stupid gamecube question (vs Wii)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
D

stupid gamecube question (vs Wii)

Post by D »

So when using the component cable for the gamecube, which only has the video signal. Do you need to plug in the analog cable and take the audio from that.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ngc/specific/back/index.html
Am I the only one who finds it weird that there is no audio on component cable? Perhaps there is no audio out on the digital AV out or it is too expensive to convert a digital signal to an analog signal all within the cable.
So anyone who has this can elaborate? You always have to cables in your gc?
Last edited by D on Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ktownhero

Post by ktownhero »

By default, yes you use two cables. You have the digital port for component video, but you still have to use the analog port for sound.

Now, the GC component cable does not include audio on it, but i have heard that the digital port does, in fact, output sound. You need to mod your cable to be able to take advantage of that. I know plans for that are available somewhere online, I'll see if I can find anything for you.
I got mad gigabytes.
ktownhero

Post by ktownhero »

Sorry man, I can't find a tutorial anywhere online. I know I saw one about a year ago, but searching on Google only brings up a whole bunch of Wii and Xbox 360 component cable hacks. GC nowhere to be found :( Not that big of a deal I guess though, as using the two standard cables is probably easier, and just as clean looking, as using a hacked component cable. Not like the GC actually outputs real digital audio anyway, it's still just analog.
I got mad gigabytes.
D

Post by D »

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:nintendodigitalav
It says no PAL gamecube games support progressive. WOOT? :shock:
It also seems like the digital av out does not even have audio. digital or analog anyway.
This pages begs to differ: http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:wo ... =clnk&cd=3
It seems to make a digital output from the GC you need to mod it on the inside. http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:nintendogcda
But who even cares about digital audio?
damnit, all I want is f-zero 480p through component. Just that one game.
Who can tell me what to stay away from?
Obviously I need a gc with digital output. Do PAL gc's have digital output? does F-ZERO GX PAL support 480p through the component cable?

It seems I would need a NTSC copy of a GC game like F-zero and a freeloader and offcourse a gc with digital out.
Strange because with a Wii you can have a PAL gc game in 480p!
So even all PAL GC games are displayed in 480p on a Wii then?
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

It says no PAL gamecube games support progressive.
Mwahahahahahaha!!!! :twisted:

I dunno... I play all my GC stuff with a component cable, but I use a NTSC-J gamecube and most of all my games are imports. F zero comes up progressive. :shock:
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
ktownhero

Post by ktownhero »

I'm not familiar with PAL, but if you can't play a PAL game in 480p on GC then I doubt you can on Wii. The Wii does not emulate GC, it supports it natively. 480p in GC games is software driven, you have to be able to bring up the menu that asks if you want to use progressive at the bootup of the game to get 480p. This happens automatically with NTSC GC games in Wii, but not sure about PAL games.
I got mad gigabytes.
D

Post by D »

ktownhero wrote:I'm not familiar with PAL, but if you can't play a PAL game in 480p on GC then I doubt you can on Wii. The Wii does not emulate GC, it supports it natively. 480p in GC games is software driven, you have to be able to bring up the menu that asks if you want to use progressive at the bootup of the game to get 480p. This happens automatically with NTSC GC games in Wii, but not sure about PAL games.
I think F-ZERO PAL was displayed 480p through the Wii. That's what I think. I thought I saw 480p. Am I mad? ?strange thing is that you can't play the game with wavebirds, go figure just the normal GC controller or a classic Wii controller.
antron

Post by antron »

D wrote:strange thing is that you can't play the game with wavebirds, go figure just the normal GC controller or a classic Wii controller.
Are you having this problem just with F-Zero?
D

Post by D »

antron wrote:
D wrote:strange thing is that you can't play the game with wavebirds, go figure just the normal GC controller or a classic Wii controller.
Are you having this problem just with F-Zero?
It's not mine but at a friends house. Apparantly it is a problem that is specifically with F-Zero. Although I doubt it is the only gc game that has this bug. what happens is that you can press A or start after the memory card screen and then nothing registers.....
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

you do know about having to hold the red button down before it gets turned on, on your gamecube the 1st time you use component right? i think you said other games worked ok via component so that would mean a "yes" to my question...

