Krikzz Turbo Everdrive Pro -- Installation Guide & Tips.....

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Limbrooke

Re: Krikzz Turbo Everdrive Pro -- Installation Guide & Tips.....

Post by Limbrooke »

fernan1234 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:32 am Or do both. Even though I have a Turbonanza system, I still prefer to use the EDFX for audio output since, apparently, the audio coming from the console is prone to picking up interference from something in the room/building, while audio from the EDFX is clean (or as clean as it can be since it still makes noise from the power rails/SD access card lol).
The Turbonanza sounds like a good solution for another TG16 I have, wherein I replaced the RF outlet (which was damaged) with a USB to composite solution. This sounds like a more robust solution than my original job and looks like a very simple install. Might still be worth getting the EDFX though but its too bad the EngineBlock is no longer of use, however, I might not need it anymore anyway.

Figured Bin+Cue was best but glad its been confirmed. Is there any special tricks to the CD bios? Does it auto select based off the software booting for best compatibility?
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
Gara

Post by Gara »

fernan1234 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:32 am Or do both. Even though I have a Turbonanza system, I still prefer to use the EDFX for audio output since, apparently, the audio coming from the console is prone to picking up interference from something in the room/building, while audio from the EDFX is clean (or as clean as it can be since it still makes noise from the power rails/SD access card lol).
That's clever. I'll have to try that. I was thinking of custom cabling to make that happen before I realized I was making things more complicated than needed. I have some HD-Retrovision Genesis cables that I'm not using so I can just use those audio leads rather than the ones coming out of the S-Video cable I'm using. Did you notice a difference or was this more of an abundance of caution thing?

Video
Turbonanza S-video>Koryuu>Gcompsw>Comp2RGB
Audio
EDFX HD-Retrovision>Gcompsw>Comp2RGB
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Its worth inquiring, no such S-Video cable exists that pairs to the Genesis 2 port, right? I've only seen Composite, RGB, and SCART.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Limbrooke wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:35 pm Its worth inquiring, no such S-Video cable exists that pairs to the Genesis 2 port, right? I've only seen Composite, RGB, and SCART.
Micomsoft did release a rare MD2 transcoding device called "XMD-3" that converts RGB to S-Video but it's basically for a Mega Drive 2 console setup (rather than the Mega Drive 1). Yes, it'd be MD2/Genesis 2 port outputs in RCA Composite Video, RGB and Euro Scart (or Japanese 21-pin RGB).

The EDFX add-on is cool -- is necessary if you want to hook up a PCE or TG-16 loaded up with a Turbo Everdrive Pro to a candy cab with a Scart to Jamma JammaIZER setup with a MD2/Genesis 2 Euro Scart with breakout stereo cable fed into the candy cab's stereo input interface to listen to the music in full glorious stereo sound.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Gara wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:16 am Did you notice a difference or was this more of an abundance of caution thing?
There was a difference in the way that I mentioned, but in other places or other people's setup there may be no difference. Somehow in my setup it seems like PCE consoles can act as crappy receivers that pick up noise from something in the environment (ends up sounding like a flapping sound that varies if the console is physically moved around/rotated). The audio from the EDFX is unaffected by this, though again it will have all the other noises native to the console + the use of the TED Pro.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Gara wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:16 amDid you notice a difference or was this more of an abundance of caution thing?
I would not buy a EDFX just for audio based on one person on a forum, lol.

My Turbonanza has been fine. The only noise I have is typical PC Engine noise that is internally generated, not externally
Limbrooke wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:35 pm Its worth inquiring, no such S-Video cable exists that pairs to the Genesis 2 port, right? I've only seen Composite, RGB, and SCART.
No, that's why when people s-video mod their Genesis consoles, they have to add a separate s-video port (or I guess they maybe could swap their 9-pin connector with a Saturn style 10-pin)
Gara

Post by Gara »

BazookaBen wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:21 am
Gara wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:16 amDid you notice a difference or was this more of an abundance of caution thing?
I would not buy a EDFX just for audio based on one person on a forum, lol.
Haha I agree! This is all stuff I just happened to have. I've been chasing an ideal PC Engine setup for a few years now. SSDS3, SHDS3, and now the Turbo Everdrive Pro. It seems like I'm always having to compromise on something though.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

BazookaBen wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:21 am I would not buy a EDFX just for audio based on one person on a forum, lol.
Yeah I wouldn't go out of my way to get one lol. I just had one that I got as a combo with the TED Pro, since I can also use the EDFX on my non-nanza Supergrafx. It just happened to provide a solution for the nanza'd PCE that picks up external noise.
kevkevkevkev

Post by kevkevkevkev »

Love my edfx and everdrive pro so far. But 2 questions. My rgc scart lead is wired wrong. Audio is switched. Try the intro on parasol stars and you'll hear thesound goes the wrong way. Now I plan to get a md2 soon so don't really want to mess with it. Would a cheap cheap scart lead work fine in stereo? Pretty sure it's not an issue with the edfx

Also. Why are the the different edge setting have different volumes for left and right depending on selecting your hardware? Wouldn't left and right be the same regardless of volume?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

FTY, EDFX got cloned by chinaman.
kevkevkevkev wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:00 am Also. Why are the the different edge setting have different volumes for left and right depending on selecting your hardware? Wouldn't left and right be the same regardless of volume?
Original consoles were balanced by half brains.