I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BJQ1972

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by BJQ1972 »

Sturmvogel Prime wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:03 pm Looks like F/A has become a Japan exclusive since there's nowhere to be found on the US/Mexico PS Store.
Not on the Nintendo eShop in UK either.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I wish to apologise to Last Resort, I slept on stage 2 but coming back blind, it's good stuff! Giant dicks flying about that you can speedkill nicely, then it gets its ground/ceiling game on. Having been so long that I needed reminding of which colour corresponds to Rebound Unit vs Tracer Unit, I got bummed by the latter's turret nest! You want the Tracer's ground-shave to wipe 'em out nice and quick. Although this game's also quite flexible for its subgenre, too, so manually ramming 'em with your Big Unit lawnmower-style as their shots *plink* off works fine as well!

Also mucked about with Sonic Wings 3, now that the biblically plaintive wait for SW1 is over. When a boss jumpscares you, it's time to go the fuck to bed!
endgame spoiler
Got the Sympathy Squid 3; 3; 3;
SW3 definitely has some weirdness going on with its display, beyond the usual ACA-NG non-flicker; slower-scrolling stage BGs do chop up a bit. I'm guessing ACA-NG forces the emulated MVS hardware to a flat 60hz, hence weirdness when confronted by whatever Video System were up to. It's no secret the subseries lacks the per-title TLC of the main ACA line, which has also improved quite a bit in the last ~3yrs. I emailed them about Alpha Mission 2's odd refusal to keep savestates, got no reply (as expected, was in shamefur Engrish ;3). But happily, I figured something out on my own. (foot of post)

Autofire options are a bit of a shitshow too; it's just ON/OFF, rather than customised frequencies. Really need to have a hardware solution there, if you're counting on AF. Not every title has the nice macro options of certain ones like Blazing Star (for its colour select), either. Miracle Adventure could really use one for its annoyingly strict slide input.

tbh, while I'd take more new SNK titles if forced to choose, I'd like to see them spruce up ACA-NG nearly as much.
Arino wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:22 pm
SeafoamGaming wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:11 pm
Sturmvogel Prime wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:03 pm Looks like F/A has become a Japan exclusive since there's nowhere to be found on the US/Mexico PS Store.
10th anniversary special game and it cant even hit the us
LOL that's just great :D so the special surprise was that you can only get it on the JP store :lol:
Nippon Ichiban ONCE AGAIN DESU Image Image

*ring ring*
SURPLISE BURGER-SAN :3
What? Whaddaya want now asshole?
F/A for NTSCJ onry, u habe 2 import 4 shootingu goodnesu-desu 3;
Thanks a lot asswipe!
Just like back in good ol day of BIRU KURINTON! ;3 ;3 ;3
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

BIL wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:12 pm
I've heard similar. A shame... I wonder if it's the jet names, or maybe the OST, which Victor seem oddly possessive of. (got a copyright ding even on my silly stage 3 demo, haha - assuming it wasn't Namco/Hamster annoyed at my bad playing :lol:).
Found more theories on X/Twitter. According to Steve Miranda, aircraft license issues might be an issue but also due to the war on Gaza. The same issue as Jail Break and police brutality all over again. But with Hamster/BNEI and their silence we will never know the answer.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

{frowns} Although given the last two stages, it seems implied that the actual enemy is Russia, not Iraq, Iran, or such.

Wonder what this would do to GRID Seeker.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

BIL wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:07 pmNippon Ichiban ONCE AGAIN DESU Image Image

*ring ring*
SURPLISE BURGER-SAN :3
What? Whaddaya want now asshole?
F/A for NTSCJ onry, u habe 2 import 4 shootingu goodnesu-desu 3;
Thanks a lot asswipe!
Just like back in good ol day of BIRU KURINTON! ;3 ;3 ;3
LMAO. Well, this is the best thing that has come out of the US non-release.

Guess I'll just buy the JP ONRY version. Given that the game isn't on either PSN or Switch eShop in US or UK, it seems pretty safe to me to assume it was not just an unintentional or platform-specific process issue that might get corrected. Although, just throwing out there that there is one possible quirk that MIGHT have some impact: F/A released on an unusual day of the week in Japan, a Wednesday. Typically Arcade Archives games are released on Thursday (the notable exception being Fridays for the Nintendo games). But IDK, maybe, MAYBE the non-standard release timing this week caused some kind of issue with the normally well oiled machine and perhaps there's a small chance that gets fixed in the coming days. I doubt it though.

Probably worth a mention that when NA Switch doesn't get an Arcade Archives game during the expected release week, we've had two instances where it DID show up the following week (Empire City 1931 and Itazura Tenshi, both in 2022) - likely indicating some sort of platform submission issue that was corrected in short order. But in every other case where NA Switch did not get a game in the expected release week, it hasn't shown up at all. F/A would be the 5th such case, alongside:
Marvel Land (JPN: Dec 15, 2022)
Jail Break (JPN: Sep 14, 2023)
Finest Hour (JPN: Sep 28, 2023)
Face Off (JPN: Feb 8, 2024)
OldSkoolShmuper

Post by OldSkoolShmuper »

Wow that's some real fkin bullshit for NA PSN and eShop. This is the second time a game I really wanted didn't make it out, the first was Finest Hour.
BIL

Arcade Archives STG Directory

Post by BIL »

I thought this was a logical juncture for an ACA & ACA:NG shooter tally. Mostly worked off of the invaluable Wikipedia page, and my own collection. Apologies if anything's off; grateful for corrections and contributions! Went by current Hi Score forum eligibility, so Ikaris and Harriers appear.

