Shinobi: Shadow Dancer question

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
shinsage

Shinobi: Shadow Dancer question

Post by shinsage »

Hey, I just beat this and noticed that when it goes back to the title screen, it says Shadow Dancer II. I took pictures to show the difference:

Original:

After beating the game:

Anyone know what's up, if there are any differences?
I know there's a few SD fans here.
If no one knows, does anyone know a good Genesis/Mega Drive forum that could help out?
BIL

Post by BIL »

IIRC, that's the game's equivalent of a second loop. If you beat "Part II" it should go to Part III. In the US version, at least, you can go straight to parts II and III by upping the difficulty in the options menu.
shinsage

Post by shinsage »

Ha, figured that'd be it. Much thanks man.
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

Really good game, good music to boot.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Yeah, this Genesis game has aged really gracefully and still kicks as much ass as it did on release. 8)

(Was great that it was included in Sega Genesis Collection for PSP/PS2)
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

Doesn't kick anywhere near as much ass as Shinobi 3.

Fricking one-hit-death ruins it.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Bill wrote:IIRC, that's the game's equivalent of a second loop. If you beat "Part II" it should go to Part III. In the US version, at least, you can go straight to parts II and III by upping the difficulty in the options menu.
Apparantly, the US and JP versions are the same. There is no difference at all in JP mode for the US version and the rom version is labelled as (W). The game even has the JP text around the Shinobi logo (for lack of better words, since the Shinobi logo is also JP text) in US mode.
Stormwatch wrote:Doesn't kick anywhere near as much ass as Shinobi 3.

It's designed to play more like the arcade Shinobis (though the MD/Genesis Shadow Dancer is an original), which is why it has the 1 hit death.
shinsage

Post by shinsage »

I used to be a proponent for Shadow Dancer being my favorite among the Genesis trilogy, but after my recent playing, I can't help but try to understand what I was thinking.

I guess I tried to make something more out of it, but at the time I used to be in love with this game. The 1-hit kills don't bother me, honestly.

I used to find Revenge of Shinobi boring but I just started that up earlier tonight and am finding some odd enjoyment out of it.

Still don't like having to fight boring army guys with guns, but whatever. No one talks much about the Hulk/Terminator-inspired boss, either, I rather enjoyed that fight.

Pulling off a double jump can be a real pain in the ass, too. Hesitate for a split second or wait too long and you're fucked.

And god, all these years I've had a Saturn and I still don't own Legions.

Where's Andi?
BIL

Post by BIL »

BrianC wrote:Apparantly, the US and JP versions are the same. There is no difference at all in JP mode for the US version and the rom version is labelled as (W). The game even has the JP text around the Shinobi logo (for lack of better words, since the Shinobi logo is also JP text) in US mode.
Oh yeah, I think I remember wondering about that JP text at the intro "The Secret of Shinobi" screen. Thanks for the confirmation on the JP version's difficulty! Never quite finished "Loop III" back in the day.
Stormwatch wrote:Doesn't kick anywhere near as much ass as Shinobi 3.

I kind of like SD's more restrictive but also higher-precision style. I'd consider Revenge and Shinobi III more entertaining games overall (especially for boss battles and magic), but SD has that constant feeling of deadly risk to it. That pitch-black stage (4-2 I think) used to make me almost paranoid about getting ambushed, heh. It makes me feel a lot closer to suddenly getting killed than the other two games, although there's the arcade design showing through.
Fighter17 wrote:Really good game, good music to boot.
Yeah, its soundtrack is great. Something that always struck me about Genesis Shinobi music were the consistently strong "basslines" in each game. SD's 3-2 BGM (elevator stage) is my favourite example from that game.
shinsage wrote:Still don't like having to fight boring army guys with guns, but whatever. No one talks much about the Hulk/Terminator-inspired boss, either, I rather enjoyed that fight.
Stuff like that is what I think SD is sorely missing. Revenge's boss fights felt so much more over-the-top and elaborate, as did a lot of Shinobi III's.
it290

Post by it290 »

Shinobi 1 is the ultimate Shinobi.

As an aside, I used to visit the GameFAQs Genesis board once in a while and there is this guy (not sure if he's still there) who had a semi-autistic obsession with this game, particularly the stage 3 boss. He's all over the internet with this stuff. Here's one of his posts:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122

At some point I discovered that he had actually started a Shadow Dancer forum, which had hundreds of posts all created by him. Unfortunately I can't find it, but it was pretty great -- like Recap's boards x 100.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
JBC

Post by JBC »

I could see becoming obsessed with the Shinobi series. It's unfortunate that there is still no word of a new one being in development. I would absolutely adore the return of Hotsuma, Hayate or Joe Musashi.

I love the dog mechanic of the Shadow Dancer games though. Injecting that aspect into the play style of PS2 Shinobi would be killer if they could pull it off fluidly.

Jesus that guy really likes Shadow Dancer.
Godzilla was an inside job
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

it290 wrote:At some point I discovered that he had actually started a Shadow Dancer forum, which had hundreds of posts all created by him. Unfortunately I can't find it, but it was pretty great -- like Recap's boards x 100.
Found it. Internet is a scary place.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
D

Post by D »

Thunder Force wrote:Yeah, this Genesis game has aged really gracefully and still kicks as much ass as it did on release. 8)

Did this come out for ps2 in Japan? Anybody?
shinsage

Post by shinsage »

I was obsessed with SD for a while too, but not as much as that guy.

What does he mean in this thread:
http://daminmancejin6.proboards76.com/i ... 1138212193

Anybody know if this is true? I doubt it, but what the hell is he talking about...
D

Post by D »

shinsage wrote:I was obsessed with SD for a while too, but not as much as that guy.

