Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Steven
Posts: 2905
Joined: Tue May 11, 2021 5:24 am
Location: Tokyo

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by Steven »

vol.2 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:22 pm
Steven wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:01 am Both, but I made a big change when it was off, not a small one. I spun that thing like 90 degrees in both directions with it both on and off and it didn't change anything. At this point I'm thinking that it probably needs to be resoldered.
Probably. I would expect there to be some noticeable change when you move it, even if it's the wrong results. There's almost certainly a broken solder joint or a loose connection somewhere that's bypassing the effect of that pot. It wouldn't have to be the pot itself though, there could be something upstream or downstream from it in the circuit that's breaking the connection
I finally got some time and checked out the soldering on the PCB.
Spoiler
Image
Looks pretty good to me, although the R, G, and B labels are backwards on the underside of the PCB. The screen got very blue again today suddenly. Any other advice on what to check? I tried removing and reinserting the PCB's ribbon cable and it didn't fix it.
User avatar
vol.2
Posts: 2456
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:13 pm
Location: bmore

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by vol.2 »

Steven wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:03 am]

Looks pretty good to me, although the R, G, and B labels are backwards on the underside of the PCB.
How are the pots mislabeled? If you asked me to look at that picture, I would immediately point out that the pot labelled G-GAIN looks like a cold solder joint. Look carefully at the dark ring visible on the top side of the pin. I have circled it here:
Spoiler
Image
In any case, if you have not already done so, go over every single joint with a soldering iron and add a tiny bit more solder to refresh it. Chances are it's something hard to see. Don't just do the pots, also do the solder joints on connectors; they get plugged and unplugged, so there is stress on the joints. Very old solder becomes brittle with time and heat, and there may be stresses inside on the joints like the weight of components and the bowing of PCBs for various reasons

If you do all that and it's still wonky, remove the pots and measure the resistance while moving the pot from side to side and make sure there aren't any significant dead spots. Often times, there develops a wear spot in the general area that the color balance is most correct, and the pots will start to act hinky in that area. If that's the case, you can try swapping the pots around to see if the problem color changes. The Gain pots should all be the same resistance, but you can confirm that when you measure them.

If all of that proves that the pots are good and the solder it okay, then it may be the output transistors on the guns or something. It's hard to say; at that point you have to go on a troubleshooting hunt, and it can take awhile for the problem to appear. Hopefully, you at least have something like a cheap component tester to check if transistors are at least showing up as probably good. The really bad thing here is that it's intermittent. That means you could have a component that will test okay, but will start to break under load and/or heat

Still, my money is on cold solder joints giving you issues. If it's not the pots, it's probably something else in the path of the blue gun
User avatar
SGGG2
Posts: 754
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:03 am
Location: East Coast, US

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by SGGG2 »

Can you swap the optical assembly between a model 1 and 2 Saturn?
User avatar
VEGETA
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon May 31, 2021 10:40 am

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by VEGETA »

Hello,

I wanted to ask about Superguns and their power supply for home arcade setup.

Exactly, how much power is needed? I saw 12v and 5v are required and some require -5v but low amp. A famous PSU shows 12v 4A and 5v 16A, is it that much of power consumption monster? powering just one arcade board of course.
User avatar
vol.2
Posts: 2456
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:13 pm
Location: bmore

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by vol.2 »

SGGG2 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:42 pm Can you swap the optical assembly between a model 1 and 2 Saturn?
I think you can. IIRC, they are the same machine and the big differences are cosmetic things like the case of the 2 is a single piece of plastic and it's cheaper. If you don't get a more definitive answer from someone here, I think that someone over on https://www.reddit.com/r/SegaSaturn/ can tell you.
TheRetroCarrot
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:08 pm

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by TheRetroCarrot »

Anybody have a service manual for a Toshiba cz27v51? Looking for a breakdown of the service menu options and unfortunately can't find one online at all.

Chassis number is TAC 9911. One thing in particular is the WID option, which seems to be for horizontal size? However this seemingly does absolutely nothing, this set has by far the best geometry I've ever seen on any CRT, and I've adjusted absolutely nothing. However without being able to add some overscan a lot of systems will have some black bars on the side which is a shame.
User avatar
wwse
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:34 pm
Location: Minsk, Republic of Belarus

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by wwse »

Finally got the Sony BKM-10R controller for my BVM D24. All the buttons and knobs work, but for some reason the button backlight does not light up. Has anyone encountered such a problem?
User avatar
Angry Hina
Posts: 366
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:44 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by Angry Hina »

Is there any television recommendation thread? Iam searching for an UHD flat screen with very little input lag and with many video input ports like RGB, component and VGA. midsize would be enough. Any advice?
User avatar
vol.2
Posts: 2456
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:13 pm
Location: bmore

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by vol.2 »

Angry Hina wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:57 pm Is there any television recommendation thread? Iam searching for an UHD flat screen with very little input lag and with many video input ports like RGB, component and VGA. midsize would be enough. Any advice?
Nothing specifically like that here no. I've seen various threads over the years discussion input lag on flat panels and such, but people don't gravitate towards overly generalized topics like that in this forum. The Hardware section tends to be more used for specific troubleshooting, and to discuss signal path solutions including scaling.

