New NES based Nintend-Drawer cart slot solution

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
PC Engine Fan X!

New NES based Nintend-Drawer cart slot solution

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The new NES based Nintend-Drawer is available through pre-order on the Etsy website. It's an over-engineered solution to the dreaded blinking/flashing led stint of a typical front loader styled NES console. Simply remove the old 72-pin interface and swap it with the Nintend-Drawer setup and you'll never have press down on the NES cart slot ever again. The ND also allows the ability to play PAL NES carts on a NTSC NES console as well (by simply pressing the Reset button a few times until it appears on-screen). The suggested pre-order price of $50.00 usd is a steal imho.

The two guys whom developed the ND have said that they are working on a hardware solution to be able to use an Galoob NES Game Genie, otherwise using a Game Genie inserted into a ND will bend the cart pins too much rendering it useless (due the thicker pcb used with an NES Game Genie setup).

A handy CIC lockout chip onboard the ND loads up most NES 1st party games and 3rd party unlicensed NES games such as Tengen, Camerica, etc. which is a plus in my book.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Thu May 23, 2024 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konsolkongen

Re: New NES based Nintend-Drawer cart slot solution.....

Post by Konsolkongen »

What is the benefit of using this method of playing imports over just cutting the leg on the CIC chip inside the console? This seems unnecessarily complicated :?:
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: New NES based Nintend-Drawer cart slot solution

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

If you watch this youtube video about the new Nintend-Drawer setup (not my yt video anyways): https://www.youtube.com/watch?=41pCNMxGW3s

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Thu May 23, 2024 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Playing imports is not the primary purpose of the product. It's one of the spiritual successors to the Blinking Light Win, replacing the frontloader's terrible ZIF socket with a traditional cartridge slot.

Perhaps more interesting is the Slotmaster, an open-source project that is similar, but adds a mechanical eject button to help get your cartridges out:

https://github.com/ShawMerlin/NES-Slotmaster

https://www.laserbear.net/products/nes-slotmaster

It's quite affordable at $25 for the DIY kit, or $35 pre-soldered. However, they're currently working out some compatibility issues with the Everdrive, so you should wait for the next revision.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

I can't find this anywhere on Etsy and you didn't provide a link. I already have a BLW from their original run years ago. It works fine, not perfect, really tight on the cartridge. Since I can't see the Nintend-Drawer, I looked at the Slotmaster. It's basically the same thing but with a clumsy pull tab to remove the cart. Are either of these any better than the BLW?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

It's an eject push button, rather than a pull tab. You push it in and it levers some arms to eject.

If you already have a BLW, there's not much need for this. I have a BLW already. But the BLW has been out of production for more than half a decade, so having good affordable alternatives is necessary.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Super clever engineering on Greg's part for that eject button design!

I think the Nintendrawer will feel nicer but it's what 2x the cost? Nice to have options. My aftermarket connector works just fine currently, so I figure I'll wait and see if they offer an injection molded option for the Nintendrawer in the future.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

ldeveraux wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 4:06 pm I can't find this anywhere on Etsy and you didn't provide a link. I already have a BLW from their original run years ago. It works fine, not perfect, really tight on the cartridge. Since I can't see the Nintend-Drawer, I looked at the Slotmaster. It's basically the same thing but with a clumsy pull tab to remove the cart. Are either of these any better than the BLW?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lpCNMxGW3s

This video is a good break down of the Drawer.

Basically, imagine the BLW except the 72pin connector could move forward and backward a couple inches, so when you wanted to take a cart out you have more to grab onto
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I'll buy one when they come out.

With the help of my new Hakko desoldering gun I was able to salvage the NES chips I need to build my own - only problem has been the BLW has been unavailable for years and years and years... and EVERY aftermarket one I get just sucks, horribly (probably ordered 10 different new ones over the years, including many refurbished ones with all the tricks everybody says works 100% of the time... but never works for me beyond a couple months).
KPackratt2k

Post by KPackratt2k »

I'll have to look into getting either this or a Slotmaster (after they fix the issues with Everdrives not working properly with it) when I have some money to spare, as money's been tight lately for personal reasons. I had a BLW from one of the last batches (if not the last batch) before they discontinued it, but it started to have issues after many years of use (and it didn't help that I was still blowing on cartridges during the first two years of using it until I found out about the eraser method a few years ago), so I resorted to buying a refurbished OEM connector to hold me off until a better alternative came around. When (and if) it stops working, I'll be sure to replace it with one of the two modern alternatives.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Guspaz wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:04 pm Playing imports is not the primary purpose of the product. It's one of the spiritual successors to the Blinking Light Win, replacing the frontloader's terrible ZIF socket with a traditional cartridge slot.
I know. But it’s still a feature of the product, which looks like a great replacement for the cartridge slot. But for playing imports it sounds like a hassle compared to how I’ve been doing it for years, and I am wondering if “push reset to change region” will conflict with my mod or if it could easily be disabled :)
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

BazookaBen wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:04 am Basically, imagine the BLW except the 72pin connector could move forward and backward a couple inches, so when you wanted to take a cart out you have more to grab onto
Yeah I guess. I'll just stick with my blw I think
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

ldeveraux wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:07 pm
BazookaBen wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:04 am Basically, imagine the BLW except the 72pin connector could move forward and backward a couple inches, so when you wanted to take a cart out you have more to grab onto
Yeah me too, this definitely isn't a big enough reason to upgrade or anything

I found out pretty quickly the trick to getting carts in and out of the BLW easily is just to use your to index fingers to pull the cart out from the sides. Instead of grabbing on to the thin part like you would when using a factory connector
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

BazookaBen wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:59 pm
ldeveraux wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:07 pm
Yeah me too, this definitely isn't a big enough reason to upgrade or anything

I found out pretty quickly the trick to getting carts in and out of the BLW easily is just to use your to index fingers to pull the cart out from the sides. Instead of grabbing on to the thin part like you would when using a factory connector
I would really like an eject switch on my BLW, because it's really tough to get out. I didn't realize I'd be sacrificing that much freedom to remove my cart for it to work 100% of the time. But here we are ;)
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

ldeveraux wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:45 pmI would really like an eject switch on my BLW, because it's really tough to get out. I didn't realize I'd be sacrificing that much freedom to remove my cart for it to work 100% of the time. But here we are ;)
How do you remove your cart? Index fingers to grab the right and left sides of the cart works great for me. Sure it’s harder than getting a cart out on a stick system but it’s not too hard or awkward

With the grippy ridges Nintendo has on the side of carts it makes me wonder if this was one of the intended methods of removing a cart
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Plus, tbh, most of us who would be on a forum like this to be discussing things like this to begin with, most likely have an Everdrive anyway... so zero need to switch cartridges constantly – I just want one that reads right 100% of the time...
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

BazookaBen wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 6:00 pm How do you remove your cart? Index fingers to grab the right and left sides of the cart works great for me. Sure it’s harder than getting a cart out on a stick system but it’s not too hard or awkward

With the grippy ridges Nintendo has on the side of carts it makes me wonder if this was one of the intended methods of removing a cart
I shimmy it out. I have used your technique but I really just wish it was easier to get out, hence the eject switch.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Dochartaigh wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:43 pm Plus, tbh, most of us who would be on a forum like this to be discussing things like this to begin with, most likely have an Everdrive anyway... so zero need to switch cartridges constantly – I just want one that reads right 100% of the time...
That's a bold assumption! I don't have an Everdrive, I play original carts on my NES.