Has anyone ever used a machine shop for a control panel?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Vexorg

Has anyone ever used a machine shop for a control panel?

Post by Vexorg »

One of the things I've been meaning to do for a while now is look at redoing the control panel on my cabinet (a Western style cabinet, converted from a dedicated game to JAMMA at some point, with the panel severely kludged to its current configuration.) I originally planned to overhaul the one I have to add a third button and put in Sanwa controls, but it's just such a mess at this point that I think I'm better off redoing it completely. Here's some pics of the current panel (click thumbnails for full view)

Based on a tip I saw from someone at work, I was pointed to eMachineShop, a company that does custom machine fabrication. It looks like if I can figure out how to build the piece in their CAD app I can get them to make it. I was curious if anyone here has ever dealt with them (or any other machine shop they'd recommend for something like this?)
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

bite the bullet

Just playing, Vexorg. I have a friend who is a machinist in my area, but he's really busy (racing car + oil machinery focus)...not much help for you.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

I've thought about it, but all of the options for getting one here that I've seen seem to cost more to ship than to buy. Then again, some preliminary messing around with the eMachineShop stuff to make a new panel, and I'm finding the costs for machining (water jet cutting and bending, I'd probably have to get my brother do to the welding once I get them) to be in the neighborhood of $250-300, so maybe that's not such a bad thing to look at after all...

BTW Oxtsu, as long as you're here, do you happen to know where to find a mounting template for a Sanwa JLF-TM-8T? Also, what is the proper hole size for the Sanwa buttons?
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Template? No, but I could tell you the exact measurements (or send you a complete plate, would be best...though I need to check if I have a spare). The mounting plate for JLF-TM is exactly the same as the standard JLF-TP, btw.

Button hole size should be 29-30mm precisely.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

If I could get the measurements, I would appreciate it. I don't need the plates (the two I have came with those already), I'm just trying to figure out the measurements to put them into the design I'm doing.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Vexorg wrote:I've thought about it, but all of the options for getting one here that I've seen seem to cost more to ship than to buy. Then again, some preliminary messing around with the eMachineShop stuff to make a new panel, and I'm finding the costs for machining (water jet cutting and bending, I'd probably have to get my brother do to the welding once I get them) to be in the neighborhood of $250-300, so maybe that's not such a bad thing to look at after all...

BTW Oxtsu, as long as you're here, do you happen to know where to find a mounting template for a Sanwa JLF-TM-8T? Also, what is the proper hole size for the Sanwa buttons?
I bought 2 cabs from Matsu for $1300 shipped to my door and I lived in Indiana at the time.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Vexorg wrote:I don't need the plates (the two I have came with those already), I'm just trying to figure out the measurements to put them into the design I'm doing.
Ah..I had forgotten. But can't you just remove one of your plates and trace it over? Sanwa puts thread locker on their mounting plate screws, so maybe it's giving you trouble. Using a larger head Phillips driver will make it easier (shaft equal to the size of the entire screw...dunno the size in numbers). Using a smaller size driver will likely be fruitless and increase the chance for stripping the heads.

If you just need the measurements for the mounting points that connect plate to panel, mark it 90x45mm (that's end to end, not center to center).