plasma tvs questions

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
gundamalpha

plasma tvs questions

Post by gundamalpha »

i have recently bought a xbox360 and certainly mesmerised with it's display on my edtv. i'm thinking of getting a hd panel but i'm unsure what will happen with other older consoles' display, the one thing i'm certain is that lcd will not do the work. my preference is of course getting a crt panel but they don't have it in widescreen around the place i'm staying. so i'm considering getting a plasma tv with hd ready. so my questions are:

1. what is meant by hd ready? 1080i, 720p and 480p ready?
2. what's the difference by using a hdmi cable vs component cable?
3. what if i want to play older consoles like my snes or sega saturn? will the graphics be compromised like displaying through lcd? i'm asking this since i realised plasma tvs have their own native resolution.

thanks.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

3. what if i want to play older consoles like my snes or sega saturn? will the graphics be compromised like displaying through lcd? i'm asking this since i realised plasma tvs have their own native resolution.
get an XRGB2+ or up and have a VGA port in the plasma TV or if it doesn't have one get a VGA to component transcoder. Your old games will look fantastic on the HD display. I use this myself..
2. what's the difference by using a hdmi cable vs component cable?
you won't really see a difference, either works fine.
1. what is meant by hd ready? 1080i, 720p and 480p ready?
it means it's capable of displaying some if not all HD resolutions. 1080p is the highest right now. it might jack the cost of the TV up a bit, 750p is very good though, 1080i is just 750p interlaced..

If you can get a plasma and an XRGB you will be set... the picture will be great, well assuming you get a good plasma and not a crap one ect.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?