arcade stick by Inkvisitor

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Inkvisitor

arcade stick by Inkvisitor

Post by Inkvisitor »

This stick was built by me a couple of weeks ago. Joystick is sanwa JLF-TP-8YT, sanwa buttons OBSN 30/24.

Using it to play dodonpachi, I get better or equal score compared to my gamepad. The important thing is that the joystick clicks a lot :)

byrdo's sticks was the main source of inspiration: http://www.byrdo.org/arcade_joysticks.htm
Instructions on how to apply varnish was found in Lanzer's Joystick Building Guide: http://www.syste.ms/joystick/

lexan/polycarbonate is difficult to find in sweden so the whole thing was varnished.
There are no visible plugs or screws joining the box together, a detail I really liked on byrdo's sticks.

Tell me what you think.

fl0w

Post by fl0w »

Nice! But where's the Start button? ;)
np: Image
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Sexy. Want to make mine?
coolix

Post by coolix »

Nice look, very good work.

The shaft is very short tho, won't cut it for "fingers under the ball" players :)
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

that's just an illusion from the reflection of the black piece beneath the shaft. It actually looks to be the correct height to me.
=/
Inkvisitor

Post by Inkvisitor »

Thanks !

The wood is 1.8cm thick and the joystick is mounted from the inside. But I can still get my fingers under the ball.

There is no "real" startbutton because I mostly planned for shmups and metal slug. That's "Fire,Bomb" or "Fire,Jump,Granade" and two smaller buttons for "Select,Start". With only 4 buttons it felt like I wasn't using up all the available space. So "Start" is actually the button in upper right corner.

I enjoyed making this one and would like to make one more. Maybe on my next vaccation :)