You will probably get some suggestions if you persist, but I think you'll get more bang for you buck if you take your question to reddit. It's a lot easier to crowdsource opinions like that there because there's so many people looking for that kind of thing
User avatar
orange808
Posts: 3207
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:43 am

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by orange808 »

Angry Hina wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:57 pm Is there any television recommendation thread? Iam searching for an UHD flat screen with very little input lag and with many video input ports like RGB, component and VGA. midsize would be enough. Any advice?
Start with a Retrotink4k. Next, investigate the reviews on new panels and buy one.
We apologise for the inconvenience
User avatar
bobrocks95
Posts: 3469
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:27 am
Location: Kentucky

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by bobrocks95 »

Would not expect any 4K TV to have anything more than HDMI and *maybe* composite. Haven't seen VGA on a TV in like 15 years or component in 5-10.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
User avatar
orange808
Posts: 3207
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:43 am

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by orange808 »

For further clarification, we don't buy video processors for our gaming needs to be elitists. They aren't shelf queens. We don't buy them to post pics on the forum. Spending a lot of money is never fun.

We buy them to get our legacy game machines working properly on modern UHD 4k displays. They are a product of frustration with display manufacturers.

If the displays handled everything properly, the Retrotink4k wouldn't have a market. We got where we are because the displays don't do the job all by themselves.
We apologise for the inconvenience
tongshadow
Posts: 621
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:11 pm

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by tongshadow »

Angry Hina wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:57 pm Is there any television recommendation thread? Iam searching for an UHD flat screen with very little input lag and with many video input ports like RGB, component and VGA. midsize would be enough. Any advice?
If you dont mind FHD, you want a Plasma TV, preferably a Plasma Monitor. You dont need UHD for retrogaming.
User avatar
orange808
Posts: 3207
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:43 am

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by orange808 »

Opinions on plasma displays vary. I'll leave it at that.
We apologise for the inconvenience
ldeveraux
Posts: 1123
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:20 pm

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by ldeveraux »

orange808 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:37 pm For further clarification, we don't buy video processors for our gaming needs to be elitists. They aren't shelf queens. We don't buy them to post pics on the forum. Spending a lot of money is never fun.
Speak for yourself as I've seen people on Reddit have a very different opinion. :D Some of them have far more money than sense.
User avatar
vol.2
Posts: 2456
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:13 pm
Location: bmore

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by vol.2 »

I think that orange's point is that this particular forum tends to cater to hobbyists who are serious and are looking for solutions to bad quality upscaling, not that the general world of retro gaming isn't filled with people who simply collect video game stuff to display on the wall or whatever, because it absolutely is. The reason I gravitated towards Shmups in the first place was that people seemed to be more serious about the hobby here in general
ldeveraux
Posts: 1123
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:20 pm

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by ldeveraux »

I suppose this is the right place for this question then: I only browse Shmups on the web and it's infuriating that nobody quotes. What app are you folks using to browse that eliminates the need for quoting and lets you actually understand the flow of discussions?
Dochartaigh
Posts: 1528
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:53 pm

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by Dochartaigh »

ldeveraux wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:04 pm I suppose this is the right place for this question then: I only browse Shmups on the web and it's infuriating that nobody quotes. What app are you folks using to browse that eliminates the need for quoting and lets you actually understand the flow of discussions?
Don't quite know what you mean. I'm quoting you right above, and 2x posts above ours another person uses quotes...10x (now 11x) of them on this page alone.
GojiFan90
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:28 am

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by GojiFan90 »

I have been out of the loop for a long time now, so apologies in advance for my lack of up to date knowledge. I haven't been keeping up with the retro scaler scene since the Framemeister days but having finally purged all my CRTs I am in need of a competent scaler for my remaining consoles. I game on a 1080p monitor and do not necessarily need 4K compatibility. I do need something with analog inputs. Having done some cursory research it appears the best options for my use case would be either an OSSC pro or a Retrotink 5x pro. The Morph and Tink 4K seem like overkill (the Morph only has digital input anyway). At this point in time should I just get the Tink 5x or would an OSSC pro be a more future proof investment? They are both at roughly the same price point.
User avatar
Angry Hina
Posts: 366
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:44 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by Angry Hina »

