£5 for PC version of Silvergun?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Diabollokus

£5 for PC version of Silvergun?

Post by Diabollokus »

Not sure if somebody posted this earlier, but seen this ebay sale a while ago and the guy was selling a PC version of radiant silvergun, the auction went and a guy won it for about a fiver.

being an inquisitve type who has just bought a real copy, I emailed the buyer about a week later and asked him what it was like.

He said'' its some sort of copy with an emulator strapped to it, plays great with all the saturn extras and the graphics are even better in higher resolution'' he had it on his hard drive now and offered to sell it to me I never replied.

He didn't say anything about sound quality though, Has saturn emulation come this far?
Vidi Vici Veni
kong

Post by kong »

I'm sure it's just the hacked version of the giri giri emulator with a warezed copy of silvergun attached. The emulator isn't perfect, the sound emulation is pretty bad, and you need a fairly fast computer to get it to run at decent fps.
Frogacuda

Post by Frogacuda »

The new version of SSF plays Radiant Silvergun alot better that Giri Giri. Some of the sound effets don't play (SSF's sound emulation is still incomplete), but other than than that it's dead perfect. The music is way better than Giri Giri. This emulator has made huge strides lately. Also great for Cotton 2, Guardian Force, and Silhouette Mirage. Check it out:

http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~phantasy/ssf/index.html

You'll need a bios ROM to use it though.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Yeah thats probably the one that was being sold.

Sound quality and the ability to use a saturn controller (i know theres a pc equivalent) and sitting in a comfy chair for the ride are worth the extra cash I suppose. (+ that sexy artwork)

Weird though, I'm tempted to accquire it and have it up on a laptop, you could probably rip the music tracks from the orchestrated soundtrack into it to improve it but the explosions and effects would still be bad.
Vidi Vici Veni
Frogacuda

Post by Frogacuda »

Diabollokus wrote:Yeah thats probably the one that was being sold.
No, it's probably not. That emulator is only a week or two old. I'd bet anything he's using the old Giri Giri hack which is simply not as good.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

dam your up to date.
Vidi Vici Veni
Neon

Post by Neon »

SSF has surpassed girigiri in the latest release, one more chip and then Saturn will be almost fully emulated.

ƒGƒ~ƒ…ƒŒ?[ƒg?ó‹µ
SH2 emulator 100%
68000 emulator 95%
VDP1 block 100%
VDP2 block 90%
SCU block 90%
SMPC block 100%
SCSP block 20%
CD block 80%

It has some pretty severe input lag though, and some graphics/sound glitches still exist in most games.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Nooooooooooooo! Why can't they just leave the saturn alone!

Hmmmmmmmm. Maybe the games will drop in price.......
Vidi Vici Veni
Ganelon

Re: £5 for PC version of Silvergun?

Post by Ganelon »

Diabollokus wrote:Has saturn emulation come this far?
Welcome to 2 years ago when the Giri Giri hack and Gsaturn already dominated the scene.

Yeah, SSF is not only better but it's also fully legal (minus the BIOS) unlike the reverse engineered Giri Giri-based emulators culminating with Cassini, which stopped being developed due to fears of Sega suing them.