Arcade Archives STGs:
Spoiler
  • Currently supported platforms are PlayStation 4 and Switch.
  • Asian (AS) region releases are presently PS4-only.
  • Jaleco-developed games are currently unavailable in Asia region.
A
A-JAX, aka TyphoonKonami1987JP / NA / EU / ASBoth regions included. Alternates Xevious-esque heli stages with After Burner-style 3D jetfighting.
ArgusNMK, via Jaleco1986JP / NA / EU, Switch-only / ASNMK's debut, a notedly tough Xevious-style vert.
ASO: Armored Scrum Object, aka Alpha MissionSNK1985JP / NA / EU, Switch-only / ASIncludes JP region only. Xevious-esque with an innovative Power Armor system.
Ark AreaUPL1987JP / NA & EU, Switch-only / ASTopdown arena STG with locking strafe. Sequel to Nova 2001. UPL visual effects known to raise false alarms with PCB owners!
Armed FNichibutsu1988JP / NA / EU / ASVert with formation mechanics recalling Nichibutsu's earlier Crestas.
AssaultNamco1988JP / NA / EU / ASEarly & Later revs included. Tank-based topdown seek/destroy with twin-stick controls. Optional simplified controls.
Atomic Robo-KidUPL1988JP / NA & EU, Switch-only / ASUses "Type 2" revision. Push-scrolling jetpack hori with locking strafe and vivid UPL style.

B
Baraduke, aka Alien SectorNamco1985JP / NA / EU / ASIncludes JP region only. 8-way, jetpack-based hori seek & destroy / search & rescue.
Baraduke 2: Bakutotsu KijuuteiNamco1988JP / NA / EU / ASSwitches to a push-scrolling hori STG format, keeping FRIENDO rescue concept.
Black HeartNMK, via UPL1991JP / NA / EU / ASIncludes JP and English versions. Fast-paced NMK hori with dragon-riding protagonist. ENG rev differs significantly, dragon now blocks bullets.
BosconianNamco1981JP / NA / EU / ASOld and New revs included. Classic topdown 8-way seek/destroy.
Burning ForceNamco1989JP / NA / EU / ASSpace Harrier-style 3D STG. Switches from ground-based bike to full 8-way jetfighter for bosses.

C
Chouji Meiykuu Legion, aka Spinner '87Nichibutsu1987JP / NA / EU / ASInnovative vert featuring a time-rewinding bomb.
Cosmo Gang The VideoNamco1992JP / NA / EU / ASCute followup to the Galaxian series.
CybattlerJaleco1993JP / NA / EUMecha-themed vertical shoot n' slash with 8-way locking strafe. Striking anime style. Fixes the janky HS name entry!

D
Dangerous SeedNamco1989JP / NA / EU / ASVert with unique "Voltron" progression. Pilot a unique ship in each stage, survivors form up in later game.
DaiohAthena1993JP / NA / EU / ASJP 2-button & US 6-button regions included. Well-loved vert with many nods to Toaplan's Tatsujin. Adds Rank gauge, and optional counter-stop fix.
DariusTaito1986JP / NA / EU / ASOld, New & Extra revs included. Famous two-screen 2P hori with branching stage progression and iconic boss roster.
Darius IITaito1989JP / NA & EU, Switch-only / ASUses the 3-screen rev, in its debut home translation. (2-screen rev is available in M2's Darius Cozmic Collection AC)
Darwin 4078Data East1986JP / NA / EU / ASFast-moving Xevious-esque. Features a unique "mutation" powerup system, with myriad branching forms.
Detana!! Twinbee, aka Bells & WhistlesKonami1991JP / NA / EU / ASBoth regions included. Gorgeously-produced sequel to the bell juggling Xevious-esque.
Dogosoken, aka Victory RoadSNK1986JP / NA / EU / ASIncludes JP region only. Sequel to Ikari, bullet-deflecting melee is key. Optional simplified controls.
Donkey Kong 3Nintendo1983JP / NA / EUGallery STG starring iconic gorilla and many angry bees. Switch exclusive.
Dragon SpiritNamco1987JP / NA / EU / ASOld & New revs included. Fantasy-themed Xevious successor with massively beefed-up firepower.
Dragon SaberNamco1990JP / NA / EU / ASFuturistic 2P sequel introduces massive Charge Shots. Adds P1/P2 dragon select.

E
Earth Defense ForceJaleco1991JP / NA / EU2P hori with varied loadouts, transformable guns, and novel weapon-levelling system.
ExerionJaleco1983JP / NA / EUAfter Burner-prefiguring 3D STG with vivid parallax depth-of-field.

F
F/A, aka Fighter & AttackerNamco1992JPIncludes JP region only. Masterpiece Xevious-esque with acclaimed techno BGM. Features asynchronous A/B autofire, with custom low-frequency options.
Fighting HawkTaito1988JP / NA / EU / ASVertical STG closely modeled on Toaplan's Hishouzame, notably featuring just a single loop.
Flak Attack, aka MX5000Konami1987JP / NA / EU / ASBoth regions included, matches to system language. Xevious-esque that switches to free 8-way shooting for bosses.
Formation ZJaleco1984JP / NA / EUMecha-themed hybrid of hori STG and run/gun.
Front LineTaito1983JP / NA / EU / ASGrandpappy of rotary battlefield STGs ala Ikari, complete with stealable tanks.

