I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
hamfighterx

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by hamfighterx »

Steven wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:13 amIt's hardly bizarre if you think about it; it has garbage first party controllers, horrendously poor ergonomics when used in handheld mode without third party controllers, no analog shoulder buttons for racing games or whatever, the USB ports in the dock are so crappy that they add lag, the eshop is the worst modern digital game store by far, Switch games are usually (but not always) inherently more laggy than the PS4 versions, some ACA games have missing features on Switch that are there on PS4, no Battle Garegga, no Mahou Daisakusen, no Ketsui, no Dangun Feveron, multiplatform games almost always are worst on Switch whether due to worse graphics, worse performance, longer loading times, worse controllers, or a combination of several of these problems, the system itself depends on the presence of a battery that will eventually go bad and have to be replaced or the system can't be used, which might be a problem in 20~30 years, depending on how long the batteries last, and probably some other shit that I forgot.
Eh, the pack-in joycons are not great, but the first party Pro Controller is as good or better than any of the other standard console controllers. And as you mentioned, plenty of good 3rd party controller options including stuff like the Hori split pads for portable play.

I love my Switch Lite(s) too, great form factor and WAY more comfortable than a full sized Switch. I view the Lite as the successor to Nintendo/Sony portables - it's the modern Vita/PSP/GBA/DS. Sometimes that's not necessarily conducive to playing stuff like Tate mode STGs since it makes for too small of a playfield, but for most other games that's actually my preferred way to play.
Steven wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:13 amthe eshop is the worst modern digital game store by far
My friend, have you USED the Playstation Store? I agree with you that the eshop isn't great, but I'd take it over THAT. Steam and even GOG really are in another league compared to the shitty modern console stores though (which I'd probably rank Xbox > Switch > PS4/PS5)

Some additional pros for Switch:
* It's the only modern mainstream console that even offers physical media without requiring an installation on the console. PS4/PS5/Xbox discs are glorified copy protection keys that won't work without calling an authentication server, and you need to install many GBs to disc. I like that my Switch carts will be playable for decades, with at least the original version that shipped on cart. Still an issue that some games are digital only, and many have patches (including day 1 patches, yay modern gaming) - but I like not having to rely on an online store that might not exist a decade from now.

* Regarding battery issues or old hardware - as others mentioned, there's surely going to be a way to get a battery mod or repair in the future. But even ignoring that, the Switch successor is looking highly likely to be backward compatible with carts, so at the very least I can buy a brand new late model Switch 2 in 2030 and not even have to worry much about replacing parts for another decade or so. By the time I really can't easily access a working machine on which to play my Switch carts, I will be dead and will no longer care.

Hell, I can play decades-old original software right now on modern hardware like FGPA clone systems, or via emulation. I'm playing my original GBC/GBA/PCE games on my Analogue Pocket, or I could easily buy something like a beautiful modded GBA with a better screen than the original and USB-C charging right now. I can play my original PCE cards and CDs on an Analogue Duo, etc. I'd already rather use my original PS1/PS2 and Saturn discs on modern emulation than on the original hardware, thanks to stuff like save states, faster loading, graphical filters, translation patches or hacks. And of course, if using original media isn't a requirement for you, plenty of ways to play emulated games from old systems. Just last night I was using my docked Analogue Pocket to play Bare Knuckle III with English translation patch (original JPN version gameplay, without the changes made in the official localized SOR3), on my TV with a Retrobit Saturn pad that I bought new a couple weeks ago. For a 30 year old game. I'm confident I will also have good ways to play Switch games in 2050 too.
Steven wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:12 pmThe Switch also has a handful of games that are better on Switch than any other system. Of the ones that I know about, 100% of them are visual novels, although some of the phone -> Switch rhythm games are probably also better on Switch than on phones because lol phones.
Definitely going to be a YMMV matter, but for a lot of the games I like, Switch versions are either system exclusive, better, or at least not significantly worse (and coming with the option to play on TV, or portable - which I do tend to prefer):
- You're right about visual novels
- For a lot of indie/lower budget games, Switch versions are either console exclusive or don't have significantly worse performance than other consoles. These do tend to also be on PC though, so fair enough if you want to say a Steam Deck or similar covers those just fine.
- I like a lot of the "retro" releases (for example, the Sega Ages series, Tengo Project remakes, etc.), or lower spec RPGs (like Square Enix putting out a ton of stuff - FF pixel remasters, SaGa and Mana games, etc.) where Switch versions aren't significantly hampered by the tech
- I do like a lot of Nintendo first party games