but if no games are working.....
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
ktownhero

Post by ktownhero »

D wrote:
ktownhero wrote:I'm not familiar with PAL, but if you can't play a PAL game in 480p on GC then I doubt you can on Wii. The Wii does not emulate GC, it supports it natively. 480p in GC games is software driven, you have to be able to bring up the menu that asks if you want to use progressive at the bootup of the game to get 480p. This happens automatically with NTSC GC games in Wii, but not sure about PAL games.
I think F-ZERO PAL was displayed 480p through the Wii. That's what I think. I thought I saw 480p. Am I mad? ?strange thing is that you can't play the game with wavebirds, go figure just the normal GC controller or a classic Wii controller.
I'm confused here. Are you playing Fzero GX (the GC version) or Fzero for SNES from the Virtual Console?

If you are playing the GC version, you can't use the Wii classic controller for that... and wavebirds work fine.

If you are playing the VC SNES version, then both the wavebird and classic controllers work fine.

I play Fzero GX through my Wii all of the time with a Wavebird, and I've played plenty of VC games with it as well.
I got mad gigabytes.
D

Post by D »

ktownhero wrote:I'm confused here. Are you playing Fzero GX (the GC version) or Fzero for SNES from the Virtual Console?
If you are playing the GC version, you can't use the Wii classic controller for that... and wavebirds work fine.
I play Fzero GX through my Wii all of the time with a Wavebird, and I've played plenty of VC games with it as well.
GX with wavebirds on the Wii? no shit. Maybe we did something wrong. Only the normal gc wired pads worked.
When we boot GX we get a message to use either a classic controller or a gamecube controller. So to recapulate we put the wave bird in and where able to select 60 hz on the selection screen with the wavebird and from that on no movements are recorded by the Wii from the wavebird. But I don't really care about that at all.
This thread was all about 480p GX on a GC, how?
Seems the answer is JP or US copy of GX.
Thanks all.
ktownhero

Post by ktownhero »

The thing I'm mainly confused about is that you're saying it lets you use the classic controller. No gamecube games support the use of the classic controller. Are you sure you aren't talking about the original SNES Fzero on the Virtual Console? All snes vc games pop up and give you that message, but GC games don't...
I got mad gigabytes.
D

Post by D »

ktownhero wrote:The thing I'm mainly confused about is that you're saying it lets you use the classic controller. No gamecube games support the use of the classic controller. Are you sure you aren't talking about the original SNES Fzero on the Virtual Console? All snes vc games pop up and give you that message, but GC games don't...
You know what, I'm probably talking out of my ass as usual. Sorry.
We later played Super castlevania and perhaps it was there that the classic controller was mentioned. Oh Super Castlevania 4 was poopish because it ran 50 hz, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! slowmotion mode, very anoying, yet I kept playing. Could it be that it's because it's the best platformer of all time and nothing comes even close. I've got 2 words for you: 8 way whipping :lol:
PC Engine Fan X!

I use a Japanese GC D-Terminal cable modded to SVGA output

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

For D,

Here's my Gamecube setup:

Using a USA Bios Gamecube console with Digital I/O port and a Japanese D-Terminal Gamecube cable that has been further modded to hook up to a SVGA PC CRT-based monitor, the progressive-scan output GC games will boot up on a SVGA monitor very nicely.

And yes, a seperate Nintendo A/V cable is needed to extract the stereo L & R portions (unless you want to play such progressive scan GC game in silence, mind you).

Such a GC Component Video Cable or Japanese GC D-Terminal Cable can be modded to either output at either 15.7 kHz for true low-resolution arcade monitors or at 31 kHz VGA mode. Being displayed at 480p will result in 640 x 480 res running at 60 frames-per-second framerate = the best GC visual setup indeed! ^_~

Monster Game did produce such an optional Gamecube AV200 series 24k gold-plated S-Video/Composite Video + Stereo L & R output jack combination...pretty cool setup and so thick is that particular Monster Game GC cable..... ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~