look. :D But trust me, this is the way the game is supposed to look and be played.

BTW: Gradius V and R-Type Final are PS2 only games. That should tell you something right there.
Last edited by Dave_K. on Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
MattR

Post by MattR »

Thanks Dave.

Glad to know i've got it all setup correctly then. I was contemplating putting in a hires monitor but I don't think it is worthwhile at this stage. I will wait for hires PCBs or a PS3 to come along :D

The graphics in Mushimini sama are quite good in TATE. I think it is the best looking port (of the 4 I currently own) but I don't have Ibara yet.

Cheers,
Matt
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

MattR wrote: The graphics in Mushimini sama are quite good in TATE. I think it is the best looking port (of the 4 I currently own) but I don't have Ibara yet.
Hehe, you will find quite the opposite opinion here. Maybe when you say graphics, you mean just the sprites look cool, but the way they are displayed on a monitor (interlacing/filtering) is what most people here don't like very much in shooters. Anyway, as long as you are happy playing it, thats all that matters, and if you like Mushi, you will definately love the graphics in Ibara.
MattR

Post by MattR »

Dave_K. wrote: Maybe when you say graphics, you mean just the sprites look cool, but the way they are displayed on a monitor (interlacing/filtering) is what most people here don't like very much in shooters.
So Mushimini sama in TATE is filtered or interlaced or both? How do I tell? (reading manual is out of question. It's Japanese) :D

In Mushimini sama the graphics look good but are a little blurred (std res, non-interlaced, filtered?) While Raiden 3 the graphics look blocky (std res, non-interlaced, unfiltered?). Gameplay and design put to one side I think Mushimini sama looks better than Raiden 3 because of the filtering.. I guess this is how the long debate threads are born! :roll:

Are there many PS2 shmups ported from Arcades that make use of interlacing?

Do most modern Arcade shmups run in Standard resolution still?

Sorry for all the questions. As I get older things take longer to stick :wink:

Cheers,
Matt
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Well I'd point you to this thread (its 3 pages long now), discussing these same questions, in much more depth, but it will probably lead you to more questions. Probably best you don't think about it much, and just enjoy the games for now.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=7641
japtor

Post by japtor »

MattR wrote:So Mushimini sama in TATE is filtered or interlaced or both? How do I tell? (reading manual is out of question. It's Japanese) :D
i think its high res (scaled up from low res) and filtered. on a standard res display, its interlaced, instead of low res progressive. ...i think. this is all from memory along with filling in gaps with my own general knowledge.
In Mushimini sama the graphics look good but are a little blurred (std res, non-interlaced, filtered?) While Raiden 3 the graphics look blocky (std res, non-interlaced, unfiltered?). Gameplay and design put to one side I think Mushimini sama looks better than Raiden 3 because of the filtering.. I guess this is how the long debate threads are born! :roll:
raiden 3 is high res. im not sure what signal youre getting though. i dont remember anything about r3 other than it looking crappy on a standard res display (from the arcade type-x version).
Are there many PS2 shmups ported from Arcades that make use of interlacing?
no clue. the 3d ones are probably all high res, which should do interlacing on a standard res display, although they could potentially output low res. not sure about 2d ones other than the recent cave games.
Do most modern Arcade shmups run in Standard resolution still?
2d ones do...although i cant think of any 2d ones outside of caves. naomi and type-x are high res, but can output low. ive seen ikaruga and border down on cabs w/standard res displays and they looked fine, along with other random naomi games. ive only read about raiden 3 looking like ass on low res. i dont know if type-xs low res output just sucks, or naomis is good or what.
Dave_K. wrote:Well I'd point you to this thread (its 3 pages long now), discussing these same questions, in much more depth, but it will probably lead you to more questions. Probably best you don't think about it much, and just enjoy the games for now.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=7641
thats mean to point him there. resolution threads on shmups are painful.
MattR

Post by MattR »

japtor wrote:http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=7641
thats mean to point him there. resolution threads on shmups are painful.
Yes. I see that now.

Thanks for your help guys. Much appreciated.
antron

Post by antron »

I too am using a PS2->JAMMA setup from Ultimarc on a Nanao 29. My issue is with interlacing flicker, not color. My Saturn looks great on this monitor. What is the Saturn doing differently? Low res progressive?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

What is the Saturn doing differently? Low res progressive?
exactly. Want the 480i games to look about the same ? PS2->XRGB->Emotia->Arcade Monitor.
ReKleSS

Post by ReKleSS »

If you dig up my deinterlacing hack you can probably apply it to other games too. The code I modified is in one of Sony's graphics libraries, so I'd expect most games to be using it.
弾もまたいで通る
antron

Post by antron »

ReKleSS wrote:If you dig up my deinterlacing hack you can probably apply it to other games too. The code I modified is in one of Sony's graphics libraries, so I'd expect most games to be using it.
here i guess
thanks
antron

Post by antron »

ReKleSS wrote:If you dig up my deinterlacing hack you can probably apply it to other games too. The code I modified is in one of Sony's graphics libraries, so I'd expect most games to be using it.
I found the strings and replaced them both in Gradius V, but got no video.

But I guess it doesn't make much sense to deinterlace Gradius, being that it wasn't an arcade port and was designed interlaced. I will be trying your hack on some others though.

Edit:
But Ibara looks much better.