I tend not to care too much about modern AAA releases, but for the handful per year I do care about (say, FFVII Rebirth) I just play those on PS5.

IDK, Switch is basically my favorite console/portable ever, even as someone who's usually more into more niche/non-mainstream stuff (rest of my top 5 are like... Saturn, Neo Geo, PS2, maybe Genesis/MD)
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

hamfighterx wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:03 pm PS4/PS5/Xbox discs are glorified copy protection keys that won't work without calling an authentication server
This is not true, I see it on social media and comments sections all the time. I don't know where it comes from, but it is not true. There are only a handful of games that won't install a playable build off the disc when the console is in offline mode. Xbox Series X now also does not need to download compatibility updates for xbone games, they work natively and can be installed completely offline. I play unpatched a lot, especially when day 1+ patches alter the game (Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate, Unicorn Overlord).

It is, however, heading that way - Ubisoft are leading the charge for upcoming single player games needing an online check, though it's unclear whether this is just crappy DRM or saving money on making a second disk (lol what money, costs pennies when mass produced).
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Good clarification. Though even for games that don't need an online check, I still hate having to take up so much storage space on PS4/PS5/Xbox. It's nice that unpatched Switch carts don't need to install to the system.

Anyway we're mere hours away from the usual game announcement time, so what's the game this week?!?!?!? Taito/Konami/Namco were the last 3, so seems like it may be time again for the "other developer" wildcard round. Could it finally be... Squawkin' time?

(I think that would deserve more than BEAST WOOD. Maybe BIRD WOOD?)
Arino

Post by Arino »

I just wanted to check Hamster's Twitter aka X. It didn't go well:

https://ibb.co/nn8MkRD
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Musk has a lot to answer for.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

You Hibiki and Kate Rand jump into the action on Nichibutsu's Chouji Mekyuu Legion.
https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/202405220036/
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Ah, I was waiting for this one.
Arino

Post by Arino »

Sturmvogel Prime wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:10 am You Hibiki and Kate Rand jump into the action on Nichibutsu's Chouji Mekyuu Legion.
Thank you so much for posting the news! That's sick! I dig Nichibutsu! Their games are always badass! And I've never played this one!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Aha, heard of this one a few times over the years, was always curious!

As much as I wonder if they're deliberately torturing me with no Ninja Emaki, Mighty Guy was badass and this looks good too. Also they took goddamn near seven years to reach TNZS, Rainbow Islands and Rastan, so I'm sure it'll be around. :cool:

Ah jeeze, why'd that shithead Drum have to go Yagawa himself on the imperious system11 godhead? Was one of the few along with Patchy-kun who noted this game. He'd dig ACA. But now, I'd have to dig him up - with a shovel, in Shumps Grave! pls come back as comically obvious "Drum's Ghost" alt bro. (Markham is cool! stay away if you hate nose up/down aiming but otherwise, very solid "Xevious in horizontal")
Last edited by BIL on Wed May 22, 2024 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daytime Waitress

Post by Daytime Waitress »

Sturmvogel Prime wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:10 am You Hibiki and Kate Rand jump into the action on Nichibutsu's Chouji Mekyuu Legion.
Thanks for the update.
I just gave a quick watch of a 1cc, and I felt the lack of honkin' great bosses; but the vibrant palette, character/vehicle design in general, and discordant-yet-still-melodic soundtrack are doing a lot to sell me on this one.