Thanks for the replies
orange808 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:53 pm
Angry Hina wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:57 pm Is there any television recommendation thread? Iam searching for an UHD flat screen with very little input lag and with many video input ports like RGB, component and VGA. midsize would be enough. Any advice?
Start with a Retrotink4k. Next, investigate the reviews on new panels and buy one.
I have an OSSC to begin with but the Ports and displaying topic is just one of two. Doesnt these panels differ in terms of their input lag as well?
If you dont mind FHD, you want a Plasma TV, preferably a Plasma Monitor. You dont need UHD for retrogaming.
my new tv isnt just for retro gaming of course. I alos want to play Armored Core 6 and others ;)
Would not expect any 4K TV to have anything more than HDMI and *maybe* composite. Haven't seen VGA on a TV in like 15 years or component in 5-10.
My Samsung flat screen is kinda old, I know and I know most dont have many ports but I thought there must be some for usp alone...
User avatar
bobrocks95
Posts: 3469
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:27 am
Location: Kentucky

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by bobrocks95 »

Angry Hina wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:54 am Thanks for the replies
orange808 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:53 pm
Angry Hina wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:57 pm Is there any television recommendation thread? Iam searching for an UHD flat screen with very little input lag and with many video input ports like RGB, component and VGA. midsize would be enough. Any advice?
Start with a Retrotink4k. Next, investigate the reviews on new panels and buy one.
I have an OSSC to begin with but the Ports and displaying topic is just one of two. Doesnt these panels differ in terms of their input lag as well?
If you dont mind FHD, you want a Plasma TV, preferably a Plasma Monitor. You dont need UHD for retrogaming.
my new tv isnt just for retro gaming of course. I alos want to play Armored Core 6 and others ;)
Would not expect any 4K TV to have anything more than HDMI and *maybe* composite. Haven't seen VGA on a TV in like 15 years or component in 5-10.
My Samsung flat screen is kinda old, I know and I know most dont have many ports but I thought there must be some for usp alone...
Easier to upgrade your scaler later than the TV. I'd figure out your budget for a nice modern panel, try your OSSC, and see if you want to spend more after that.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Dochartaigh
Posts: 1528
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:53 pm

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by Dochartaigh »

GojiFan90 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:26 am I have been out of the loop for a long time now, so apologies in advance for my lack of up to date knowledge. I haven't been keeping up with the retro scaler scene since the Framemeister days but having finally purged all my CRTs I am in need of a competent scaler for my remaining consoles. I game on a 1080p monitor and do not necessarily need 4K compatibility. I do need something with analog inputs. Having done some cursory research it appears the best options for my use case would be either an OSSC pro or a Retrotink 5x pro. The Morph and Tink 4K seem like overkill (the Morph only has digital input anyway). At this point in time should I just get the Tink 5x or would an OSSC pro be a more future proof investment? They are both at roughly the same price point.
I think Tink 4K is still worth it, because a new model isn't going to come out for a very long time most likely, and you'll probably get a 4K+ resolution screen at some point. From the videos I've watched the CRT filters are pretty great, and they NEED that 4K resolution to do them correctly (1080p doesn't have enough pixels).
GojiFan90
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:28 am

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by GojiFan90 »

Dochartaigh wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:16 am
GojiFan90 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:26 am I have been out of the loop for a long time now, so apologies in advance for my lack of up to date knowledge. I haven't been keeping up with the retro scaler scene since the Framemeister days but having finally purged all my CRTs I am in need of a competent scaler for my remaining consoles. I game on a 1080p monitor and do not necessarily need 4K compatibility. I do need something with analog inputs. Having done some cursory research it appears the best options for my use case would be either an OSSC pro or a Retrotink 5x pro. The Morph and Tink 4K seem like overkill (the Morph only has digital input anyway). At this point in time should I just get the Tink 5x or would an OSSC pro be a more future proof investment? They are both at roughly the same price point.
I think Tink 4K is still worth it, because a new model isn't going to come out for a very long time most likely, and you'll probably get a 4K+ resolution screen at some point. From the videos I've watched the CRT filters are pretty great, and they NEED that 4K resolution to do them correctly (1080p doesn't have enough pixels).
Thanks, the Tink is honestly what I am leaning more towards at the moment. The OSSC has VGA, but honestly I would only use that for Dreamcast and I have a SCART cable for my DC so VGA is not a must for me. The Tink has SVID which many don't care about but I play a lot of N64 games so it is definitely a plus in the Tink's favor for me. The OSSC pro seems like a really nice device with a lot of potential but it just seems incomplete at this point.
User avatar
orange808
Posts: 3207
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:43 am

