I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Nahar

Re: I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

Post by Nahar »

Just 1CC'd Battle Bakraid Normal Course! I know it's on the easier side but it felt really great nonetheless :)
locoBro1196

Post by locoBro1196 »

I just got the 1cc on Fighting Hawk after it consumed my last 1~2 weeks of gaming time. The whole thing took around 15 hours and I completed the ACA Hi-Score mode on Nintendo Switch.

I know this game is known for being amongst the "easier" shmups to complete and that may be the case with PCB and MAME version, but I really don't think it's that easy in Switch.
There's not much information for this title out there but I'm assuming that Switch's Hi-Score mode, like many others, is based off the JP version, whereas most in MAME will outright play the base MAME rom which is the World version.

I spent some time comparing them and I'm pretty sure World version is much easier, slower bullets, less helicopter density specially in later stages, and one doesn't find himself entirely hopeless if stage 6 needs to be completed with no power-ups whatsoever. In fact, I completed the MAME version the first time I played it after grinding on Switch for several days, but it wasn't until just now that I reached the end on Nintendo's console.

The game gives you so many bombs and lives that it makes it look very easy to complete but all can be quickly lost towards final boss of stage 3, end of stage 4, damn helicopters all throughout 5, or lacking power-ups in 6. All manners of shit can go wrong, so it's still important to strategize and again, the ACA version is no pushover.

Overall I like the game even though it's a blatant rip-off of Flying Shark, I can tolerate that. What really sucks is the music, I kind of tune it off my brain after I while but I kind of recall the tune for stages 1-3-5 is the same, I don't remember exactly now and it's the only thing I've played for nearly 2 weeks, that's how awful it was.

I was planning to go for Namco's F/A next but it seems like it won't be released on the Euro e-shop, I may need to use my JP account for this. But it's likely I will take a break anyway until next weekend.
Last edited by locoBro1196 on Fri May 17, 2024 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Wouldn't it be great if MAME stopped using shitty World versions as the parent/primary/whatever instead of the Japanese versions? It won't happen, but it would be nice.

I need to finish Fighting Hawk myself. I got close to clearing it and stopped for some reason (some Raiden, I think). It's a weird game. It's clearly discount Hishouzame, and definitely not as good as the real thing, and yet I still kind of like it. Having a homing missile instead of a bomb is also pretty cool.
locoBro1196

Post by locoBro1196 »

Steven wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:27 pm Wouldn't it be great if MAME stopped using shitty World versions as the parent/primary/whatever instead of the Japanese versions? It won't happen, but it would be nice.

I need to finish Fighting Hawk myself. I got close to clearing it and stopped for some reason (some Raiden, I think). It's a weird game. It's clearly discount Hishouzame, and definitely not as good as the real thing, and yet I still kind of like it. Having a homing missile instead of a bomb is also pretty cool.
yeah game is very decent, better to go in with no expectations. I really enjoyed Hishozame so that definitely helps when pushing through the grind.

There's also no second loop in FH which is a plus for me, I like getting closure.
Arino

Post by Arino »

Steven wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:27 pm Wouldn't it be great if MAME stopped using shitty World versions as the parent/primary/whatever instead of the Japanese versions?
I think one could just email them and ask for it. They will understand and might implement this change if one briefly explained it to them why it would be preferred.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Dariusburst B-E-I; Gaiden: Score wasn't great but it's a start.

Also picked up a new high score on A-D-H.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Steven

Post by Steven »

locoBro1196 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:42 pm
Steven wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:27 pm Wouldn't it be great if MAME stopped using shitty World versions as the parent/primary/whatever instead of the Japanese versions? It won't happen, but it would be nice.

yeah game is very decent, better to go in with no expectations. I really enjoyed Hishozame so that definitely helps when pushing through the grind.

There's also no second loop in FH which is a plus for me, I like getting closure.
It's a little longer than two loops of Hishouzame, right? I really should finish it soon.
Arino wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:09 pm
Steven wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:27 pm Wouldn't it be great if MAME stopped using shitty World versions as the parent/primary/whatever instead of the Japanese versions?
I think one could just email them and ask for it. They will understand and might implement this change if one briefly explained it to them why it would be preferred.
dear mame hew-mons

u should use the good games and not the shit ones cuz the good ones are good and the bad ones r bad.

also fix slap fight's sound cuz it's weird.

love/hate
shmups farm
locoBro1196

Post by locoBro1196 »

Steven wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 1:36 am It's a little longer than two loops of Hishouzame, right? I really should finish it soon.
For FH I've only timed the first two stages and they clocked in at 4:30 minutes. All except 6 (which is around 2m long) take around the same time so I'd say a clean run will take you around 25m.

