Rob's 91-95 arcade countdown: hidden gem search.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
shinsage

Post by shinsage »

1. I never knew Blaze On was an arcade game.

2. looks so, so much better than the port.
Rob

Post by Rob »

#7 Cybattler (Jaleco, 1993)
ImageImageImageImage
Flashy scrolling arena-style shooter. Move in eight directions and hold the fire button to lock in place or slash up close with the second button. Hectic action on the stages preferred to the lifebar-draining clunky pattern heavy bosses. Feels a little too imprecise, or just cheap.
Rob

Post by Rob »

#6 Super Spacefortress Macross II (Banpresto, 1993)
ImageImage
You get infinite lives and the focus is shifted to meeting a scoring goal before the time runs out. Of course you won't be able to meet the third or fourth level goals, since losing a life resets the medal values and you miss out on numerous surplus item bonus points as well. Lots of hidden bonuses, emphasis on destroying everything quickly so more enemies will appear. Much like Caravan games/modes, except with more scoring items. Huge improvement over the first game.

Trivia!: appeared in STGT '06 week 1 poll, receiving 3% of the vote. Over 50% less than Cotton.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Finally the best.

#5! Turbo Force (Video System Co., 1991)
ImageImageImageImage
Some environment obstacles and projectiles shaped like something other than orange circles. Huh? Who is this? I never would've imagined this would be any better than Aero Fighters. I loathe Aero Fighters as much as I love Psikyo. AF is everything that is bad about early Psikyo games with none of what I find appealing. So how can I enjoy Turbo Force so much? No pretend ship "variety" - you get a flying car. There is no bomb button, no way to panic out of a boss pattern. You have to dodge it or you die. There are special bomb-like items that can be grabbed on a stage, but there are none to lose unless you let them time out. After playing this I can kind of relate to the guy who doesn't like later Psikyo games for not being pure enough. This is the (pre-)Psikyo spirit at its most pure.
CIT

Post by CIT »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JoshF

Post by JoshF »

MegaShock! | @ YouTube | Latest Update: Metal Slug No Up Lever No Miss
Rob

Post by Rob »

#4! Thunder Dragon 2 (NMK, 1993)
ImageImageImageImage
This is the biggest improvement in any shooter sequel I have ever played (65 place jump on this list, basically from worst to best). They fixed the main problem with that game, which was the inability to dodge anything without knowing or lucking upon a safe spot. My one complaint is bullet visibility, the dark blue to white flashing an extremely poor choice with an outline of little benefit. The ship is smaller and faster, perfect. Lots of hidden bonus items to hunt around for while dodging. You can even destroy the stage intro for extra points (and an extra bomb if you can get every last letter). Awesome announcer, I only wish I could understand. I can almost see the reason for NMK fandom.

Top 3 tomorrow. 8)
Shinichi Chiba

Post by Shinichi Chiba »

CIT wrote:

The final boss is a huge car throwing freaking lexus symbols at you !
I mean come on !!
Terry Tsurugi's Father : Listen my son, TRUST NO ONE! You can count on no one but YOURSELF. Improve your skills, son, harden your body, become a NUMBER ONE MAN! Do not ever let ANYONE beat you!
JoshF

Post by JoshF »

Those three must be MONSTERS of innovation in recreational electronic media if they can out-GAMEPLAY Turbo Force.
MegaShock! | @ YouTube | Latest Update: Metal Slug No Up Lever No Miss
D

Post by D »

the thread eva

Top 3:
-Gunbird
-
-
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

I don't think Gunbird qualifies as "hidden" :lol:

Final 3 already?? I think there are a few missing...

Operation Ragnarok and Rapid Hero (NMK 1994)
Double Wings (Mitchell 1993)
Fixeight (Toaplan 1992)
Ninja Commando (ADK 1992)
Varth (Capcom 1992)
Chimera Beast (Jaleco 1993)
ASO II (1991)

Oh the excitement... will R-Type Leo and Xexex be among the top 3?
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Operation Ragnarok = Zed Blade
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
j^aws

Post by j^aws »

D wrote:the thread eva

Top 3:
-Gunbird
-
-
Gunbird wouldn't surprise me; just been playing it. It's still enjoyable; maybe even more than Strikers 1945...

