Broken XEXEX board, any help?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dpful

Broken XEXEX board, any help?

Post by dpful »

My XEXEX board just arrived in the mail, sold as tested working, but apparently not tested very well.

There are some missing graphics layers in the background, and some wierd glitches- if you power up enough, there's talking everytime you shoot. A male voice speaking japanese.

I know it's probably hopeless, but does anyone have any input on this?
I cleaned the edge as well as turned up the 5v, the rom test turns up OK.

I would sure love to fix this board rather than send it back.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Mentioned this in another thread recently, try pressing lightly on the any suface mount chips while the game is on to see if the graphic glictches change. If so, take it to an SMT specialiest to get all the surface mounted chips reflowed. Prices vary.
puyo2345

Post by puyo2345 »

this is another question about xexex.
This game can be swapped JP <-> US version ?
I heard it was big difference between both version.
mulletgeezer

Post by mulletgeezer »

I don't know if roms can be swapped to change between versions, but the difference between them is certainly important - the US/Euro version has a crappy energy bar and most of the weapons are absent, ruining the game i would say.

dpful: I don't have anything helpful to add, but I did buy a board from ebay seller yaton/y-plus technologies which played a long speech sample from one of the later cutscenes every time a weapon was fired - a male voice speaking japanese. I wonder if it's the same board, or maybe it's a common fault? Anyway I sent it back for a refund and I recommend you do the same, you'll find another soon as it's not exactly a rare game.
dpful

Post by dpful »

It has definitely got to be the same board.
That's bullshit that you sent it back and they sold it again as tested/working isn't it? :roll: Here's hoping that it was just a mix-up. I hope you got your refund OK-- I sent it back last week and am awaiting my own refund. They were very nice about it- said to just send it back and they would refund the money plus the return shipping.

I love the game, and am looking for another one.
system11

Post by system11 »

Good luck - Xexex is infamously unreliable.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org