G
GalaxianNamco1979JP / NA / EU / ASNamco's STG debut, also first 1970s ACA entry.
GalagaNamco1981JP / NA / EU / ASEarly & Final revs included. Legendary gallery sequel with innovative capture/rescue mechanic.
GaplusNamco1984JP / NA / EU / ASOld & New revs included. Third Galaxian entry, capture multiple enemies for massive firepower.
Galaga '88Namco1987JP / NA / EU / ASUniquely multi-tiered stages, navigated via "Dimension Warps."
Gemini WingTecmo1987JP / NA / EU / ASCute yet fierce 2P vert, known for its unique "Gunball" item system.
Gradius, aka NemesisKonami1985JP / NA / EU / ASGradius JP ROM & Bubble System + Nemesis US & EU revs included. Legendary hori pioneer.
Gradius II, aka Vulcan VentureKonami1988JP / NA / EU / ASGradius II Old/New/Newer and Vulcan Venture Old/New revs included. Much-revered sequel introduces Weapon Edit system.
Gradius IIIKonami1989JP / NA / EU / ASJP Old+New & Asia revs included. Infamously tough sequel. ACA Christmas Special, adds training mode with hitbox display, stage/weapon select, and myriad optional tweaks.
GrobdaNamco1984JP / NA / EU / ASEarly & Later revs included. Intricately technical, topdown tank battler from Xevious creator Masanobu Endo.
Guevara, aka Guerrilla WarSNK1987JP / NA / EU / ASIncludes JP region only. Tough third and final Ikari adds tricky hostage rescues. (Canonical Ikari III switches to topdown brawling) Optional simplified controls.
Gun Frontier aka Gun & FrontierTaito1990JP / NA / EU / ASBoth regions included. Gritty vert with Leiji Matsumoto-inspired "space western" theme. Famously influenced Raizing's Battle Garegga. Includes Rank-tailored autofire.
GunnailNMK1993JP / NA / EU / ASJP & English revs included. Gunpod-driven vert where less lives = more score. Adds Alarm SFX toggle.

H
Hacha Mecha FighterNMK1991JP / NA / EU / ASJP & English revs included. Adorable, uncomplicated, yet ruggedly tough NMK hori.
Halley's CometTaito1986JP / NA / EU / ASEarly innovator of massive vertical firepower.
Holy Warrior Amaterasu, aka Soldier Girl AmazonNichibutsu1986JP / NA / EU / ASBoth regions included. Topdown run/gun ala Senjou no Okami. Extensive vehicle-stealing mechanic.

I
Ikari, aka Ikari WarriorsSNK1986JP / NA / EU / ASIncludes JP region only. Topdown rotary run/gun ala Front Line. Optional simplified controls.
Ikki, aka Farmer's RebellionSunsoft1985JP / NA / EU / ASIncludes Japan region only. 8-way topdown run & gun / treasure hunt. Interesting auto-aiming shot and melee combat.
Image FightIREM1988JP / NA / EU / ASClassic tactical vert with fiendish puzzlebox stage design. Preserves the PCB's onboard stage select. Features asynchronous A/B autofire and Pod Shoot macro.
Itazura TenshiNichibutsu1984JP / NA / EU / ASFree-scrolling topdown STG ala Time Pilot.

K
Kaitei Daisensou, aka In The HuntIREM1993JP / NA / EU / ASBoth regions included. Manually-scrolling submarine hori with novel surface-to-air battling. Legendary pixel art by the future Nazca.
KiKi KaiKaiTaito1986JP / NA / EU, Switch-only / ASJP & World regions included. Japanese folklore-themed, multi-scrolling topdown run/gun with melee deflect. Popularly revived by Natsume for Super Famicom.
King & BalloonNamco1980JP / NA / EU / ASGallery STG with unique premise. Player turret repairs after taking damage, enemies stealing ur King is real threat. "Herupu!"
Koutetsu Yousai StrahlUPL1992JP / NA, Switch-only / EU / ASPrevious & New revs included. Hori with extensive custom loadouts and massive, bullet-cancelling explosions.

M
Mad SharkMoss, via Allumer1993JP / NA / EU / ASRaidenesque straight from ex-Seibu Kaihatsu staff at Moss, developers of Raiden III onward. Adds P1/P2 ship select.
MagMaxNichibutsu1985JP / NA / EU / ASBeltscrolling horizontal STG with Voltron mecha-building.
MarkhamSunsoft1983JP / NA / EU / ASLittle-mentioned hori. Has a unique player-guided missile input, integral to sniping boss weakpoints.
Master of WeaponTaito1989JP / NA / EU / ASFast-paced Xevious-esque with memorable apocalyptic theme. Adds a much-needed bullet strobing fix! Autofire tailored for inbuilt rapid shot.
Mazinger ZBanpresto1994JP / NA / EU / ASMecha-themed vert with bullet-cancelling melee. Banpresto's ACA debut, based on classic Go Nagai manga. Adds an optional counter-stop fix. "Majiiin!"
MegablastTaito1988JP / NA / EU / ASHori STG with unusual and generous four-way firepower.
Metal BlackTaito1991JP / NA / EU / ASJP & International revs included. Surreal hori with distinctive aura shot, and G-Darius / Border Down-inspiring beam duels.
Metal HawkNamco1988JP / NA / EU / ASJP & English revs included. Heli-based topdown seek/destroy with twin-stick piloting. Close sibling of Assault. Wide range of control settings.
Moon CrestaNichibutsu1980JP / NA / EU / ASFast-paced gallery STG with innovative ship combination mechanic. Runs on Galaxian hardware, well-noted in its own right.
Moon PatrolIREM1982JP / NA / EU / ASSidescrolling vehicular STG / time trial, starring a hopping armoured buggy equipped with vertical and horizontal fire. Noted for its innovative parallax BGs.

N
NavaroneNamco1980JP / NA / EU / ASAncient monochrome gallery STG with unique three-sided playfield. Interesting precision scoring system. Simulates the kit's colour screen overlays!
Nova 2001UPL1983JP / NA / EU / ASTopdown arena STG with locking strafe. Unusually destructible item drops demand careful shooting. Predecessor of Ark Area.

O
Omega FighterUPL1989JP / NA / EU, Switch-only / ASOriginal & Special revs included, plus "SpecialMode" option. Notedly innovative vert with proximity-based scoring, bullet time, and inbuilt autofire.
OrdyneNamco1988JP / NA / EU / ASJP & English revs included. Beautifully-produced 2P hori cute 'em up.

