X-Arcade/Dreamcast VMU question

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
malcolm

X-Arcade/Dreamcast VMU question

Post by malcolm »

I use the X-arcade dual stick on my dreamcast. I know it's not the most popular stick but I like it. Anyway, the problem I have with it is that you can't use the memory card/vmu with it. I'm looking for an idea of how to mod my stick for use with the vmu. Either by running the x-arcade stick through a dreamcast pad and then into the dreamcast, or somehow jacking it right into the stick itself. I know there are some incredibly talented folks on this forum and I would appreciate some input. Thanks.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Why not just have a controller in the Player 3 port? That's what I do, and it works quite well. You could gut the X-arcade and just hack a DC pad, but that would kill the point of the stick.
theevilfunkster

Post by theevilfunkster »

Damocles wrote:Why not just have a controller in the Player 3 port? That's what I do, and it works quite well. You could gut the X-arcade and just hack a DC pad, but that would kill the point of the stick.
A lot of games won't recognise the VMU in port 3 or 4.

What I used to do is swap the controllers over when I needed to save, although this is quite a pain in the ass.
malcolm

Post by malcolm »

theevilfunkster wrote:
Damocles wrote:Why not just have a controller in the Player 3 port? That's what I do, and it works quite well. You could gut the X-arcade and just hack a DC pad, but that would kill the point of the stick.
A lot of games won't recognise the VMU in port 3 or 4.

What I used to do is swap the controllers over when I needed to save, although this is quite a pain in the ass.
Yeah I just swap it in and out, and it is a pain.
I was just hoping somebody has done something creative in regards to this problem. Thanks anyway guys.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

You'll need to ditch X-Arcade's proprietary interface system and the console boxes they use. Wire the controls to a connector of your choice and build your own console (converter/encoder) boxes from a normal DC pad.
malcolm

Post by malcolm »

oxtsu wrote:You'll need to ditch X-Arcade's proprietary interface system and the console boxes they use. Wire the controls to a connector of your choice and build your own console (converter/encoder) boxes from a normal DC pad.
You make it sound so easy, I wouldn't know where to begin. I'm not that handy when it comes to building joysticks.