Can an XBOX be modded to play PC games??...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dave4shmups

Can an XBOX be modded to play PC games??...

Post by dave4shmups »

Very curious about this; I've heard that it can be. If it can, then that would certainly extend the life of the system for me, as I am having more problems with Far Cry and the XBOX's screwed up clock that won't stay set for more then 24 hours.

But, if I could get it modded so that I could pop in a PC game and play it, that would be great!
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
genetik

Post by genetik »

There's a few games that were ported to Xbox, like Quake 1,2,3, Duke Nukem but you can't just pop in a pc game and play it.
"When a madman appears thoroughly sane, indeed, it is high time to put him in a strait-jacket."
Edgar A. Poe
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

genetik wrote:There's a few games that were ported to Xbox, like Quake 1,2,3, Duke Nukem but you can't just pop in a pc game and play it.
:?: AFIK, none of the Quake games were ported to the original XBOX. What I'm asking is, is there a mod that would enable you to play PC games on the XBOX?
Farewell to hollow words
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

You might try putting your PC on your xbox and that's the closest you get to what you want ;)
All errors are intentional but mistakes could have been made.
angrycoder

Post by angrycoder »

no, and even if it could, you aren't going to be playing many PC games with 64 megs of ram
ktownhero

Post by ktownhero »

You could probably get an actual PC with specs equal to the Xbox for free. Have fun playing Command and Conquer and Leisure Suit Larry... lol.
I got mad gigabytes.
genetik

Post by genetik »

dave4shmups wrote:
genetik wrote:There's a few games that were ported to Xbox, like Quake 1,2,3, Duke Nukem but you can't just pop in a pc game and play it.
:?: AFIK, none of the Quake games were ported to the original XBOX. What I'm asking is, is there a mod that would enable you to play PC games on the XBOX?
Homebrew coders took the source for many FPS games, like Quake 1, 2, 3, Duke Nukem, Hexen, Heretic.

They were not officially ported to Xbox. You asked if PC games could be played on a modded Xbox and I responded by saying that those games were playable because that's the closest you can get to what you were looking for.
"When a madman appears thoroughly sane, indeed, it is high time to put him in a strait-jacket."
Edgar A. Poe
caincan

Post by caincan »

assuming that Linux runs on xbox. supposing that some msdos/windows run on Linux. yes you could run many games (but more Oldies goldies i think...) , or progam yourself... :wink:
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

genetik wrote:
dave4shmups wrote:
Homebrew coders took the source for many FPS games, like Quake 1, 2, 3, Duke Nukem, Hexen, Heretic.

They were not officially ported to Xbox. You asked if PC games could be played on a modded Xbox and I responded by saying that those games were playable because that's the closest you can get to what you were looking for.
Ok, gotcha. Too bad, but thanks for the info everyone! :)
Farewell to hollow words
antron

Post by antron »

The x86 emulator DOSBox has been ported to the xbox. You can run dos games on it. You can also install Win89 on it. Probably not what you were looking for.