It's a shame that a lot of games were missed from the overall list though...
"All that matters really is taste. He might like the game, he might not." - Anonymous
P_HAT

Post by P_HAT »

CIT wrote:

JoshF wrote:Image
szycag

Post by szycag »

Turbo Force is so broken. At least I can bear to play the Aero Fighters games. You mean to say you like the handling of that POS car and the weapons that power down after a few shots? I hope never to play so many crappy shmups that Turbo Force would look remotely good.

Are we going to get a list of the games that you didn't think were crappy enough to include (read: too popular or whatever)
That is Galactic Dancing
Macaw

Post by Macaw »

Well the top 10 has already had 2 NMK games so far (Macross 2 and Thunder Dragon 2) and Rapid Hero is certainly still to come in the top 3, and not to mention P-47 Aces was 12th.

Final Conclusion = Rob is an NMK fan.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Wow...I almost feel proud to have cleared Macross II now. I used to just feel shame. A memorizer if there ever was one.

BTW...final boss = pain in the ass.
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

CIT wrote:

me too.

Funny how the automatic powerdown that Rob finds as an issue in #51 (A.F #2) is not a problem here... Turbo Force is also flawed w/ so many bugs irt almost embarrasing to play. And yes I own the PCB and there 're not emulatoin bugs. Im sure Rob's list was meant as an april fool joke 6 months late.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

It's not an automatic powerdown.
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
Rob

Post by Rob »

Haha.

But I... like it. The powering down aspect is much more tolerable in Turbo Force.
Are we going to get a list of the games that you didn't think were crappy enough to include (read: too popular or whatever)
Yeah. For the record I think the games at the top of the list here are at least as enjoyable as the games I excluded.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Twiddle wrote:It's not an automatic powerdown.
And there seem to be much more power up items, which occasionally increase it more than one or two levels. I'd much rather play this than "get max power for 10 seconds!" Sengoku Ace or Gunbird.
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

Twiddle wrote:It's not an automatic powerdown.
What are you talking about ? Your firepower nudges 1 level down after 20s once it got maxed out. Just like in Aerofighter.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

The powerdown is ammo based instead of time-based. You power down after 10-12 "bursts" instead of 20 seconds, encouraging ammo conservation without cutting you off like in Cyvern. You also get enough pickups so you can be in max power 2/3 of the time.
unban shw
viniciusvbf

Post by viniciusvbf »

Twiddle wrote:The powerdown is ammo based instead of time-based. You power down after 10-12 "bursts" instead of 20 seconds, encouraging ammo conservation without cutting you off like in Cyvern. You also get enough pickups so you can be in max power 2/3 of the time.
Aero Fighters 2 is also ammo based.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

So many games better than Viewpoint can only mean: life is good.
viniciusvbf

Post by viniciusvbf »

Oh and you forgot the best part of turbo force:
3 PLAYERS CAN PLAY AT THE SAME TIME :shock:
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

viniciusvbf wrote:Oh and you forgot the best part of turbo force:
With everybody kung fu fighting evertime a powerup shows up.
viniciusvbf

Post by viniciusvbf »

yojo! wrote:
viniciusvbf wrote:Oh and you forgot the best part of turbo force:
With everybody kung fu fighting evertime a powerup shows up.
Power ups that stays on the screen for 2 seconds are fun.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Especially when they don't bounce around the top half.
Rob

Post by Rob »

#3! V-V (Toaplan, 1993)
ImageImageImageImage
V-V has all of the difficulty of Toaplan's other games with as many bullets as they could manage with V-V's midsized, relatively slim hitbox. If you die you can speed up right away (no reserve power up items needed and to perfect speed - Toaplan actually took a Gradius formula and made it less frustrating, mind blown). You have a powerful combined "laser" and spread shot by default, like DonPachi without manual rapidfire. So refreshing after playing games like Tatsujin-Oh, a game that sends you back out with nothing. They were even feeling generous enough to offer a one-time shield. They let you enjoy an abusive game the fun way, finally. Shame the graphics aren't as nice as they were in Dogyuun or Tatsujin-Oh, but GAMEPLAY COUNTS FIRST!

This is Cave's Turbo Force.