Arcade Systems/Hardware Guides

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
big_aug

Arcade Systems/Hardware Guides

Post by big_aug »

Well, I'm about to purchase a Capcom Impress Cabinet in a couple weeks. The problem is I'm totally new and have pretty much no knowledge when it comes to arcade hardware and such. For example, I was told the cabinet I'm purchasing comes with a CPSII system. I really don't know anything about that, and I'd love to get more familiar with it before I buy it.

I've been into consoles pretty much exclusively, so if anyone has any good websites where I can read up on all the systems and such, that would be great.
big_aug

Post by big_aug »

Ack wrong forum. Can a mod move this to the hardware forum?
ill6

Post by ill6 »

Your cab will play Jamma games on a low res monitor. This means that as well as CPSII you can play other systems including:

SNK MVS, H64,
Taito F3, G Net
Seibu SPI
Kaneko Supernova,
Capcom CPS1/2/3
Sega STV, Naomi
Sammy Atomiswave

And so on. Basically anything expect games that require hi res monitors (like Type X) or non joystick controls (like Initial D!).

In terms of Jamma - you are spoiled for choice; all the popular Irem, all te cave, all the Pskiyo, all the Raizing etc etc.

CPS2 has a suicide battery meaning the boards die but don't worry the battery can be changed see cps2shock for detalis.
Ord

Post by Ord »

I've always thought that the Capcom Impress was a really nice cab.
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
sven666

Post by sven666 »

if the cab is jamma and has 6buttons (which im pretty sure it has) you can play pretty much everything.

older games and specielinterest games that require special controllers are pretty much the only ones to stay away from.
newer systems like naomi or typeX may look kinda crappy on your lowres screen but they will work nontheless :)

welcome to the proper way to play games btw, there is NO substitute! :)
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
big_aug

Post by big_aug »

thanks for the info guys. Really appreciate it.

Can't wait to get this cab. I have to drive 4.5 hours to get it, but I'm getting it for $225 which I think is a steal.

I'm thinking of getting ESPRade as my first PCB =D
big_aug

Post by big_aug »

Oh man... Looking at that battery changing process is scaring me a bit. I've never soldered anything before =O
sven666

Post by sven666 »

big_aug wrote:Oh man... Looking at that battery changing process is scaring me a bit. I've never soldered anything before =O
trust me, it is VERY easy.
lots of people with NO soldering skills whatsoever have done it and lived to tell the tale, in fact ive never heard of anyone who messed up their CPS2 battery replacement??

esprade is a great choice tho galuda is a better choice if youre a persistent score-hunter :)

altho now that you have a cab... ketsui 8)
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

sven666 wrote: trust me, it is VERY easy.
lots of people with NO soldering skills whatsoever have done it and lived to tell the tale, in fact ive never heard of anyone who messed up their CPS2 battery replacement??
Per the below thread, use a helper battery if you can't do it in under 5 minutes.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0
oxtsu wrote:Oh shit. I have some ROMs to send Razoola now. Only had the original battery out for 10 minutes too. I will use a helper battery from now on!
big_aug

Post by big_aug »

I guess I've always wanted a reason to start basic soldering and such. What better reason than shmups on my very own cab? =D