Not sure if I'll pick it up tomorrow, though, because I'm still enjoying F/A, still uncovering its hidden charms. Like how the second stage sees the Mortal Kombat techno track announced amongst popcorn, given a fraction of a moment to breathe, and then allows the player to create their own percussion with the introduction of the three-deep waves that will be a staple of the stage. Or how the third level's RAVE WAR is simply the perfect blood-pumping accompaniment to tearing across a harbour whilst eviscerating gunships, terrorising oil fields while being pursued by dozens of helicopters, and finally invading an airstrip to launch several thousand kilograms of explosives into something called "Devil Airbus".

Happy to have settled on a main in the GR5, too. I suppose a complete scrub like me ought to be banking on a wider spread, but the quintuple gatlings and MAX SPEED are too comfy to pass up. It'll be a while before I get around to the finer points of each plane/loadout, but right now I appreciate how different the game makes each approach feel.

So yeah, I'm pretty taken with it.

And even though I've trawled through this thread looking for recommendations - and have found a wallet-worrying amount - I thought the reflection offered by the ten-year anniversary would be a good place to ask: what have been the standout titles from Hamster's past decade for you? Not just a top three or five, but what were the pleasant surprises - something you took a punt on sight unseen and were won over by?
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

With Legion following F/A, it's an unofficial Hostage Rescue double feature.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Credit-fed F/A over the weekend, saw exactly what maximo meant about stage 7. Image Unfaltering nose-to-turret aggression required to not die spectacularly in avalanches of flak. Stage of HELLHARMONY ♫ did not disappoint! 7.5hz shot equipped for zako, it becomes apparent how sharply they balanced the air and ground firepower. You can snipe flying enemies at comfy distance, but comfort will be the absolute death of you, versus heaving treaded might of BOLSHEVIK STEEL. Image Apotheosis Xeviousesque, a Tank Busting for the ages.

Really starts heating up from Stage 4, with the finale feeling like a running battle home, the enemy lashing out as their stronghold burns. Exhilarating. Image

Also, the aesthetic ramp-up is outstanding, yet germane to the earthy gunmetal style.
Spoiler
Darkness setting in as the pressure ramps up throughout Stage 5's DESERT WAR is a great understated bit of doom-bringing. Metal Hawk does something similar!
Daytime Waitress wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:44 amAnd even though I've trawled through this thread looking for recommendations - and have found a wallet-worrying amount - I thought the reflection offered by the ten-year anniversary would be a good place to ask: what have been the standout titles from Hamster's past decade for you? Not just a top three or five, but what were the pleasant surprises - something you took a punt on sight unseen and were won over by?
I knew Cybattler's name and mech theme, and that was about it. Not quite a total blind pickup, but it surpassed my expectations to the point it may as well have been! Wasn't expecting the Shock Troopers strafe n' slash, or for it to be such a committed playable mecha anime. The kind of STG that's both a rock-solid genre effort, and highly recommendable on style points. I like those!

Picked up Silkworm totally blind, again only knowing its name and concept. Its famous air/ground split aside, I first wondered if I'd found a rare unarticulated Tecmo game. Then the shield/bomb mechanic clicked, and all hell broke loose. :cool: Marvelous STG that wears its gunmetal aesthetic like a jester's crown. More like godmetal mirite Image

Pistol Daimyo Bouken was a rare true unknown at this stage of STG fandom, a faint half-memory of its name aside. Solid and unique charge-shotter, and quite gorgeously produced, too; felt like a real lost work. Its parent work Bravoman would arrive over a year later, adding to the sense someone at Hamster/Namco really loves this game. It's that kinda lovable joint!
REVERE THE EMPEROR / CHARGE SHOT THE BARBARIANS (`w´メ)
Mutant Night likewise, for a line-blurring borderliner. Only knew its name. Jumped in after one screenshot, on the back of UPL having fine form with Atomic Robo Kid, and ACA Top Three form with Omega Fighter. ala Pistol Daimyo, feels strangely well-produced for such an obscurity; Mutron-kun is a little star. The simple, relentless shooting could seem refreshing or limited. I think it goes sublimely well with the casually bizarre "air walk" mechanic, and the monstrously outsized powerups that regularly punctuate.