P
P47: The Phantom Fighter, aka P47 ThunderboltNMK, via Jaleco1988JP / NA / EUIncludes JP region only. NMK's debut hori, an austere military STG recalling Scramble, with smooth Sizzla "Viewpoint" Okamura OST.
PheliosNamco1989JP / NA / EU / ASEpic fantasy vert whose Options and Charge Shot recall both Salamander and R-Type. Includes custom autofire, for rapid charged shots.
PhozonNamco1983JP / NA / EU / ASUnique topdown "build 'em up." Assemble a mighty ship via skilled collisions.
Pistol Daimyo no BoukenNamco1990JP / NA / EU / ASUniquely ballistic hori, featuring a cannonball-lobbing Charge Shot. Vivid manga style, spun off similarly-themed Bravoman. Includes custom autofire, for rapid charged shots.
Plus AlphaJaleco1989JP / NA / EUWell-produced vertical cute 'em up, featuring a three-in-one transforming ship.
PooyanKonami1982JP / NA / EU / ASInventively-designed gallery STG, feat. future Capcom legend Tokuro Fujiwara.
Pop FlamerJaleco1982JP / NA / EUTopdown vertically-scrolling run-gun / collect 'em up.

R
Rabio Lepus, aka Rabbit PunchVideo System1987JP / NA / EU / ASIncludes JP region only. Video System's debut STG, a comedic-yet-tough hori with proximity-based melee.
Radical RadialNichibutsu1982JP / NA / EU / ASVertical STG/racing hybrid starring a heavily-armed tyre.
RaidenSeibu Kaihatsu1990JP / NA / EU / ASJP & International revs included. Iconic Toaplanesque vert, went on to become a major STG name. Adds coin-in RNG control and P1/P2 ship select.
Raiga, aka Strato FighterTecmo1991JP / NA / EU / ASCustomarily fine-made Tecmo hori, with novel ability to pivot your ship at will. Adds P1/P2 ship select.
RezonAllumer1991JP / NA / EU / ASNotedly overt R-Type copycat. Adds its own spin with locking "bayonet" module.

S
Salamander + Life ForceKonami1986/87JP / NA / EU / ASIncludes Salamander, plus Life Force US & JP revs. Classic 2P hori/vert hybrid and Gradius sibling. Saw many changes across its three incarnations.
Sasuke vs. CommanderSNK1980JP / NA / EU / ASFormative gallery STG, known for its innovative boss rounds.
ScrambleKonami1981JP / NA / ASPioneering hori STG with extensive terrain aspect. Regarded by Gradius Generation as the prelude to that series.
Scramble Formation aka TokioTaito1986JP / NA / EU / ASXevious-esque with inventive formation mechanic.
Sea Fighter PoseidonTaito1984JP / NA / EU / ASSubmarine hori with impressively finessed vehicle ramming & hijacking mechanics.
Sector Zone aka SeicrossNichibutsu1984JP / NA / EU / ASBoth regions included. Beltscrolling vehicular STG with hostage rescue scoring, and violent "bumper car" clashes.
SenjyoTecmo1983JP / NA / EU / ASCabal-prefiguring carnival STG, with intense 360' battlefield. Exceptionally good Caravan title!
SilkwormTecmo1988JP / NA / EU / AS2P hori with famously unique pairing of heli and jeep action. Adds vehicle select.
Sky KidNamco1985JP / NA / EU / ASUnusually leftward-scrolling hori, centered on precision bombing runs.
Sky Kid DXNamco1986JP / NA / EU / ASNext-year update adds several new stages and weather conditions.
Sky SkipperNintendo1981JP / NA / EUSwitch exclusive. Unique single-screen STG. A "lost game" for many decades, resurrected via ACA.
Sonic Wings, aka Aero FightersVideo System1992JP / NA / EU / ASBoth regions included. Streamlined, intense vert with wide range of ships. Dawn of Psikyo! Adds P1/P2 ship select.
Space CruiserTaito1981JP / NA / EU / ASInventively setpiece-shifting gallery STG.
Space SeekerTaito1981JP / NA / EU / ASUnique hybrid of hori STG and Gun Shooting turret scenes.
Star ForceTecmo1984JP / NA & EU, Switch-onlyFast-paced vertical shooting. Famously influential score attack and Star Soldier forerunner.
Strike Gunner S.T.G.Athena1991JP / NA / EU / ASAthena's STG debut, a subweapons-laden vert recalling Compile's Aleste. Adds P1/P2 ship select.
Super CobraKonami1981JP / NA / EU / ASSequel to Scramble. Terrain-intense hori, adds treasure-stealing BOOTY mechanic.