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by orange808 »

GojiFan90 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:27 am Thanks, the Tink is honestly what I am leaning more towards at the moment. The OSSC has VGA, but honestly I would only use that for Dreamcast and I have a SCART cable for my DC so VGA is not a must for me. The Tink has SVID which many don't care about but I play a lot of N64 games so it is definitely a plus in the Tink's favor for me. The OSSC pro seems like a really nice device with a lot of potential but it just seems incomplete at this point.
For what it's worth, the Tink4k accepts RGB on the HD-15/DE-15 input. You can send VGA as RGBHV on that input and many other signals (as well). So, there is a standard "VGA" input on the Tink4k.

Don't sleep on the potential of high frame rate output and blur reduction at 1080p. 1080p/240Hz has advantages.
We apologise for the inconvenience
GojiFan90
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:28 am

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by GojiFan90 »

orange808 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:54 pm
GojiFan90 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:27 am Thanks, the Tink is honestly what I am leaning more towards at the moment. The OSSC has VGA, but honestly I would only use that for Dreamcast and I have a SCART cable for my DC so VGA is not a must for me. The Tink has SVID which many don't care about but I play a lot of N64 games so it is definitely a plus in the Tink's favor for me. The OSSC pro seems like a really nice device with a lot of potential but it just seems incomplete at this point.
For what it's worth, the Tink4k accepts RGB on the HD-15/DE-15 input. You can send VGA as RGBHV on that input and many other signals (as well). So, there is a standard "VGA" input on the Tink4k.

Don't sleep on the potential of high frame rate output and blur reduction at 1080p. 1080p/240Hz has advantages.
I appreciate that info. The HFR is a tempting feature, but at twice the price the Tink 4K is simply not in my budget at this time. I think for the features it offers Mike is charging a fair price for that unit but again I simply don't have enough disposable income to justify it when I am 1080p only at this time. Thanks!
ldeveraux
Posts: 1123
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:20 pm

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by ldeveraux »

Dochartaigh wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:13 am
ldeveraux wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:04 pm I suppose this is the right place for this question then: I only browse Shmups on the web and it's infuriating that nobody quotes. What app are you folks using to browse that eliminates the need for quoting and lets you actually understand the flow of discussions?
Don't quite know what you mean. I'm quoting you right above, and 2x posts above ours another person uses quotes...10x (now 11x) of them on this page alone.
Right above my question, responded to and not quoted. The point is that I was told ages ago why some people refuse to quote, saying there was no need as it's organized properly in whatever app they use.
Dochartaigh
Posts: 1528
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:53 pm

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by Dochartaigh »

ldeveraux wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:46 pm
Dochartaigh wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:13 am
ldeveraux wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:04 pm I suppose this is the right place for this question then: I only browse Shmups on the web and it's infuriating that nobody quotes. What app are you folks using to browse that eliminates the need for quoting and lets you actually understand the flow of discussions?
Don't quite know what you mean. I'm quoting you right above, and 2x posts above ours another person uses quotes...10x (now 11x) of them on this page alone.
Right above my question, responded to and not quoted. The point is that I was told ages ago why some people refuse to quote, saying there was no need as it's organized properly in whatever app they use.
I'll stay tuned if there is something cool like that! (and from a desktop computer as I don't use a phone for the forum). Generally speaking though, if there's nothing referenced in their phone I don't see how it would automatically know who they're replying to...
ldeveraux
Posts: 1123
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:20 pm

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by ldeveraux »

Dochartaigh wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:37 pm
ldeveraux wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:46 pm
Dochartaigh wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:13 am

Don't quite know what you mean. I'm quoting you right above, and 2x posts above ours another person uses quotes...10x (now 11x) of them on this page alone.
Right above my question, responded to and not quoted. The point is that I was told ages ago why some people refuse to quote, saying there was no need as it's organized properly in whatever app they use.
I'll stay tuned if there is something cool like that! (and from a desktop computer as I don't use a phone for the forum). Generally speaking though, if there's nothing referenced in their phone I don't see how it would automatically know who they're replying to...
Exactly. When people respond but do not quote, I don't get a notification. I could very easily miss that comment. Not that I'm important, but that's not the point...
User avatar
Josh128
Posts: 2140
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:01 am

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by Josh128 »

I admit, Im very guilty of that here (see what I did there?). :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
User avatar
Angry Hina
Posts: 366
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:44 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by Angry Hina »

But if you want to quote several things in one post, it gets a bit tricky or am I missing something?
Post Reply