Perhaps a few minutes short of a Hishouzame 2-ALL from what I recall but yes, not too much of a difference.
Steven

Post by Steven »

locoBro1196 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 7:13 am
Steven wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 1:36 am It's a little longer than two loops of Hishouzame, right? I really should finish it soon.
For FH I've only timed the first two stages and they clocked in at 4:30 minutes. All except 6 (which is around 2m long) take around the same time so I'd say a clean run will take you around 25m.

Perhaps a few minutes short of a Hishouzame 2-ALL from what I recall but yes, not too much of a difference.
That seems about right, give or take a few misses. According to M2's (notably inaccurate) timer, Hishouzame 1-ALL is about 15:59 or so if you no miss, although it will depend on how many bombs you finish each stage with. The loops skip the first stage, and while I haven't timed it, I'd guess that will cut 2~3 minutes from subsequent loops.
Arino

Post by Arino »

Steven wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 1:36 am dear mame hew-mons

u should use the good games and not the shit ones cuz the good ones are good and the bad ones r bad.

also fix slap fight's sound cuz it's weird.

love/hate
shmups farm
That's an oversimplification of what I envisioned, but essentially it's correct, yes.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Nahar wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:55 pm Just 1CC'd Battle Bakraid Normal Course! I know it's on the easier side but it felt really great nonetheless :)
How was rank management on that? I want to get more into Raizing games, but having to miss powerups and suicide at just the right time does not seem appealing.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

One big caveat to play Bakraid in survival mode is to avoid collecting medals because once you get 100k meal the rank will boost like crazy, as well as triggering x64 chain. Also don't collect more than 3 lives because rank will go up so high too.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

I finally got this: DOJ white label 2all. Yes it broke my brain trying to do it.
https://youtu.be/I69g-sFSoC8?si=_-gXopr75Mi95Muc
BIL

Post by BIL »

pegboy wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:38 pm I finally got this: DOJ white label 2all. Yes it broke my brain trying to do it.
God damn, that one's biblical. :o Congrats bud!
ZPScissors wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 4:07 amWar of Aero 2-ALL, 1.729m, community record score

6 clears is the most I've gotten in a tournament, and I'm also top 10 overall and of course, first place in War of Aero right now, so this has been by far my most successful arcade competition.
My belated congratulations! Finally sat down with WoA, very impressed with what feels like a stealth Image Fight Leo. Impressive how well they captured IREM's ethos.
Daytime Waitress

Post by Daytime Waitress »

pegboy wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:38 pm I finally got this: DOJ white label 2all. Yes it broke my brain trying to do it.
No need to apologize for the language, brother - the relief and quiet elation in your voice paired with that ending music was beautiful.
pegboy wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:38 pm I have so, SO much more to say about this game I might end up doing a commentary and explaining things in more detail as it's pretty hard to really do it justice here. If there's any interest please let me know.
Please do so: even if you're not setting out to do the definitive guide, putting down your thoughts on such a process would always be welcome.
Nahar

Post by Nahar »

Creamy Goodness wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 8:06 pm
Nahar wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:55 pm Just 1CC'd Battle Bakraid Normal Course! I know it's on the easier side but it felt really great nonetheless :)
How was rank management on that? I want to get more into Raizing games, but having to miss powerups and suicide at just the right time does not seem appealing.
Well, in Bakraid you're fine just skipping medals. I 1CC'd it again this weeken on a PCB and it was nice and clean just avoiding the medals.
mirkvid

Post by mirkvid »

Awesome video, congrats!!
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Saw this on STG Rev discord, hats off for such incredible achievement mang.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Thunder Force III - No Death Run (Normal Difficulty)

Decided to play something chill-ish this time. I got the classic "bug" of st3 midboss didn't show up at all which means loss of scores and probably 1 more extend. Pretty approachable game with memorization skills needed. Not too hard either I got the 1cc after like 3 playthroughs so I decided to play again on No Death pace.

I'm currently working on nomiss Mania mode and aim for 6,5mil+ starting from default stage order.
Nahar

Post by Nahar »

Just 1CC'd Devil Blade Reboot on Normal. Pretty easy, gonna try Hard diff. now.
samspot

Post by samspot »

I got the 1cc in Hishou Zame yesterday! First classic shmup i've played more than an hour or two.