T
TANK, aka TNK IIISNK1985JP / NA / EU / ASIncludes JP rev only. Multi-scrolling topdown rotary STG. Spiritual forerunner of Ikari. Optional simplified controls.
Tank BattalionNamco1980JP / NA / EU / ASTopdown tank arena with terrain destruction and "banzai charge" bonus. Precedes Battle City (on M2's Namco Museum Archives Vol.2) and Tank Force.
Tank ForceNamco1991JP / NA / EU / ASIncludes JP 2P & World 2P+4P revs. Third entry massively ups its range of weapons and enemies. Cooperate to save the base, competing for most kills!
Task Force HarrierNMK, via UPL1989JP / NA / EU / ASGritty Cold War-set vert. Adds bullet-blocking gunpods to a Xevious base. Only accurate emulation - MAME lacks its unique slowdown routine.
Tenseiryuu, aka Saint DragonNMK, via Jaleco1989JP / NA / EUIncludes JP region only. Techno/mythic hori in tactical IREM mode, with great Sizzla Okamura BGM. Bullet-blocking tail recalls Dragon Breed.
Terra CrestaNichibutsu1985JP / NA / EU / ASWell-regarded vert, known for its innovative formation mechanic. Includes PSG, YM22023 & YM3526 soundtracks.
Terra ForceNichibutsu1987JP / NA & EU, Switch-only / ASHybrid hori/vert STG ala Salamander, featuring realtime mode-switching and notably massive explosions.
Thunder CeptorNamco1986JP / NA, NSW / EU, NSW / ASGalaxy Force II-prefiguring 3D STG/flight sim. Extensive control settings. Optional new BGM from original composer!
3D Thunder Ceptor IINamco1986JP / NA / EU / ASSequel features even trickier courses to negotiate. Doesn't emulate the board's eponymous 3D effects, sadly.
Thunder CrossKonami1988JP / NA / EU / ASIncludes JP Old + New, NA & EU revs. Hori with distinctive Option controls, referenced by Gradius V's Type 3 ship. Adds P1/P2 ship select.
Thunder Cross IIKonami1991JP / NA / EU / ASSequel brings bigger guns, and a notably storming OST from Metal Yuhki. Adds P1/P2 ship select.
Thunder DragonNMK, via Tecmo1991JP / NA / EU / ASHyperaggressively bomb-driven vertical STG.
Thunder Dragon 2NMK, via Tecmo1993JP / NA / EU / ASMuch-loved vert with Dangun Feveron-prefiguring Bonus Wave system. More kills = more enemies = more kills. Adds P1/P2 ship select.
Time PilotKonami1982JP / NA / EU / ASFree-scrolling 360' topdown STG.
Time Pilot '84Konami1984JP / NA / EU / ASDarker-toned sequel adds lockon homing missiles.
Tin Star, TheTaito1983JP / NA / EU / ASUnique gallery shooter. Rotary-aimed belt-view gunfighting. Optional simplified controls.
Toy PopNamco1986JP / NA / EU / ASMaze-based topdown run/gun. Unique "element shot" system adds tactical pressure.
Trigon, aka Lightning FightersKonami1990JP / NA / EU / ASBoth regions included. Konami's tough Toaplan-esque vert. Adds optional hitbox reduce.
Tube PanicNichibutsu1984JP / NA / EU / AS3D STG with innovative 360' radial playfield.
Turbo ForceVideo System1991JP / NA / EU / ASIncludes Old, New & North American revs. Video System's rookie vert, infamously RNG-driven. Adds P1/P2/P3 car select.
TutankhamKonami1982JP / NA / EU / ASMaze-based topdown run/gun, featuring a unique two-way fire system.
TwinbeeKonami1985JP / NA / EU / ASSmash hit vertical cute 'em up. Augments its Xevious base with tricky bell-juggle scoring. Includes Bubble System & ROM revs.

U
Uchuu Senkan Gomorrah, aka Bio-Ship PaladinUPL1990JP / NA / EU / ASBoth regions included. Hori STG with unique crosshair-based subweapon.
USAAF MustangNMK, via UPL1990JP / NA / EU / ASAggressive sequel to P47, trades terrain for relentless speed. Adds P1/P2 ship select.

V
Vs. GradiusKonami1986JP / NA / EU / ASPort of Famicom Gradius to arcade Vs. System.
Vs. Super Xevious: GAMP no NazoNamco1986JP / NA / EU / ASNot to be confused with the arcade-original Super Xevious. Port of the Famicom's "Mystery of GAMP" to arcade Vs. System.

W
War of AeroAllumer1993JP / NA / EU / ASQuality tribute to IREM's classic Image Fight. Preserves the PCB's onboard stage & weapon select options. Adds P1/P2 ship select.
Warp & WarpNamco1981JP / NA / EU / ASTopdown arena hybrid of conventional run/gun and Bomberman-prefiguring maze action. Adds optional aim-assisting grid.
Wild WesternTaito1982JP / NA / EU, Switch-only / ASTopdown rotary STG with unique horseback theme. Blast train robbers, watch out for their runaway steeds. Interesting ricochet and train-boarding mechanics.

X
X-MultiplyAllumer1989JP / NA / EU / ASHori with iconic tentacle weapon and demonic biohorror theme. Known as an ideal first IREM clear, accessible yet authentically devious. Approximates the PCB's 60hz autofire.
XeviousNamco1982JP / NA / EU / ASLegendary innovator of scrolling verts. Known for its pioneering air-to-ground shot. Adds many performance tweaks, plus optional logo burn-in simulation. :O
XEXEX, aka OriusKonami1991JP / NA / EU / ASKonami's own Force Pod & Charge Shot IREMesque hori. Includes XEXEX JP+EU & Orius NA revisions.
XX MissionUPL1986JP / NA / EU / ASXevious-style vert. Odd transform mechanic presages UPL's wild late 80s run.

Y
Youjyuden, aka Heroic EpisodeIREM1985JP / NA / EU, Switch-only / ASIncludes JP region only. Fantasy hybrid of Senjou no Okami run/gun and Xevious-style STG.

Z
Zing Zing ZipAllumer1992JP / NA / EU / ASVertical STG with juxtaposition of madcap character art and rugged military aesthetic. Novel command input for its i-framed, shot-boosting barrel roll.
Arcade Archives NeoGeo STGs:
Spoiler
  • Currently supported platforms are PlayStation 4, Switch, Xbox One, Windows PC, Android, and iOS.
  • All include JP and English revisions.
  • Twinkle Star Sprites is currently unavailable on non-Japanese PSN; however, the Japan release still includes the English ROM.
  • Strikers 1945 Plus is currently unavailable on Android and iOS.
ACA NeoGeo
ASO II: Last Guardian, aka Alpha Mission IISNK1991Topdown vert sequel. Builds on ASO's unique "Power Armor" concept with intricate upgrade system.
Blazing StarYumekobo, formerly Aicom1998Action-packed hori with large ship roster. Acclaimed for involved scoring and legendary Engrish.
Ghost PilotsSNK1991Straitlaced Toaplan-style vert. Unusual choice of seaplane player craft.
Last ResortSNK1992Force Pod and Charge Shot-driven R-Typesque by former IREM staff.
NAM-1975SNK1990Cabal-style carnival shooter. Known for its intense dodge roll-driven action and raucous cod-Kubrickisms.
Ninja CommandoADK1992Topdown run/gun with FTG-style command moves.
Operation Ragnarok, aka Zed BladeNMK1994Fast-moving, bomb-happy hori with intense Manabu Namiki BGM.
Prehistoric Isle 2Yumekobo, formerly Aicom1999Latter-day sequel to SNK's 1989 hori, featuring rescue-based scoring.
PulstarYumekobo, formerly Aicom1995Quality R-Type tribute, actually not by ex-IREM staff. ;3
Shock TroopersSaurus1997Revered 2P topdown run/gun with strafe lock, proximity melee, and dodge roll. Features "Lonly Wolf" and "Team Battle" modes. Uses the "three lifebars" revision.
Shock Troopers 2nd SquadSaurus1998Sequel swaps the dodge roll for a similarly i-framed, steerable jump, adds vehicle hijacking.
Sonic Wings 2, aka Aero Fighters 2Video System1994Iconic vertical series moves to 4:3.
Sonic Wings 3, aka Aero Fighters 3Video System1995Sprint-paced series finale, featuring a branching stage structure.
Strikers 1945 PlusPsikyo1999Comprehensive Strikers 1945 II remake, formatted for yoko by Psikyo themselves.
Twinkle Star SpritesADK19962P head-to-head vert. As cute as it is deadly-competitive!
149 Titles Total.
cave hermit wrote:
hermie my ol' homie, pls do ur ol mucker Biruford a favour and link in OP pls? Will maintain all purdy :3
Last edited by BIL on Thu May 23, 2024 9:46 pm, edited 145 times in total.
Daytime Waitress

