What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
guigui

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by guigui »

Arino wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:06 pm I'm playing Nex Machina right now.
What a game Nex Machina is !

I spent much time with it when it came out, then launched it again last week on a random browse of my catalog and it did not disappoint : definitely the climax of twin-stick shooting, miles and miles away from anything else in the genre, really.

This game has all that a shmup player needs : satisfying exploding stuffs, big weapons, big bosses, sense of accomplishment, skill needed to progress, risk vs reward gameplay, score chase, strategy needed to do well ; and this dash is so satisfying.

Highly recommended, even to "I dont like twin-stick" people. This game is really in its own league.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Arino

Post by Arino »

guigui wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:26 pm
Arino wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:06 pm I'm playing Nex Machina right now.
What a game Nex Machina is !

I spent much time with it when it came out, then launched it again last week on a random browse of my catalog and it did not disappoint : definitely the climax of twin-stick shooting, miles and miles away from anything else in the genre, really.

This game has all that a shmup player needs : satisfying exploding stuffs, big weapons, big bosses, sense of accomplishment, skill needed to progress, risk vs reward gameplay, score chase, strategy needed to do well ; and this dash is so satisfying.

Highly recommended, even to "I dont like twin-stick" people. This game is really in its own league.
Yeah, totally agree, also lots of mechanics that add to the scoring, like chain/combo shit, hidden stuff, there is always room for improvement. I realized how great it was when it first came out but just like so many other games I didn't play it properly immediately because there is always something else I want to play as well. Let's see if I get really into it this time or if it takes me another seven years ^^"

I think Xeno Crisis is also great, I played that one for quite some time a few years ago.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Arcade Archives: VS Castlevania.

After spending a few hours there, I've noticed a higher difficulty spike compared with the original NES game. Less time and more damage received being the most notorious aspects. If you're a CV pro, you'll be right at home (or at castle).
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Arino wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:46 pm I think Xeno Crisis is also great, I played that one for quite some time a few years ago.
I'd take Xeno Crisis any day, if only for the reason that it doesn't massively rely on memorization for good play.
That really turned me off on Nex Machina even though I really enjoyed it.
I know I could just ignore the chaining and hidden items, but it's kinda hard to
Last edited by Sumez on Sun May 12, 2024 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
it290

Post by it290 »

^ditto re: Xeno Crisis/Nex Machina. I do really love Nex, but the game's manic neon voxel aesthetic does cause some visibility issues in my experience; not an issue in XC. On XC's side, I would have enjoyed a more fleshed out endless mode and perhaps a main campaign that was a level shorter but with a loop, as I'm seldom in the mood to go through the whole thing these days.

I can understand why, but it's also a bit of a shame the game hasn't gotten more refinements in its subsequent platform releases. The PC/modern console release has some decent tweaks compared to the original MD release, and Neo-Geo version is obviously kind of its own thing, but having just picked up the SNES version I was a bit disappointed to find that not only is it (literally) a scaled down version of the MD release—I don't think any of the assets were redrawn by hand to work with the more limited resolution—but that the music is just the MD waveforms running via special chip in the cart (and hence the game can't currently be emulated either).
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I finished Lies of P last night. Fun game, but a bit uneven. Environmental design is generally excellent and the weapon crafting and upgrading is perfection. But boss quality varies quite a bit. Some are great, and some are terrible. The game does end on a high note though, as the last two bosses are some of the most well crafted ones in the game.

Not up to the standard of From's games, or Nioh, imo. But still a good time.
Arino

Post by Arino »

Sumez wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:58 am
Is that a Wii U with a thick layer of dust on it? :lol:
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

To Far Away Times wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:22 pmBut boss quality varies quite a bit. Some are great, and some are terrible.
Honestly this sounds like the opinion most people have of From's games. Are there any as bad as Bed of Chaos? Because if not it'd sound like generally a good time. :P
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:14 pm
To Far Away Times wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:22 pmBut boss quality varies quite a bit. Some are great, and some are terrible.
Honestly this sounds like the opinion most people have of From's games. Are there any as bad as Bed of Chaos? Because if not it'd sound like generally a good time. :P
I'd say they're bad in a different way.

There is a gimmick mini-boss on the last chapter, but it's not as bad as Bed of Chaos. One thing I think From's games do really well is that they are very honest with their traditional bosses and I almost always felt they were fair, and the animations would have tells in their attacks. And I think Lies of P was very uneven in that regard. Sometimes it's as good as From's bosses, other times the animations seem a lot less thoughtful. Also, nearly every boss in the back half of the game features an immediate second boss battle. After you see it a few times, it loses all suprise and you start to expect them to pull the same rabbit out of the hat again and again. Sometimes, the first boss is very tanky, like Laxasia or the Swamp Monster, and you're looking at like five minutes to down the first phase to quickly die on a mechanically unrelated second boss. For example; the first boss might require you to block and parry a bunch, the second boss might be focused more on dodging and attacking, but it'll take several deaths to figure that out. From's double bosses build on the mechanics of the first one, so it feels like a much more fair progression for the fight.

Also, this game does the whole boss spinning on a stick thing that Dark Souls 2 does. Some bosses can even spin in a mid air jump if you try to walk around some vertical attacks that the developers really wanted you to avoid in a different way.