Finally, I jumped into War Of Aero with expectations at moderate, but It's outstandingly authentic, to the point I'd wonder if any ex-IREM staff were involved. A few points in the loop made me say "WTF! Jesus!" then "AWW SHIEET" once cracked, just as required by Japanese law! :cool: A minor and easily-neutralised visibility boner late in Stage 3 aside, I'm delighted.

EDIT: I have to update my older recposts, the last from December 2023, pre-Mystic Warriors. It's been a busy six months! F/A, Silkworm, and War Of Aero all merit addition, as do Mystic Warriors, Surprise Attack, Rastan, Rainbow Islands, and Volfied.
Last edited by BIL on Wed May 22, 2024 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Daytime Waitress wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:44 am
And even though I've trawled through this thread looking for recommendations - and have found a wallet-worrying amount - I thought the reflection offered by the ten-year anniversary would be a good place to ask: what have been the standout titles from Hamster's past decade for you? Not just a top three or five, but what were the pleasant surprises - something you took a punt on sight unseen and were won over by?
As much as I am on shmups forum, and I DO like shmups, my biggest arcade passion genre are beat em ups. Vendetta and Zero Team are really, really fucking good games. We can also thank Hamster for providing arcade-perfect ports of Metal Slug 1 and In The Hunt. Two of the most beautiful video games ever created.

Saboten Bombers is a gem that likely would have been lost to time forever (outside of unofficial emulation, ofc) if not for Hamster. Neo Turf Masters was in no danger of being forgotten, but now I can play it on the toilet!

Arcade perfect Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands and Liquid Kids are nothing to sniff at. Omega Fighter Special and Cybattler are rather less-known on the shmup end. Let's not forget one of the greatest run and guns of all time: Shock Troopers. Absolutely primo stuff there. BIL's Ninja Spirit could have ended up another forgotten, never-ported (aside from the old pc engine port) arcade game.

On the fighting game front, we have Garou, Real Bout Fatal Fury 2, Samsho II and KoF (pick your favorite, but most will say '98 or 2002.) I have mentioned in the past that these are hard to recommend if you don't have any local people to play with. But IF you do, they are a blast. So a massive caveat there, but the fault is not the games themselves. Fighting games are just a hard genre to recommend to anyone if they don't have a human to play against. These games are not made for single play and especially not the arcade releases.

I'm still waiting for: Violent Storm, Undercover Cops, Night Slashers (now a possibility,) Raiden II, Elevator Action Returns, Rastan 3, Ninja Baseball Batman, Guardians and Knights of Valour 2 (unlikely, but I can hope for a better conversion than the IGS collection.)
Marc

Post by Marc »

Another shout for Saboten Bombers here, absolutely brilliant fun in single or double player.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Jucksalbe

Post by Jucksalbe »

More Arcade Archives games on sale. Hamster really are on a roll at the moment.

NeoGeo (50% off)
  • Metal Slug 5
  • Samurai Shodown 5
  • Cyber-Lip
  • Baseball Stars Professional
  • Ninja Combat
Namco (30% off)
  • Baraduke
  • Tank Force
  • New Rally X
  • Pac-Mania
  • Xevious
BIL

Post by BIL »

Baraduke is badass. Tank Force is really cool too, in both 1P and 2/3/4P. Technically cooperative (you're defending a common base), but chasing down kills is a riot. Super chibi-deathmachiney, too! Cute little tanks and harrowingly monstrous bosses.
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

As with Skyknight (et al), been hoping to see Legion come to ACA: very psyched to see that Legion: Spinner-87’s coming next/tomorrow! :D

Got Nichibutsu? :mrgreen:

UFO Robo Dangar, someday soon please!
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Baraduke is definitely tempting me.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Jeneki wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:27 pm Mouser doesn't look any worse than Kangaroo, which was enjoyable enough to learn a few loops. Also watching the mice run away and try to bait you into traps is kind of cute.

