I'm missing joy in my life...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

Get a DC stick and mod it with sanwa parts, the HRAP base looks too big to me. It's perfect for all types of games. I use it for fighters, shooters everything! It's too good i tells ya :x

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark9/Dcstick_MKII.jpg
Last edited by Ex_Mosquito on Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Preorders should be opening sometime soon at GameStop and EB. The artwork can be swapped out easily, fyi. Just take off the plexiglass and the artwork comes right out, and can be replaced with your own custom art. :D
OptimusPrimeX

Post by OptimusPrimeX »

Brian wrote:The Pro Sticks from Mas Systems are excellent sticks, in my opinion.
Yeah i would have to agree with that... I also like the Teardrop style sticks instead of the ball ones. you have more control with the teardrop rather than this bulky round thing in your hand. Although i do use my two Official Dreamcast sticks every so often ^_^
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Moved this thread to Hardware board, and left a link to the topic in OT for those who might not know where it went.
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Yeah, hardware forum wasn't up when the thread was created. Thanks for moving it TF.

For anyone interested in the Tekken 5 package, GameStop and EB should have it up for preorder shortly but GameCrazy has it right now. Here's the Ti Key: 0050006749, it's the GameCrazy product number for the T5 joystick bundle.
supaT

Post by supaT »

Ex_Mosquito wrote:Get a DC stick and mod it with sanwa parts,
How do you fit the stick in there? Can you post a pic of that? I wanted to do it yesterday... but then I thought it would be a pain in the ass to cut off all of these little platic thingies. I wonder how you mount the stick with 2 screws so that it sits tight in there. :?

Personally I own the HRAP at the moment, but my PS2 -> DC converter doesnt like it :(. So I switched back to the DC stick.

Greets

Dennis
Cugel

RAP work well with adapter on PC?

Post by Cugel »

Anyone know if the Hori RAP works well with an adapter like the Super Dual Box?

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-6m-70-29d.html

What about the X-Arcade Solo? It looks like a good alternative with adapters for every console including Dreamcast.

Any opinions on whether this is good as the Hori RAP?
raiden

Post by raiden »

Personally I own the HRAP at the moment, but my PS2 -> DC converter doesnt like it
why don´t you mod it to MVS standard and build a converter MVS->DC for it? That will work definitely, and even better than any PS2->DC converter (as there is less conversion going on that way).
You´re used to modding things, and you´re using a supergun, so you should have plenty of reasons to get that done, don´t you? :)
Tychom

Post by Tychom »

supaT wrote:
Ex_Mosquito wrote:Get a DC stick and mod it with sanwa parts,
How do you fit the stick in there? Can you post a pic of that? I wanted to do it yesterday... but then I thought it would be a pain in the ass to cut off all of these little platic thingies. I wonder how you mount the stick with 2 screws so that it sits tight in there. :?
ok, shamelessly borrowing oxtsu's sanwa photo, and a pic of a spare DC stick of mine... http://www.tychom.org/images/sanwa-cuts.jpg

the blue lines are where you need to cut/file right down - the surface should end up as smooth as possible (though don't cut right through and leave holes of course). the red lines are the screw holes you'll cut, they should match up with the red lines pointing to holes in the sanwa base picture. the yellow lines, are to the best of my memory the points where you'll cut off the sticky-outy bits on the sanwa itself.You'll need 4 12x3mm screws and appropriate nuts to hold it together.

[edit] put the images on a faster server, changed link.
Last edited by Tychom on Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

What about the X-Arcade Solo? It looks like a good alternative with adapters for every console including Dreamcast.