Post by Daytime Waitress »

That is a goddamn majestic resource, BIL.

I've been starting to appreciate shmups more since I've been applying both the general tips and game-specific strategies on this here forum (thank y'all kindly, btw), and that of course lead to browsing this thread. Whatever Hamster are paying their marketing division, they need to siphon that and give it all to this place, because I had zero interest in picking up budget arcade titles before wandering in here, and now I find myself leaping into the advent calendar aesthetic and picking up F/A pretty much on a whim.

Boy howdy it was a dumb time to do it: straight on the back of two weeks of playing nowt but Hishouzame. Going from the height of finely-tuned precision to... not that, has been one heck of an adjustment. My brain sees tanks trundling into view, but the timing's all off, the effective range I can hit them from is all out of whack, and none of that's taking into account the gentleman's agreement Toaplan put in place regarding when the player and enemies can fire on each other.

The air-to-surface delivery system has just plain taken a lot of getting used to for someone not versed in Xevijitsu: is your napalm hose long enough to reach that tank before it opens fire? Did you plan your strafing run right with your volley of missiles, or are you getting pegged by that zako you let slip through? Or - my personal favourite - is your sophisticated onboard lock-on system going to ignore the front-most ground target and instead take the roof off a water tower a half a click up the road because it *knows* that's where the ambassador's being held hostage? I know the latter is a consequence of a new player ignoring routing and flailing about like a mad haddock, but it never fails to get a chuckle out of me. "Damnit, IceMan, I don't care how much fire you're taking - you prioritise that warehouse that's indistinguishable from the other seventeen in the district! I swear, son, the only thing that gets me harder than the thought of retirement is the knowledge that the day will come when we don't have to stuff meatsacks like you into our sophisticated machinery - that computer actually knows what the fug it's doing!"

So learning that balance of when you can get onto ground targets and whether your need to sweep up the popcorn before or after is a pretty elegant dance, one made more compelling by the fleet of spread, groundshot and speed combinations. And I reckon that the game does a fair job of gradually introducing concepts and waves it will use throughout, such as when it waits til stage 3 to roll out the bastard heli zako.
BIL wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:24 amF/A has a few annoying dings, on an otherwise solid latterday Xevious-esque.... where figuring out how to shoot all or even most things down is less self-explanatory than in later screen-shredders - but it's something you have to adjust to, zoning oncoming threats.
I'm only working on first impressions here, but I feel that's a pretty solid assessment. I figure F/A does just enough competently, with just enough occasional flashes of if not quite brilliance, more like respectability, to make it quite endearing.

The sprites and landscapes are uniformly austere, but I feel that's precisely what makes the small flourishes that much more enjoyable. Stage 3's colourful fountain plaza amidst the warzone is quaint af. The day to night progression is a welcome surprise after you've got into a rhythm with the combat. And whilst I'd have to consult the official Timeline of Boss Bits Falling Off to know whether or not it was contemporaneously novel, the stage 3 cargo plane collecting bulletholes is rad - you can see every single millimetre of hurt you're laying into the fuselage before it gets shorn off and explodes tae fuck. And it's already been pointed it out, but the POW sprites are beyond adorable.

The sfx follow a pretty similar trend, with a majority of serviceable pews and booms, interspersed with the occasional gem that is, again, kind of out of place, but fits the "kind of out of place but still identifiably part of this whole" that the whole game hinges on. The extend chirrup sounds to mine entirely ripped off of a certain pinball machine, and it's tip-of-the-tongue aggravating to me that I can't place it. Plus you've got Voiceover Lady belting out "GET DOWN EVERYBODY" whenever you drop a credit, and kindly reminding you to unpucker your puckerables at the end of every stage with, "You can relax, it's all over now". And yet the most orthodox element is probably F/A's crown jewel: air-to-surface destruction porn. Whether you're dousing everything with napalm or launching volleys of missiles, every ground kill is confirmed with a resounding big calibre blast; and that really brought to mind the first time I wandered into a local arcade where they were showcasing Lethal Enforcers back in the day.

tl;dr: every little flourish not only makes me find F/A more charming, it's also given me a greater appreciation for how tightly designed Hishouzame is in the TANK AND GUNBOAT GO BOOM subgenre, and I have to thank it for that.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Fantastic listings of them all BIL. Thanks for the hard work you have put into this!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Always a pleasure. ^__^ ACA and ShotTriggers are such an unfailing source of good cheer for we diehards. 10th anniversary of the latter coming up not too long from now, too! Rastan78's fabled Ibara Black Black label, perhaps. :cool:
Arino

Post by Arino »

