Post by VEGETA »

Hello,

It is finally available to purchase! you can get it from here:

https://thundertronics.net/product/drea ... er-supply/
https://stoneagegamer.com/thunderdream- ... upply.html

Learn about it from first link, and you can watch the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6ElWm_vo-o

Short summery of its features:

- Universal input, so it can tolerate any input voltage automatically.
- Professionally designed, no datasheet copy-paste circuits. Using premium quality parts and best engineering design approaches. This wasn’t built for budget but rather perfection.
- Very low noise, less than 30mV p-p at full load inside console (not an outside resistive load).
- Low heat generation, way much better thermals than all other solutions.
- Plug-and-play, so no soldering, modding, cutting, or anything.
- Medically rated, extremely safe power module used which guarantees utmost safety and performance.
- High power, rated for 30 watts which is 8 watts more than original PSU which is more than enough for any mods you can think of.

I hope you like it!

Discord: https://discord.gg/chaN3f52

VEGETA
ldeveraux

Re: ThunderPSU for Dreamcast (ThunderDream)

Post by ldeveraux »

I bought your battery replacement, but I previously understood the benefits of that! How is this better than the OEM Dreamcast PSU?
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

ldeveraux wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:40 pm I bought your battery replacement, but I previously understood the benefits of that! How is this better than the OEM Dreamcast PSU?

here are the key points:

1- original is boiling due to heat, this one ice cold. this will make original degrade its components and caps very fast as well as the console itself.
2- this one lower noise and ripple, reaching as low as 15-30mv p-p while original is 80-90. lower noise = healthier electronics overall and cleaner analog output.
3- modern design. can be purchased in new condition with new technology and better engineering practices. its caps will likely never degrade or need any service.
4- higher power... rated at 30w while dreamcast is 22w. this gives it more room to work comfortably and generate less heat. also, gives room for many mods without any fear of over power usage.
5- universal input, meaning 100, 110, 120, 220, 230, 240...etc you name it..! it works with all of them plug-and-play. no mod no replacing caps.. nothing.
6- higher safety margin. likely won't give practical benefit since original power supply is safe too.

these are the main points which are all objective... but as i mentioned you might not need to get it if yours works fine and you don't care about heat and all above points.

so this proves this one is better than original but i have to be fair and say not all people have to get it or upgrade... it is a PSU after all.

any question please don't hesitate.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

It sounds great. I want both your boards but only want to pay for shipping once as it’s to the uk. Is there are chance of the battery board coming back into stock anytime soon?
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

LDigital wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:37 pm It sounds great. I want both your boards but only want to pay for shipping once as it’s to the uk. Is there are chance of the battery board coming back into stock anytime soon?
battery board is under production, and will deliver 30 units to stone age gamer + 20 units to video game perfection. it won't be on my site for this batch.

however, psu is on SAG and my website for now... i recommend you get one since quantity is limited and components are not as readily available as i like...

for my site shipping to uk is 15$ only, unless you want dhl\fedex which is about 35 but the 15$ option is very good and fast.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I bought a USA region "Launch Edition" Dreamcast console off of eBay in 2023 and hearing how the original DC psu runs "hot to the touch", it seems like your universal DC psu would best benefit such a cool DC console as that particular one, Vegeta.

What's interesting about this USA region "Launch Edition" DC, after being powered on for a few hours, it does retain RTC functionality (even if powered down for the night and repowered the next day) -- I was surprised to learn about this (even though the "Launch Edition" DC consoles sold in the USA back on September 9th, 1999, have a sticker saying it's "Made in Japan"). My first DC console doesn't retain RTC functionality whatsoever.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:40 pm I bought a USA region "Launch Edition" Dreamcast console off of eBay in 2023 and hearing how the original DC psu runs "hot to the touch", it seems like your universal DC psu would best benefit such a cool DC console as that particular one, Vegeta.

What's interesting about this USA region "Launch Edition" DC, after being powered on for a few hours, it does retain RTC functionality (even if powered down for the night and repowered the next day) -- I was surprised to learn about this (even though the "Launch Edition" DC consoles sold in the USA back on September 9th, 1999, have a sticker saying it's "Made in Japan"). My first DC console doesn't retain RTC functionality whatsoever.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
thanks for your interest.

does not the launch edition use the ml2032 battery like others? what does it use then.
RebeL9

Post by RebeL9 »

85 usd is kind of expensive?
How much is shipping to Europe, Scandinavia?
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

RebeL9 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:16 am 85 usd is kind of expensive?
How much is shipping to Europe, Scandinavia?
this thing can't be made cheaply, very expensive core components. i am thinking of making a revised edition which could shave off 10$ but still just a concept.

shipping to europe will be 25$ via DHL but you have to pay vat yourself. no better option.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Would this clean up any signal noise from analog video output?
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Strider77 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:27 pm Would this clean up any signal noise from analog video output?
power supply is the source of, well, power... if your house or setup has noisy power grid then this thing will benefit you since it has LOTs of input filtering. the main core goodness about it is that it delivers clean signal regardless of anything else.

final analog video output will be clean regardless of anything.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

https://www.retrorgb.com/thunderdream-d ... t-psu.html

thanks for RetroRGB for creating this! it is nice that people notice it and do the effort of writing about it.