Edit: Thanks to this game I'm now aware that UPL stands for Universal PlayLand. My new thing learned for today.
Ha, just reminded of this while testing out Mouser. And a dozen or so other longterm rain-checks! Index makes me want to revisit.

Also only recently learned Jaleco = Japan Leisure Company. Things u notice checkin out Naughty Boy. Image
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Marc wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:49 am
Steven wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:44 am Friends don't let friends use AMD GPUs or play on Switch.
What a bizarre statement. My Switch is going to wind up being my most-played console in all my years of gaming. If it isn't already.
Same. The Switch is everything I've wanted in a new console for ages. Other modern gaming systems give me a headache.

That anti-switch comment really was baffling.
Arino

Post by Arino »

Btw, you guys probably already know, but I noticed Wonder Boy is on the JP store. But not on the US one, if I'm correct. Just saying because it's a pleasant surprise to me. I thought the game was not there at all because although it was made by Westone, SEGA owns the IP or something (and SEGA isn't part of ACA), hence Westone had to come up with the whole Adventure Island "workaround" to release their game on non SEGA systems.
I want to buy it soon, it would be a nice alternative to the PS2 version, which is great though (made by M2, original low res graphics, no upscaled interlaced stuff).

http://www.hamster.co.jp/arcadearchives/wonderboy.htm

Also how do you buy stuff in an easy way on the riceball store? When I click on the link from the link above, I can't sign in to my riceball account. And when I open the riceball store using my PS4, I can only type in hamburger letters so it's impossible for me to find shit. I always end up typing in key words, then clicking on something similar, going through similar games that are suggested until the stuff comes up that I was looking for!

Srsly just buying Wonder Boy will be another nightmare. Please help.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Arino wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:15 pmAlso how do you buy stuff in an easy way on the riceball store? When I click on the link from the link above, I can't sign in to my riceball account.
Is the blue "Sign In" link in the top-right not working for you?

For the last five years or so, I just click that and it'll either sign me automatically, or go to the login page, and I can do it from there (JP/US/EU account).
Arino

Post by Arino »

BIL wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:47 pm
Arino wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:15 pmAlso how do you buy stuff in an easy way on the riceball store? When I click on the link from the link above, I can't sign in to my riceball account.
Is the blue "Sign In" link in the top-right not working for you?

For the last five years or so, I just click that and it'll either sign me automatically, or go to the login page, and I can do it from there (JP/US/EU account).
It worked :oops:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Glad to hear. :mrgreen: Only thing I could think was a cookie issue, I'm clueless about that stuff.

Yeah, I've always liked seeing ACA WB on there. It's the most obscure ACA title (Japan-only, PS4-only), yet it still being up (and on the front cover of their 10th anniversary catalogue) gives some faint hope that more Westone may not be entirely out of the question, someday.
Arino

Post by Arino »

SUCCESS! Burger-San very happy about new game!
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

BIL wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:12 pm Glad to hear. :mrgreen: Only thing I could think was a cookie issue, I'm clueless about that stuff.

Yeah, I've always liked seeing ACA WB on there. It's the most obscure ACA title (Japan-only, PS4-only), yet it still being up (and on the front cover of their 10th anniversary catalogue) gives some faint hope that more Westone may not be entirely out of the question, someday.

There's Westone's long lost arcade game of "Clockwork Aquario" for the Switch platform (courtesy of ININ Games themselves) -- it's a mere 505mb d/l at best. It was properly released on the USA region Switch eShop back on 12/14/2021.

Had Clockwork Aquario been fully developed, there was speculation that it would've been a dedicated jamma pcb released back in 1991 or thereabouts for the Japanese game centers -- am not sure if Westone had plans to release a CA pcb internationally or have it regulated as a "Japan Only" arcade pcb release instead. CA is an intersting action-platformer with very colorful and detailed sprite artwork -- tis a shame that a dedicated prototype arcade pcb of CA doesn't exist. I'm surprised that Westone actually finished the CA arcade rom in it's entirety -- otherwise it'd still be vaporware to this very day indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Wed May 22, 2024 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Sumez wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:07 pm
Marc wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:49 am
Steven wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:44 am Friends don't let friends use AMD GPUs or play on Switch.
What a bizarre statement. My Switch is going to wind up being my most-played console in all my years of gaming. If it isn't already.
Same. The Switch is everything I've wanted in a new console for ages. Other modern gaming systems give me a headache.

