M2 Toaplan collection

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
samspot

Re: M2 Toaplan collection

Post by samspot »

I’ve been getting everything physical but I’m tempted to buy to help encourage English releases. TBH I wasn’t sure I really wanted this one. But I am greatly enjoying Hizhosame. Got to the last checkpoint last night on one credit. Almost there!
MJR

Post by MJR »

Steven wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:54 am I've actually somewhat started to enjoy Batsugun more recently thanks to the Bitwave PC version, ironically one of the only games they didn't completely ruin. Turns out that not having a super laggy version of the game makes it better and more fun to play! That said, I still definitely consider it to be on the weaker side for Toaplan. I've also started to really enjoy Hellfire 1P as well and everyone hates that game for some reason even though it's good, so who knows.
Hates? What? I always thought that Hellfire was one of the most loved Toaplan coinops. It may be slight bias on my side since I've been loving it on megadrive and arcade since day one, and I remember the megadrive version getting top reviews from the press back in the day. Anyway, it is one of the best for me.
ryu

Post by ryu »

I only played one credit of Hellfire and thought the game was kinda trash. :lol:

Will give it more time and a better chance when I get to it in a few months.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Steven

Post by Steven »

See what I mean? I am under the impression that Hellfire is considered one of the worst Toaplan STGs, probably along with Daisenpuu and Zero Wing.

My pick for worst is actually a semi-cheating answer: Kyuukyoku Tiger II.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I often see Hellfire name-dropped among people's favorite megadrive shooters. The arcade version seems much less loved.
I think it's mostly a question of it not really managing to stand out among the truly great Toaplan games
BIL

Post by BIL »

Always loved Hellfire, it and Twin Cobra were my go-tos on Genesis. (of course, Gen "Twin Cobra" is the MD Kyuukyoku Tiger through and through; 1P with checkpoints). I don't know if I'd twigged they were by the same people, but I instinctively filed 'em in the same drawer. The Hard Stuff. :cool:

Loved seeing the AC one finally get a definitive home translation. I've kinda retired the MD one now, though I'll always treasure it. I like its wider attack options, but visibility is as vital as input latency to me, and its vertical panning rankles slightly after lots of AC time.

Also, while I prefer KT's more aggressive MD OST, Hellfire's PCB sound has a stately aspect, lost in the MD's nevertheless admirable effort. The crystalline, strum-friendly chords on "Inside Drive" makes me picture Uemura onstage at woodstock. :mrgreen: Then that melodica lead over galloping bass makes me think of Blue Monday and Your Silent Face at the same time. Image
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I think it's mostly a question of it having competent visuals for a MD game, but remarkably dull for an arcade game. Quite surely if it had got R-Type II-like graphics (to name a contemporary one), it'd be one of the most loved and respected horizontals today.
Arino

Post by Arino »

gbaplayer wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:01 pm [...] M2 [...]
Is there still no new stream or something?