___

on another side note, do you guys in Europe still suffer from buying it? current shipping method is DHL\Fededx\etc.. which does not take VAT so you will be paying VAT yourselves. I can make an option which VAT is taken care of automatically by the shipping company. Cost could be the same.

meanwhile, my second product will be featured in Video Game Perfection which I think is based in Europe. Do you prefer it over Stone Age Gamer?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

VEGETA wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:59 pm
ldeveraux wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:40 pm I bought your battery replacement, but I previously understood the benefits of that! How is this better than the OEM Dreamcast PSU?

here are the key points:

1- original is boiling due to heat, this one ice cold. this will make original degrade its components and caps very fast as well as the console itself.
2- this one lower noise and ripple, reaching as low as 15-30mv p-p while original is 80-90. lower noise = healthier electronics overall and cleaner analog output.
3- modern design. can be purchased in new condition with new technology and better engineering practices. its caps will likely never degrade or need any service.
4- higher power... rated at 30w while dreamcast is 22w. this gives it more room to work comfortably and generate less heat. also, gives room for many mods without any fear of over power usage.
5- universal input, meaning 100, 110, 120, 220, 230, 240...etc you name it..! it works with all of them plug-and-play. no mod no replacing caps.. nothing.
6- higher safety margin. likely won't give practical benefit since original power supply is safe too.

these are the main points which are all objective... but as i mentioned you might not need to get it if yours works fine and you don't care about heat and all above points.

so this proves this one is better than original but i have to be fair and say not all people have to get it or upgrade... it is a PSU after all.

any question please don't hesitate.
OK I'm in for one, thanks!
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

Yes where possible in Europe I would buy from VGP.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

Vegeta, when do you expect Stone Age Gamer to have these? I don't need one, as I refurbish all my Dreamcast PSUs, but I love this over-engingeered stuff, so I'll likely pick one up. I have credit through Stone Age, so I'd like to buy it through them.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

For Vegeta,

It wasn't until the advent of Sony's PS3 console (circa November of 2006 debut month for the USA) that we finally saw a true gaming console endowed with a dedicated multi-switching psu that would accept 100v, 120v and 220v right out of the box. Would've Sega of Japan have been willing to *go the extra mile" with a dedicated multi-switching psu for it's swan song Dreamcast console? To save on manufacturing costs, they went with separate psus for each country's region: 100v for Japan, 120v for USA and 220v for Europe.

Are there any plans to make a dedicated "drop in" multi-switching psu for NEC's swan song 32-bit powered PC-FX console (which would certainly benefit European based PC-FX gamers indeed as they have use a dedicated step down converter to convert 220v to 100v just to power up a PC-FX console properly without it going "up in smoke" or worse, catching fire)?

Considering that the PC-FX console remained as a "Japan only" released console, it has a stock psu rated for 100v at best. A dedicated PC-FX multi-switching psu with 100v, 120v and 220v would be the ultimate upgrade for it (considering it's December of 1994 debut in Japan making it almost a 30 year old gaming console once December of 2024 rolls around).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Thanks for all your comments.

All units are sold both with me and SAG. Next batch will take long due to component shortage. However i will not just keep waiting but rather will make a rev2 for this which uses more available components, cheaper to produce, and same quality overall. I expect the price drop to 65-70$ instead of 85$. I will work on it soon. the part i am missing is expected to be available in July which means August is where new stock will be available... unless rev2 was ready before that (which is the plan)
It wasn't until the advent of Sony's PS3 console (circa November of 2006 debut month for the USA) that we finally saw a true gaming console endowed with a dedicated multi-switching psu that would accept 100v, 120v and 220v right out of the box.
I guess yes. however i think i saw some korean dreamcast power supply original with multi voltage support. today it is more common to have this universal input feature.
Are there any plans to make a dedicated "drop in" multi-switching psu for NEC's swan song 32-bit powered PC-FX console
I don't have that console and not interested in it, looks like it didn't produce many units to gain fame or numbers. I will look into it tho. such stuff won't be commercially viable to say the least.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Do N64 with those regulators next please! :)
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Syntax wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:06 pm Do N64 with those regulators next please! :)
i would love to but n64 has that weird plastic enclosure which is very hard to replicate. will keep it in mind for sure
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

The enclosure has plenty of room to shove a new board in.

Take a look at the current available PSU for them, they use pins to connect like the OEM psu and a 3d print to make the rear of the N64 streamlined.