Thanks BIL, this table should get pinned by getting its own thread! Very handy source of information that should be preserved! Just like so many of your posts. I have been thinking about a possible way of how to archive some information and thoughts you shared but I'm not sure how to do it. As something like a better alternative to Hardcore Gaming 101 :mrgreen: A source and collection of information I can just always access and go back to. Otherwise everything gets lost in each respective thread over time where it was first posted by you.
BIL wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:38 pm 10th anniversary of the latter coming up not too long from now, too!
OMG really when is that? I'm sure there will be another special surprise, possibly another game only available on the Japanese PSN store/eshop :lol:
BIL

Post by BIL »

HG101 are superb for determining what's out there in the wilds, just gotta get 'em back to base camp before they get whiny about lions and tigers and the occasional squirrel PWNing them. Image :wink:

Garegga Rev. 2016's already a whole eight years ago, can't believe how fast it went. I think a lot of us wondered how far they'd make it, I know I sure did.

tbh all I've ever wanted Ham-chans and M2 to do is survive ;w;7 But I'll get a good laugh if M2, too, celebrate with a shock return to Gaming In The Clinton Years ala F/A. :lol:

EDIT: Y'know, typing that... I wonder if those shitbirds the Football Authority might be what's jamming things up? Maybe a long shot. I'm kinda dubious on it being either the jet names (USAAF Mustang and Task Force Harrier made it worldwide without issue), or the Desert Storm aesthetic.
Arino

Post by Arino »

In terms of Fuck All, the reason is probably that Ikea own the rights to the color combo used in the flag next to the JA-37 and Hamster know that Ikea would win any lawsuit over it outside of Japan.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Could also be the licensing fees to the various aircraft depicted within F/A itself that Hamster would have to pay up to the respective military aircraft manufacturers (which isn't cheap these days) -- hence why it's not listed on both the USA region Switch eShop nor the USA region PSN shop either. Or perhaps, just wait another week and see if it pops up on either digital shop fronts (while Hamster gets all the loose-ends tied up and released properly in both the West and Europe).

At least it's playable on Final Burn Neo without any problems running at the correct 320 x 240 low-res format with the 60fps arcade-spec framerate indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:27 pmCould also be the licensing fees to the various aircraft depicted within F/A itself that Hamster would have to pay up to the respective military aircraft manufacturers (which isn't cheap these days) -- hence why it's not listed on both the USA region Switch eShop nor the USA region PSN shop either.
That's certainly not outside of the realm of realistic possibility. That's precisely the reason Afterburner Climax was pulled from Xbox/PSN, as confirmed by the game's producer and Sega of Japan. https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarde ... cc969733b4
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

What’s the best way to buy JP eShop from the US these days? The Reddit machine has some conflicting details
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

You can create an account just fine, but they won't take foreign credit cards so you'll need to buy eShop gift cards. I usually use Japan Code Supply or Offgamers for that: https://japancodesupply.com https://www.offgamers.com/ca/en
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

So now there’s a question of how the Aero Fighters games got through. Dependent on the jets in question?

Note, by the way, that there was only a Japanese preview video for F/A, unlike with Finest Hour. I think Hamster knew ahead of schedule that they wouldn’t be able to get it through this time.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Skyknight wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:43 pm So now there’s a question of how the Aero Fighters games got through. Dependent on the jets in question?

Note, by the way, that there was only a Japanese preview video for F/A, unlike with Finest Hour. I think Hamster knew ahead of schedule that they wouldn’t be able to get it through this time.
I'm under the impression the game was rushed out to Japan with an unfinished localization for other languages. Game description is untranslated, story translation in the manual is oddly brief, and the international Fighter & Attacker version is missing, despite using the western name when set to English.
jehu

Post by jehu »

F/A is such a cool game.

I’ve never spent any time with the game, so all its graces are all fresh in mind. For instance:

1. The ship selection is varied and meaningful. Different planes force very different playstyles, and most of them seem viable. I’m really enjoying the GR-5. Laser-like, thin shot with the gattling ground gun. Although the lack of any spread hurts it, the devs smartly compensated for this by making its hitbox comparatively small - hitboxes vary in size, so you know! - and its speed the fastest in the game. The mobility makes it a ship twitchy enough to keep up with the OST.

1.5. I also love that the game doesn’t fuck around with powerups.

2. The music sounds great. I’d already been a fan of the OST on its own, but it works really well with the game. More importantly, whatever Hamster did to achieve the ‘Stereo Effects’ worked out well. It all bangs with the soundbar I have.

3. The visuals are much better than I anticipated. The game has the conventional visual language of your standard-issue military shooter, but it looks sharper in action than it does in screen shots. Whenever I move from 80s shooters to early 90s shooters, I’m always so impressed with the details in the scenery and the subtle visual effects that go so far. The structural damage that the stage three boss plane takes is such a nice touch, for instance!
Spoiler
There’s a Pac-Man reference hidden in the stage three scenery. Can you spot it?
4. Hamster’s autofire settings prove as thoughtful and utilitarian as I’ve come to expect. The 7.5 setting is perfect, for instance, against the second boss. At 15hz, too many of the suicide planes get through the gaps in your shots. The 7.5 is my standard, with 15 or 20hz as my point blank button.

5. The layout of the ground enemies belie the thoughtful scenario design.

An extended illustration: If ground tanks are aligned horizontally, they’re easy to take out with a sweep of the gattling gun. However, if ground tanks are aligned vertically, a gattling sweep is only going to take out the first row leaving you vulnerable to the tanks in the back if you pause to take everything out. The megaton ground bomb deals with vertically-aligned tanks better, but then can’t take out horizontal rows as easily. The homing missile ground attack lets you keep your distance, but it gets overwhelming if a lot of ground enemies are on screen. All the stages with ground enemies are designed with these constraints in mind, so different ships will genuinely require novel approaches.

The air-only levels are great, too, but don’t overstay their welcome.

What I don’t like:

1. The feedback when you take a hit isn’t strong enough. I’ve taken hits and not noticed - and I don’t think that should happen.

2. The armor system isn’t as compelling as a lives system. Also, the invincibility frames after taking a hit are like null. Easy to take double hits. Not player-friendly here.