I had some interesting numbers related to this clear:

- 27 hours played
- 99th attempt
- 999 bombs used
- 266 arcade challenges cleared

I'm thankful to those who voted for it and put it on my radar. It's my third meaningful 1cc (behind Mushihimesama Original & Arrange). Mushihimesama Maniac is next and shouldn't take long with the arrange clear already done.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Nice clear. Hishouzame looks real basic and old school, but is deceptively fun and not soul crushingly difficult. It is one of my favorite clears.
locoBro1196

Post by locoBro1196 »

Great job. Hishouzame is amazing, I too cleared it after seeing all the praise it got in this forum and I have no regrets having sank 20+ hours of my life into it :D
BIL

Post by BIL »

After putting it off for five years, I bought PS4 Terra Force and accidentally no-missed it twenty minutes. Image Made a point of setting it to Normal too (MAME defaults to Easy). Terra Force is incredibly generous! Image

I honestly wonder if I'm missing something here? Didn't even loop AFAIK. Not a bad game at all, just entirely more in line with contemporary FC shooters. Big BOMBAs are undeniably satisfying, the tunes are lovely (reminds me of Sega's inimitably warm summery Quartet), and it's got a comfy Gradiusesque aesthetic. Some alright Huge Battleship content. Might be a decent Babby's First ALL.
Arino

Post by Arino »

samspot wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:28 am I got the 1cc in Hishou Zame yesterday! First classic shmup i've played more than an hour or two.

- 27 hours played
- 99th attempt
- 999 bombs used

I'm thankful to those who voted for it and put it on my radar. It's my third meaningful 1cc (behind Mushihimesama Original & Arrange). Mushihimesama Maniac is next and shouldn't take long with the arrange clear already done.
How do you know the numbers? Are they part of the M2 release? If so, I must have turned that off or something.
BIL wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:08 pm I honestly wonder if I'm missing something here?
LOL no you're just good I guess :lol:
samspot

Post by samspot »

Arino wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 2:35 am
samspot wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:28 am I got the 1cc in Hishou Zame yesterday! First classic shmup i've played more than an hour or two.

- 27 hours played
- 99th attempt
- 999 bombs used

How do you know the numbers? Are they part of the M2 release? If so, I must have turned that off or something.
This is from the Aleste collection but it's the same in all the M2 ports I have tried:
Spoiler
Arino

Post by Arino »

Thanks.
barmskii

Post by barmskii »

Although I've been playing shmups most of my life (I'm 48) I'm not very good at them.

I got my first ever 1CC a few months ago with gate of thunder and last night I got the 1CC on MD M.U.S.H.A.

A small victory, but a victory nonetheless!
Daytime Waitress

Post by Daytime Waitress »

barmskii wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:02 am Although I've been playing shmups most of my life (I'm 48) I'm not very good at them.

I got my first ever 1CC a few months ago with gate of thunder and last night I got the 1CC on MD M.U.S.H.A.

I'm only a few years younger myself and have never done bugger all but dabble in the genre, but recently 1cc'ing Darius Gaiden (ABDHLQV; AF; 6,432,290) was the impetus to sign up here in the hopes of turning that one into many. At least you posted your accomplishment - I felt a bit sheepish letting folks know it was my first and only :oops:

I don't know if these forums allow notifications without quotes, but I do want to thank folks like Rando, Rastan, MathU, Angler (and many others that I'm rudely forgetting) from that thread for their accumulated knowledge.

And I hope that, in general, more experienced users know that their efforts are always helping newer (if not necessarily younger!) members on their journey.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Daytime Waitress wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:08 am
barmskii wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:02 am Although I've been playing shmups most of my life (I'm 48) I'm not very good at them.

I'm only a few years younger myself and have never done bugger all but dabble in the genre, but recently 1cc'ing Darius Gaiden (ABDHLQV; AF; 6,432,290) was the impetus to sign up here in the hopes of turning that one into many. At least you posted your accomplishment - I felt a bit sheepish letting folks know it was my first and only :oops:

I don't know if these forums allow notifications without quotes, but I do want to thank folks like Rando, Rastan, MathU, Angler (and many others that I'm rudely forgetting) from that thread for their accumulated knowledge.

And I hope that, in general, more experienced users know that their efforts are always helping newer (if not necessarily younger!) members on their journey.
Well congrats to both of you, those are all solid 1CCs to start with. The Darius and Thunder series (I toss Gate of Thunder in there with Thunder Force, since it was made by two of the main guys from Thunder Force III), and Compile's catalogue in general are full of games that will put up a fight and make you work for it, but are manageable 1CCs for people who don't have the experience or insanity under their belt to go at Ketsui or something first.