s-video on LCD/HD TV

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
the allett

s-video on LCD/HD TV

Post by the allett »

Hi all,

I've tried using my saturn on my samsung 26" HD TV through RGB and it looks crappy :roll: If i was to use S-Video would this look better??

Cheers in advance

mark
In the words of an alcholic, have another drink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

I'm not sure but I wouldn't think it would be better.
It should be better then S-Video.
Don't you have a menu in the TV for aspect ratio select or something ?
the allett

Post by the allett »

yeah i have played around with the settings but no luck matey :(
In the words of an alcholic, have another drink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
maxlords

Post by maxlords »

I have my Saturn hooked up to my LCD HDTV with S-Video and it looks ok. I haven't done a comparison with AV, but I could. I didn't know there were RGB cables for the Saturn so I couldn't say. Aspect ratio won't make much of a difference. The problem is that the Saturn is designed for CRT TVs so your TV is a better resolution than the output of the system. My 360 looks AMAZING on the HDTV, but stuff like the Saturn won't. Even games on my XBox (original) that aren't progressive scan look like crap on it, even with RGB.

I hooked up my Gamecube w/component cables and the games look like SHIT unless they're progressive scan. Resident Evil 4 for example looked like crap on my HDTV with component cables, but ok on it with S-Vid ones. It's all a big pain in the ass. The new compatibility problems are gonna become a hassle for all us gamers soon...don't get rid of your CRT TVs! :) You really have to mix and match and fiddle until you get the best you can get, or use a couple of different TVs for different systems.

I'd say if you can, hook your Saturn up to a CRT and only hook up newer stuff to the LCD if you can.
SAM

Post by SAM »

I think a CRT HDTV might be better. :o But appearately these wrods (CRT and HDTV) don't mix well. :lol:

It the same situation as trying to get your Saturn on a VGA monitor using an upscan convertor. It would look like crap even though you might be using a XRGB-3. :)
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
OneEyedJack

Post by OneEyedJack »

Actually, I've only heard that the CRT HDTVs outshine the projection models in black depth and color. They are only limited in that they only go up to 34" diag.
-Jon in Canada