3. The ‘RED ALERT’ warning before bosses is weak as fuck. Give me some gigantic flashing letters and a properly aggressive hardbass warning chime.

Glad to offload those impressions. Worth the $8 easily. Shame about the JPN-only release.
SeafoamGaming

Post by SeafoamGaming »

Oh yeah there’s a stream on 5/18 isnt there

Hope to god and to all things holy that this is where we finally get console archives announced with some banger reveals.

Or solvalou/ridge racer, either way i’d be happy
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I refuse to buy game if Hamster won't make it available in my region. Naughty Ham-chans! No money for you!
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

BIL wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:47 am
Arino wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:23 amOMG BIL are you already playing the loop? :oops:
lol no, only put an hour or so on it so far Image

I don't think there is a loop actually; always a positive, imo :cool:

That's correct, its 1 loop only (which is probably a good thing, because the last two stages are pretty difficult, especially with certain plane types).

Skyknight wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:45 pm {frowns} Although given the last two stages, it seems implied that the actual enemy is Russia, not Iraq, Iran, or such.

Seems like it, since the final boss is based on Tu-160 Russian aircraft: https://twitter.com/kagurayam/status/652082125626191872
Daytime Waitress

jehu wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:27 pm1. The feedback when you take a hit isn’t strong enough. I’ve taken hits and not noticed - and I don’t think that should happen.
It really does sound like a standard punch from a beat 'em up, rather than having armour torn screaming from your 16,000kg warbird's hide by an explosion the size of a family sedan.
jehu wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:27 pm2. The armor system isn’t as compelling as a lives system. Also, the invincibility frames after taking a hit are like null. Easy to take double hits. Not player-friendly here.
This has happened way fewer times than I've expected, but I do live in constant fear of it.
jehu wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:27 pm3. The ‘RED ALERT’ warning before bosses is weak as fuck. Give me some gigantic flashing letters and a properly aggressive hardbass warning chime.
A shame, because the game otherwise does a good job of ratcheting up the tension for the first boss with that thunderous drone before it even lumbers on screen: you've just torn through an entire fleet of planes and several tank divisions, but even over that cacophony you can hear this juggernaut before you sight it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Daytime Waitress wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:25 pm That is a goddamn majestic resource, BIL.
Gaah, totally missed your post! :shock: Exceptionally high-quality one, at that! Forum approval lag is annoying that way. :mrgreen: Welcome aboard!
Arino wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:24 pm In terms of Fuck All, the reason is probably that Ikea own the rights to the color combo used in the flag next to the JA-37 and Hamster know that Ikea would win any lawsuit over it outside of Japan.
I knew a bloke with similar problems! Has an agreement with Benny & Bjorny, he can quote ABBA on his show a couple dozen times a year. Maybe Hamada-san might wangle something like that? :o

EDIT: Yo, what about giving them a guest spot on the OST? They could do a thumping rave arrangement of "Eagle" for the title menu. Image
jehu wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:27 pm3. The visuals are much better than I anticipated. The game has the conventional visual language of your standard-issue military shooter, but it looks sharper in action than it does in screen shots. Whenever I move from 80s shooters to early 90s shooters, I’m always so impressed with the details in the scenery and the subtle visual effects that go so far. The structural damage that the stage three boss plane takes is such a nice touch, for instance!
Spoiler
There’s a Pac-Man reference hidden in the stage three scenery. Can you spot it?
Haha, I did wonder, re Stage 3. :mrgreen:
Spoiler
The yellow table in the ruined town plaza? Just before the first AA guns appear.

I was also thinking "Damn, this place sure reminds me of Mad Ball's bleak domain, from Garegga st2." Very similar layout, palette and vibe.
4. Hamster’s autofire settings prove as thoughtful and utilitarian as I’ve come to expect. The 7.5 setting is perfect, for instance, against the second boss. At 15hz, too many of the suicide planes get through the gaps in your shots. The 7.5 is my standard, with 15 or 20hz as my point blank button.
Yes, excellent point! I've had good results with the lower custom frequencies, too. Well-spotted on the variable hitboxes, too.
maximo310 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 2:32 amThat's correct, its 1 loop only (which is probably a good thing, because the last two stages are pretty difficult, especially with certain plane types).
Thanks for confirming! Always glad to hear. I don't mind 2ALLs too much, but a single definitive loop is far preferred. I'd much rather a game generate replay via alternate ships and/or its scoring. And frankly, a tight runtime is great for replay value too!
Arino

Post by Arino »

Steven wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:18 am [...]
Quick Steven what are they saying?? https://www.youtube.com/live/Kb0rE9Yt8b ... ZVSgCYq8dS

This is the big special celebration stream.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Nice, Hideki Kamiya and Masahiro Sakurai speaking to Terra Cresta BGM. x93 would be proud. ;w;7

EDIT: Fujita's SMB1 live play is getting me kinda hyped, I have to say. :lol: "ABARE! KOWAIII! SUGOI!"
Daytime Waitress

BIL wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 11:09 am Nice, Hideki Kamiya and Masahiro Sakurai speaking to Terra Cresta BGM. x93 would be proud. ;w;7

EDIT: Fujita's SMB1 live play is getting me kinda hyped, I have to say. :lol: "ABARE! KOWAIII! SUGOI!"
Dat 8-3!

EDIT: My post threw him off lol

But fr, that run demonstrated that if Nintendo want their new speedrun World Championship thing to blow up, they need to include soundclips of excitable Japanese folks to hype your run.
BIL

Post by BIL »

A spirited performance, a magnificent end ;w;7
Daytime Waitress wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 11:13 amBut fr, that run demonstrated that if Nintendo want their new speedrun World Championship thing to blow up, they need to include soundclips of excitable Japanese folks to hype your run.
Nobody does it better :mrgreen: "Whoaaa... OWAAAA!" :lol:
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Hamster is adding online multiplayer to some Neo Geo titles.

https://x.com/famitsu/status/1791768040037867595