Please comment on my shmup concept

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Doozer

Please comment on my shmup concept

Post by Doozer »

Please look over this basic overview of the game and share your comments. I'm sure there are many things that could be improved. For one thing, I think the game as it is envisioned now is going to be too damn hard. Every time I try to picture the game being played in my mind, I see the player screwing up. :lol:

In any case, please view the document here (90KB PDF) and leave your comments.

EDIT: I forgot to mention in that document that the force on bullets from discharging drops off with distance.
mice

Post by mice »

Nice read. Sounds really original.

Make a small demo of it and try it out.
I have a hard time to image how the game would play with bullet repelling and wot not, with accelleration on them etc.

An idea definitely worth pursuing though.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Hmm...a cross between Ikaruga's polarity, Psyvariar's grazing, and Night Raid's positive-negative gauge, of all things.

Anyways, this definitely sounds interesting, I'd love to try out a demo to see it in action. As you say, everything will have to be placed very carefully to create good scoring opportunities and such (especially if acquiring bombs and whatnot depends on how well you can score), though the fact that you can draw shots to you from anywhere onscreen (as opposed to only being able to, say, fire straight forward to chain in Ikaruga) might give you a bit more flexibility. Definitely see where this concept takes you, and if something seems off you can always tweak it. Nice idea! :)
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I think it's a good concept, but it will only work if levels are carefully planned.

Are you going to program a game like that, or is it just an idea you'd like to show to your buddies?
Doozer

Post by Doozer »

I'd certainly like to actually create it. I'm a current computer science major almost done with school and I'm going to be trying to get an internship at a game company next summer. It would be nice if I had a fairly finished game to hand off with a resume!
the2bears

Post by the2bears »

Doozer wrote:It would be nice if I had a fairly finished game to hand off with a resume!
It would be invaluable. Go for it. :)

I like your idea.

Bill
R_Typist

Post by R_Typist »

I like this concept. It sounds rather surreal and magical, yet if done in good taste could really be fresh and tasty.
Fellow Shmuppers:
"Come... join us... .... be a xenophile."