IcyCalm is making a game..

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
DMC

Re: IcyCalm is making a game..

Post by DMC »

GaijinPunch wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:34 am
But I was thinking of an international forum that sort of rivalled system11 around 2003-2004 or so. I think it was called something like InfiniteLives or InsertTheCredit or something like that. And it had some of the more well-known and respected members, but much fewer members than system11.
Insert Credit
Ah, thanks that was a nice trip. Those old forum looks!

(Sorry for bumping, no news about the game just yet)
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

DMC wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:35 pm Icy still posts at his forum by the way, which seems open right now.
That 1-minute review thread is a pretty fun read.
For example, some member wrote slightly too long reviews and made a few grammar errors. The punishment was to buy Icy three games apparently.
It's like some innocent cult phenomenon, psychologically quite interesting.
IcyCalm wrote:Helios sent me the games.
Helios wrote wrote: Dear icycalm,

When I said before that offending you makes me feel like crap I wasn't lying. What's a 3rd game you'd like? I'll buy it.

Have Fun,

Helios

You can get me that Shovel Knight piece of crap so I can review it. And I'll start playing the new Torment soon, so people are going to hear about it from me. Thanks for the games.
This is quite the anthropological find. The internet has always been swimming with gamer edgelords, but I don't think I've ever seen a functioning ludo-fascist cult before.
DMC

Post by DMC »

Sengoku Strider wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 4:33 pm This is quite the anthropological find. The internet has always been swimming with gamer edgelords, but I don't think I've ever seen a functioning ludo-fascist cult before.
Then I can recommend you the "introduce yourself thread", in which, by about page 3, Icy got a taste for banning.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

DMC wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 6:10 pmThen I can recommend you the "introduce yourself thread", in which, by about page 3, Icy got a taste for banning.
"You are an uneducated imbecile. Philosophy is ALSO literature you fucking moron! Even journalism is "literature"! Even forum posts are "literature"! Literature = writing, pure and simple. How hard is it to get this inside your tiny little rat's brain! "The supreme discipline", lol! WRITING IS NOT A DISCIPLINE YOU FUCKING MORON -- IT IS A MEDIUM OF COMMUNICATION! PHILOSOPHY IS NOT A DISCIPLINE EITHER! WAKE THE FUCK UP!"

The iciest of calms.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Talking about extreme throwbacks, last month I visited something I had completely forgotten existed: our spin-off Cave forum, cave-stg, admin'd by EOJ.

I... kind of don't remember what its purpose was, exactly. Was everyone here too sick of hearing about Cave all the time? I've assumed EOJ just wanted a place to be chill.
DMC

Post by DMC »

I think EOJ created CAVE-STG because he thought Cave threads on this site were too low-quality (too much misinformation and flaming/spamming). Around 2008 this place was close to its peak in popularity and had pretty mild moderation which can lead to some fun banter, silly trolling, off-topic derailing, but also some flaming. I think EOJ simply had very low tolerance for it. The Cave threads were perhaps more vulnerable than other threads, because, well, Cave is serious business. At the time there weren't that many other games released either that we could talk about so most people visited these Cave threads even if they didn't care much about Cave.