XRGB 2 Plus - should I buy or should I not?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Franz the Stampede

XRGB 2 Plus - should I buy or should I not?

Post by Franz the Stampede »

hello again

I'm finally thinking about getting an XRGB 2+. Not because I want to double the resolution of those poor old games that runned in "240p" (note the quotation marks) but because I hate interlacement. I REALLY REALLY hate it. I hate the fact that last generation consoles were not VGA ready. I just want to play my Xbox and PS2 (and VF2 on Saturn ^_^) games with P-scan, just like I can do with my Dreamcast thanks to the VGA box.

Now, I have a 2 questions:

1 - I remember my Scart RGB days with my Dreamcast and I remember when I switched to the VGA box/Progressive scan. Can I expect the same result with 480i PS2 and Xbox games? Can XRGB 2+ (fed with scart RGB and 60Hz PAL) can make those games look as if they were natively in 640×480 like on Dreamcast?

2 - I have my consoles connected to a Joytech AV Centre. I know Jap RGB Scart is wired differently. If I made a SCART cable that on one end plugs with a EU layout to the Joytech AV Centre and on the other end is wired JAP-style to connect to the XRGB, will I have the problem solved?

3 - Is there a problem with games that are 576i and 50Hz? To which resolution/refresh rate do those get upscanned?

So let me know, especially about the first one.
Thanks a bunch as usual :)
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

1. No.
2. Yes. 8)
All errors are intentional but mistakes could have been made.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

1: it looks damn close, I have a PS2 hooked up via XRGB2+ and a PS3 that outputs progressive and they look mighty close to one another. if you are looking to get progressive from those consoles like I was you'll be happy.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

For Franz the Stampede,

The 2nd generation XRGB-2 upscan convertor is perfectly capable of accepting either native Japanese RGB 21-pin interface setup (or a bit of modification inside the XRGB-2's PCB, configurable to accept the European SCART 21-pin interface setup)... ^_~

So you might to check into maybe getting such a XRGB-2 setup instead. It also supports the arcade PCBs at 15 kHz low-resolution output rates as well + support for the really odd-ball arcade PCBs such as the Taoplan & Seibu Kaihatsu produced arcade PCBs..... ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Well my results are nothing of that compared to others here.

VGA from DC looks much better than anything i've thrown into the XRGB2.

Secondly, XRGB2+ does not accept progressive signals in any shape or form. If you take RGB in and turn V-line off (to get rid of the scanlines) you will get a line doubled image, not a progressive one.

And thirdly, the XRGB2 and + are designed to make games appear to be interlaced on a VGA monitor, which is exactly the opposite of what your wishing for. :roll:
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Franz the Stampede

Post by Franz the Stampede »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Well my results are nothing of that compared to others here.

VGA from DC looks much better than anything i've thrown into the XRGB2.

Secondly, XRGB2+ does not accept progressive signals in any shape or form. If you take RGB in and turn V-line off (to get rid of the scanlines) you will get a line doubled image, not a progressive one.

And thirdly, the XRGB2 and + are designed to make games appear to be interlaced on a VGA monitor, which is exactly the opposite of what your wishing for. :roll:
I know, that's why I put quotation marks around 240p. I know it's not exactly progressive, but since you can't see any interlacement (becausae the same line is shown at every single refresh), I'll consider it progressive scan.

Regarding your third point, you better be completely mistaken. I thought the main purpose of the XRGB 2+ was to have stuff in 640×480 progressive, just like a Dreamcast with VGA box does.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

If you are looking to play systems that do not output 480p, only 240p and 480i, then you have no choice but to deal with them being line double via a XRGB... the results are very satisfying. If your looking to use the DC on a Hi Res display just use a VGA box.

I know it's not REAL progressive but those older systems aren't capable or the games are not.... so you have to take what you can get.

I can't believe anyone would prefer a saturn, psx ect on a HDTV without being line doubled.
Regarding your third point, you better be completely mistaken. I thought the main purpose of the XRGB 2+ was to have stuff in 640×480 progressive, just like a Dreamcast with VGA box does.
those dreamcast games were made in progressive so the VGA box would work to start with. for games that were never made in 480p... well you have to deal with the lines being doubled into 480p. It will be a REAL 480p signal coming out and into your TV... but the game was never actually 480p to start with so it's just being doubled...

An XRGB is a very viable option and does not provide crappy results.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
undamned

Post by undamned »

I like mine. I use it as a scan doubler to play old games in crispy clean pixely goodness on my PC monitor. I recommend it :D
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love