Cugel

Post by Cugel »

japtor

Post by japtor »

ive heard of people complaining about lag in the xarcade adapters, other than that theyre 'ok' i guess. my main complaint is the cost. if youre fine with the stick/buttons they use its alright, if not, its a pretty easy swap with happ parts i think (in which case you just blew $100 on a wood box/wiring, and then have to spend some more on happ parts).

if youre gonna blow a load for an american style stick, might as well go for one of the places that build sticks w/happ parts (assuming whatever company's reputation is good at least). or you can get a cheaper stick and use the saved money on better parts to swap with. or if you can, build your own, which can be pretty rewarding/fun.
visuatrox

Post by visuatrox »

I'm a bit uncertain of the quality of X-Arcades adapters.. I have heard some stories about console ports getting burned (or more specifically on the PS2 the rumble features dying..). When I had a X-Arcade controller, the adapter sometimes generated a burnt electronics smell (and I guess that is not a good thing, it still worked though)..

(Anyway I did not like the controller, too clumsy, but more specifically I like looser Japanese layout and parts.. Anyone know a custom joystick builder who uses Japanese parts?)
Tychom

Post by Tychom »

visuatrox wrote: (Anyway I did not like the controller, too clumsy, but more specifically I like looser Japanese layout and parts.. Anyone know a custom joystick builder who uses Japanese parts?)
There's 2 or 3 people over in the shoryuken.com hardware forums with good feedback from making custom sanwa based sticks I believe, browsing over there for a while would be a good start.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll buy the Hori RAP.

The Tekken 5 deluxe package looks intriguing because it comes with the Hori RAP, but it doesn't look like the SPECIAL ADDITION or SPECIAL EDITION models.

http://www.hori.jp/products/ps2/control ... index.html

The Tekken 5 RAP looks similar to this model:

http://www.vgonetwork.com/media/data//t ... 5stick.jpg
http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/HP2-159.html

Are there any functional differences between the "regular" RAP and the special models? The Tekken 5 package is a great deal--you can always sell Tekken 5. Not sure I want to spend $100-$120 for the special model RAPs, unless they're much superior to the regular RAP.
supaT

Post by supaT »

raiden wrote: why don´t you mod it to MVS standard and build a converter MVS->DC for it?
I dont want to rip it apart. I know, it is easy, but I rather sell the "big buddy" and build myself a customized DC stick. (I SHOULD have done that in the first place!). Me silly... :oops:
raiden wrote: You´re used to modding things, and you´re using a supergun, so you should have plenty of reasons to get that done, don´t you? :)

I second my ":oops:" :)
Tychom wrote: ok, shamelessly borrowing oxtsu's sanwa photo, and a pic of a spare DC stick of mine... http://www.matbray.com/images/sanwa-cuts.jpg

the blue lines are where you need to cut/file right down - the surface should end up as smooth as possible (though don't cut right through and leave holes of course). the red lines are the screw holes you'll cut, they should match up with the red lines pointing to holes in the sanwa base picture. the yellow lines, are to the best of my memory the points where you'll cut off the sticky-outy bits on the sanwa itself.You'll need 4 12x3mm screws and appropriate nuts to hold it together.
Thanks. Ok, now I know that you peeps ripping the Sanwa apart! Shame on you ;). I think I will mod mine tomorrow. Hell yeah, I WILL mod mine tomorrow.

Greets

Dennis
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

I now own the Hori Real Arcade Pro. The sanwa stick is great. I've ordered real sanwa buttons to replace the hori ones.

And to answer the question I asked before: the Hori RAP works well with a USB adapter: I'm using the Super Dual Box. I played Musha Aleste on Kega and dodonpachi on MAME with no lag problems.

The good news is that my friend in Japan pre-ordered the Hori SPECIAL EDITION with all seimitsu components for me. I should be getting it by early April at the latest. It saves me the hassle of paying the markup charged by Play-Asia or NCSX. In Japan, most of the shmups otaku prefer the seimitsu to the sanwa. I'll have both and will be able to test it out.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Thought this might be of interest here:

http://pld.hp.infoseek.co.jp/ (first link..."SA,SE")

Some nice comparision shots between Hori RAP SA/SE and standard JPN arcade button layout.
incognoscente

Post by incognoscente »

Thanks for that link, oxtsu.