That anti-switch comment really was baffling.
I mean, I get it's shortcomings. Joy-Con's have been ideal for my kids l, not so much for me, but I've picked up Hori Split Pads and a Nitro Deck for portable, and quite frankly, a stupid number of pads for docked.

By the time the dead battery is an an issue, it'll be emulated on mobile fucking phones, it's not far off now. Either that, or there'll be a trade in the equivalent of the Xbox I've just picked up with a huge SATA drive, copying tools etc etc.

AAA games? I want to play those at home on a big screen.

Additional lag? The years-old Psikyo ports suck, sure, the rest.. not an issue. For me.

As for Ninty 1st party games.... I think you're jaded if you genuinely can't find anything to love.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Arino

Post by Arino »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:35 pm
BIL wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:12 pm Glad to hear. :mrgreen: Only thing I could think was a cookie issue, I'm clueless about that stuff.

There's Westone's long lost arcade game of "Clockwork Aquario" for the Switch platform (courtesy of ININ Games themselves) -- it's a mere 505mb d/l at best. It was properly released on the USA region Switch eShop back on 12/14/2021.

Had Clockwork Aquario been fully developed, there was speculation that it would've been a dedicated jamma pcb released back in 1991 or thereabouts for the Japanese game centers -- am not sure if Westone had plans to release a CA pcb internationally or have it regulated as a "Japan Only" arcade pcb release instead. CA is an intersting action-platformer with very colorful and detailed sprite artwork -- tis a shame that a dedicated prototype arcade pcb of CA doesn't exist.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Cool thing! I bought it three times I think ^^" first the Japanese version (on disc) for the PS4 when it first came out years ago, then digital because it was cheap and so I wouldn't have to change discs, and then again digital on the Switch because it was cheap ^^"
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Daytime Waitress wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:44 amAnd even though I've trawled through this thread looking for recommendations - and have found a wallet-worrying amount - I thought the reflection offered by the ten-year anniversary would be a good place to ask: what have been the standout titles from Hamster's past decade for you? Not just a top three or five, but what were the pleasant surprises - something you took a punt on sight unseen and were won over by?
Good question. A handful of my favorite AA pleasant surprises & more under the radar titles:

Gunnail - probably my #1 Arcade Archives revelation, I was totally unfamiliar with this game until the AA release and now I love it. I pretty much agree with BIL's thoughts here. Flawed, but has a lot of charm. I love the look and sound, don't think I like the scoring system (less shields/lives = higher multiplier). I do like the two quirky timed "hi speed stages", gives the game some kooky personality.

P-47 - just a solid horizontal scrolling military shooter. Nothing especially flashy or complex, but the focus on air-to-air as well as air-to-ground feels like a good balance to me. In that sense I get a bit of a similar feel as Namco's Sky Kid (though scrolling the opposite direction lol). Also has significant similarity to Silkworm, good shout out above by BIL.

Sea Fighter Poseidon - Obscure Taito 80s game. Just a fast and addictive little side scrolling... uh, underwater super-spy shooter with a jet-ski thing? I was riveted by this one on a vacation a couple summers ago, still go back to it from time to time. Wasn't familiar with it at all prior to AA.

Alpine Ski - similar to Poseidon, this is just 80s Taito at their addictive arcade best. You can certainly tell it's an early 80s game, but there's a certain "just one more credit" magic for me on this one, fun for me to play for score (and I'm not a person who usually focuses a lot on scoring). Coincidentally, Shooting Game Weekly just did an episode on this a couple weeks ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WzmQuRe1kE&t=114s