So I found a Sony Trinitron PVM 1942Q Monitor...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
KBZ

So I found a Sony Trinitron PVM 1942Q Monitor...

Post by KBZ »

It's in a pawnshop for $250CAD and would like to see what advice anyone might have before I try and talk him down as much as possible.

First off, is it really worth the pricetag?

ImageImage
ImageImage

and secondly, am I right in assuming that I can hook this up to my dc/saturn/ps2/whatever 15khz rgb ouputing console through simply hacking an rgb cable into a BNC cable?

I'll assume that this will have no problem going TATE, but should it not, I thought it'd be best to check first.

so that's pretty much my situation.

Thanks in advance for any help,

King.
Last edited by KBZ on Tue May 01, 2007 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
=/
brumma

Post by brumma »

I have two PVM monitors--a 13" and a 19" but neither one the exact same model as you're looking at. Both of mine have no problems with rotating. They also have a manual degauss, so if there is any initial distortion it should be easily rectified. They both have really great picture quality etc. The 19" has just a tiny bit of convergence issues in one corner--barely noticeable. Another nice thing is that they both have an underscan function which comes in handy with certain PCBs.

The monitor will accept RGB signals as well as Component, although I haven't tried the component. I've gotten my Atomiswave and my Espgaluda and Espgaluda II boards to run on them through RGB, but my Naomi has issues. I assume the Naomi uses separate HV sync, while the others are composite sync, so I get a rolling picture. I have no idea regarding the other systems you mentioned. Of course, both monitors also have an S-Video input.

It seems like a fairly decent price. However, I suppose that depends on the condition of the monitor. I do know that they can go pretty cheap on eBay, but the shipping usually costs more. I would say that if you can test it and are happy with the image quality, then you might be able to talk him down about $50 or so. If it is in like-new condition, then the $250 Canadian is a good price to begin with.

I hope that helps.
zakk

Post by zakk »

Yeah, it looks like it only does composite sync (and maybe sync on green? but it's impossible to tell), so anything that does separate sync won't work.

However, if you troll ebay a bit you can get some cheap sync processor that will take separate sync and give you composite sync. (Extron makes some). I have 4 of them, actually. Works well enough.
brumma

Post by brumma »

zakk wrote:Yeah, it looks like it only does composite sync (and maybe sync on green? but it's impossible to tell), so anything that does separate sync won't work.

However, if you troll ebay a bit you can get some cheap sync processor that will take separate sync and give you composite sync. (Extron makes some). I have 4 of them, actually. Works well enough.
Yeah, I've got one of these but couldn't get it to work right. I think I just need to get the proper cables though. I tried using the output with a VGA -> BNC connector, but couldn't get any output. It also has 5 BNC output that is RGBHV, so I think that should work. I mostly use the Naomi with my rotating LCD anyway. Thanks! What model Extron do you use? Mine's an Extron SS200.
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

zakk wrote:Yeah, it looks like it only does composite sync (and maybe sync on green? but it's impossible to tell), so anything that does separate sync won't work.

Does this mean that with this sync processor will enable the PVM to display 31khz vga? Or am I just a crazy crazy noob.

This seems pretty straight forward, but just to make sure I have things right before I make my cable...

from dc to pvm...

Red out -> Analog Red in BNC
Green out -> Analog Green in BNC
Blue Out -> Analog Blue In BNC
Composite Sync Out -> EXT SYNC In BNC

One last thing, what the hell is that digital RGB serial input for?

thanks,

King.

(edited first post to have more pics)
=/
brumma

Post by brumma »

Kingbuzzo wrote:Does this mean that with this sync processor will enable the PVM to display 31khz vga? Or am I just a crazy crazy noob.
Nope--for that you'd need an upscan convertor, such as the one of the XRGB models.
nZero

Post by nZero »

brumma wrote:
Kingbuzzo wrote:Does this mean that with this sync processor will enable the PVM to display 31khz vga? Or am I just a crazy crazy noob.
Nope--for that you'd need an upscan convertor, such as the one of the XRGB models.
What.
brumma

Post by brumma »

nZero wrote:
brumma wrote:
What.
Oops. I misread that post... Let me explain.

The only thing the sync processor does is enable you to modify the sync of an existing signal. For example, it can combine separate HV sync into a composite sync signal, or it can strip the sync off of the green signal if one is present, or remove the pulses from a serrated sync signal. I does not alter refresh rate at all, and it's really not important for your purposes.

Zakk was suggesting I use a sync processor to convert the sync portion of the Naomi's output from HV to composite sync in order to stabilize the rolling picture. Since the Naomi (and Atomiswave) can output a lo-res 15kHz video signal as well as a VGA signal (selectable via a DIP switch) I could use it with my PVM monitor--but only using the 15kHz setting. The PVMs cannot display 31kHz VGA at all. For that you'd need an entirely different monitor, i.e. a computer monitor, which is normally what I use with my Naomi when it is set to 31kHz output.

I hope that clears things up a bit. Sorry for the earlier confusion.

FYI--based on the images you posted, that monitor does not appear to have a manual degauss. You might do a search online to see if it might have the option available in one of the menus somewhere.
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

I haven't been able to find out much about a degauss. Wouldn't it work just as well to use a Tape Eraser while the monitor is off?
=/