Anybody know if this is true? I doubt it, but what the hell is he talking about...
:lol:
As I recall there is a girl somewhere standing besides the boss and the point is to not hit her, but hit the boss obviously. I might be mistaken with another game: Eswat or something, but I recall somewhere in a game where you can't kill the girl no matter how much you kick her a$$ :lol:
Or there might be a non-male boss somewhere.
it290

Post by it290 »

Yeah, the stage 3 boss is a chick. She even has her own board... (Thanks Ghegs)

edit: I'm a little worried about serial killer potential here:
Her liquidation phase must be terrible, your pictures are showing very good like she is disintegrating herself, she is so much in pain, she is killed completely with her boots, much too young to die, she is a girl in her 20s and her death is so terrible.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sweet Jesus. Ms Stage 3 Boss has her own cult.
Andi

Post by Andi »

shinsage wrote:Where's Andi?
Ha! Yeah. I'm here. Shadow Dancer and Shin Shinobi Den are the fucking bomb. I couldn't give two shits about the rest of the series.

The emphasis in both games seems to be more on dispatching enemies in a variety of clever arrangements rather than platforming jumping about - especially Shadow Dancer. And the dog is just really fun.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

D wrote:
Thunder Force wrote:Yeah, this Genesis game has aged really gracefully and still kicks as much ass as it did on release. 8)

Did this come out for ps2 in Japan? Anybody?
I don't think so. You need the US version. Important to note the PAL versions of this collection were renamed "Sega Mega Drive Collection" and Shadow Dancer was actually removed from the PAL versions, so buyer beware!
it290 wrote:Yeah, the stage 3 boss is a chick. She even has her own board... (Thanks Ghegs)
That is beyond bizarre.
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
Zebra Airforce

Post by Zebra Airforce »

Ghegs wrote: Found it. Internet is a scary place.
I've been inside the maniac's mind :shock:
grape, from ShadowDancer forum wrote:I have 2 questions for you:

How old could be the girl?

If she is liquidated, suffer her boots the same fate?

What are your opinions about that?
What the fuck?
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

"You need the US version. Important to note the PAL versions of this collection were renamed "Sega Mega Drive Collection" and Shadow Dancer was actually removed from the PAL versions, so buyer beware!"

Seems it's back in again...at least in this European collection:

http://www.megadrive-portable.de/

The thing costs 50 Euros in Germany (online) and they're planning to sell it through one of the local supermarket chains (Lidl, Aldi etc.) next year.
I ordered one, finally getting my portable Shinobi/ Shadow Dancer fix :D
Zebra Airforce

Post by Zebra Airforce »

What does he mean in this thread?
edit: I'm a little worried about serial killer potential here
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

D wrote:
shinsage wrote:I was obsessed with SD for a while too, but not as much as that guy.

:lol:
As I recall there is a girl somewhere standing besides the boss and the point is to not hit her, but hit the boss obviously. I might be mistaken with another game: Eswat or something, but I recall somewhere in a game where you can't kill the girl no matter how much you kick her a$$ :lol:
Or there might be a non-male boss somewhere.
Yeah, the stage 2 boss of E-SWAT's like that. I guess he was lucky to grab a girl with kevlar for skin when he went looking for a human shield.

I've never played up to this blade saw babe in Shadow Dancer, but now I just have to. Is she in both versions, or exclusive to the arcade or Genesis?
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
BIL

Post by BIL »

I don't know about the arcade (only played the first couple stages), but she's definitely the Stage 3 Boss in Genesis / MD Shadow Dancer.

Actually, I would be almost certain she isn't in the arcade one, or those chaps in that forum would probably be comparing liquidation phases or whatever there too.

edit: the inspiration for "Bladesaw Babe" and her mad followers, at the end of this video. Watch part 2 to see Joe moonlight as a NASA troubleshooter! http://youtube.com/watch?v=dWD-gzy18nI&feature=related
shinsage

Post by shinsage »

Playing Revenge recently, two things:

1. Whoever it was at Sega who thought adding mazes in the last level (Alien Storm had this too) is a fucking idiot.

2. The last boss is freakin impossible, argh :-(

EDIT: ok, just beat it twice in a row to see both endings, amazing game. can't believe I used to hate on it.
grape

Post by grape »

llo,

I have problems to liquidate the young woman in boots on the Statue of Liberty in stage 3-3 from the Sega Genesis / Mega Drive game Shadow Dancer.
Could anybody give me tips for eliminating the girl?
I would be very grateful for every help.

Here you can see a screenshot from the girl.

Regards

Jan
Asherdude

Post by Asherdude »

I love Shadow Dancer! I'm hoping that this game will make it to the Virtual Console in the states soon.
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

Nice avy Asherdude. Dan from Gaiares if I'm not mistaken.
Rather bizzare thay my avy matches the posture. :shock:

Anyway. I've been privileged enough to play the megadrive shinobi games and I must say that the third is my favorite. The music is among the best on the megadrive. I strongly feel that the modern Shinobi games are too gimmicky and just don't have the same pace or play as the original games.
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

I need to get Shadow Dancer again!

I have not play this game since 1992 when I sell it. What I use to do as a child was I get a game, play it tons, beat it, then sell it of shortly after.

I really like Shadow Dancer -- I have fun good times with it.

That one fellows board is crazy lol :lol:
Silly that some people are obsess with something. I am obsess with video games but I am not crazy fellow 8)
Asherdude

Post by Asherdude »

Pixel_Outlaw wrote:Nice avy Asherdude. Dan from Gaiares if I'm not mistaken.
Rather bizzare thay my avy matches the posture. :shock:
Yeah, that's Dan. Thanks! Not very many people would recognize him. He's going to be my new avy for 2008. That is, unless something better comes along. :)

You know, I've never played Shinobi 3, even though I loved Shadow Dancer. I just never picked it up.