IMO, Lies of P is more difficult than From's games in general, except for Sekiro. I kind of think the difficulty of the Soul's games is a bit overstated. That's not to say they aren't difficult, because they are, but they demand a deliberate style of playing carefully and that's where most of the difficulty comes from. Lies of P takes the Dark Souls difficulty memes and runs with it with more challenging boss battles. In Dark Souls 1, the difficulty was from the stages, but the bosses were easier since you were expected to arrive with lower resources. In Dark Souls 3 it was flipped, where the stages were made easier, and the bosses were harder. This is like the next tier of even harder boss battles while keeping about Dark Souls 3's level of stage challenge.

One thing the game does much better than From's games is the flexibilty in the weapon system. The weapon blade/handle customization system, easy respec'ing, and abundance of weapon upgrade materials is super refreshing. I stuck a long greatsword blade on a rapier handle, allowing for quick long reach attacks and the ability to punish things even with push block, but there is tons of cool stuff you can do. By the end of the game you can buy an entire weapon's worth of upgrade materials from the shop for about the cost of one level's worth of souls. Once you unlock the tree that let's you respec there's no real penalty for trying things, and I would say frequently switching weapons is even encouraged.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I randomly decided to play Jedi Outcast for the first time in an extremely long time. I forgot how ridiculously violent this game can be; I played the entire game with g_saberrealisticcombat enabled, so throwing my lightsaber down a hallway filled with enemies resulted in limbs and heads everywhere. It unbalances the game because lightsabers now kill both you and enemies in one or two hits, so you have to be extremely careful. I accidentally killed Lando once because he touched me when my lightsaber was activated and he fell into pieces on the floor...

Desann also ended up accidentally killing himself by Force pulling me into him. As Kyle was faceplanting after being pulled, my lightsaber clipped Desann for enough frames to kill him and in his death animation he fell face first onto my lightsaber and his head got cut off. What an anticlimactic final boss fight.

Started playing Jedi Academy immediately after, and the difference in tone is quite striking. Going from JKO's INTENSELY SERIOUS story and maze-like where-the-fuck-do-I-go level design to the cartoonish, fragmented, and uninteresting story and simplified level design of JKA is really jarring. Luke's face also looks weird in JKA, but that's not really a major problem.
hazys

Post by hazys »

Yesterday I was playing Pokémon Stadium 2 with a friend and had a lot of fun with Free Battles and rental Pokémon. There should really be a Pokémon game that just lets you pick a team of six and go into a battle instantly. I know people use Pokémon Showdown for that, but that's geared at a competitive crowd. Something casual would be great. Also I was shocked by how much more expressive Pokémon animations were in these games. They totally blow the modern titles out of the water.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Done with Jedi Academy. Got both endings, but decided to run past most of the enemies in the last two levels because I didn't feel like fighting all of them. I don't really have much else to say about this game.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

hazys wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:11 am Yesterday I was playing Pokémon Stadium 2 with a friend and had a lot of fun with Free Battles and rental Pokémon. There should really be a Pokémon game that just lets you pick a team of six and go into a battle instantly. I know people use Pokémon Showdown for that, but that's geared at a competitive crowd. Something casual would be great. Also I was shocked by how much more expressive Pokémon animations were in these games. They totally blow the modern titles out of the water.
I was thinking about this and talking in my server about it. Like a Master Duel type thing with Pokemon for purely battling. And a "For Fun/For Glory" setup. But that would be a live service nightmare I wouldn't want to see in this world. It'd be loaded with granular crafting and grotesque currency systems up the ass with fuck tons of premium passes. Making one team would take like 8 months.

But in a perfect world, it'd just be an aesthetically spruced up ShowDown with a streamlined UI.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Finally finished Baldr Bringer. Giga games are typically long, but this one was really fucking long lol. Quite enjoyed the main game, but have mixed feelings on Extend Code. (Started out well, then went into primo wtf mode.) Unlike the other Baldr games, this one plays more like a looter shooter but top-down 2D. Proud to say I made it into the top 200 internet ranking.

Wanted to play something silly and relaxed, so after all these years I'm finally playing Otome Crisis. Good dumb fun with lesbians. I approve.
hazys

Post by hazys »

XoPachi wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:57 amI was thinking about this and talking in my server about it. Like a Master Duel type thing with Pokemon for purely battling. And a "For Fun/For Glory" setup. But that would be a live service nightmare I wouldn't want to see in this world. It'd be loaded with granular crafting and grotesque currency systems up the ass with fuck tons of premium passes. Making one team would take like 8 months.

But in a perfect world, it'd just be an aesthetically spruced up ShowDown with a streamlined UI.
Yeah, it doesn't take a lot more thought to realize why Nintendo doesn't do this anymore and why it'd be awful if they did. If nothing else it's interesting to remember a time when their Pokémon philosophy allowed for this. Nowadays it'd run counter to the Pokémon Home ecosystem or whatever.
-Fish-

Post by -Fish- »

Turrican II AGA version. Playing on Retroarch w/Amiga PUAE core.

The AGA version includes the art assets from the PC-DOS release. PC assets contained more on-screen colors than the Amiga as well as higher detailed pixel art including the more detailed boss art. Luckily, you can change between the PC and Amiga character sprite in the options menu (everyone always favored Amiga in that regard). Also, has added secrets in-game and the ability to finally look down. This is the best version of Turrican II available IMO.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Ooh nice, will check this out on my A500 mini, cheers.

After getting distracted early on, I've gone back to REmake 4, and it's bloody brilliant. It's the guns, they all feel really good to use, even the weak SMG. Just set piece aftercset piece, with some absolutely incredible visuals. It is quite odd how little of the original I remember though. Might have to do a run if that after to compare, though being rooted while shooting can already go fuck itself.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell