I’ve found a major bug on the Wii U

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
RebeL9

I’ve found a major bug on the Wii U

Post by RebeL9 »

I think I’ve came across a major bug on the Wii U which I haven’t seen being addressed.
If you use component cables on your Wii U and go into vwii the system switches to interlaced mode regardless if your console is set to progressive scan.
480p was supported on the original Wii console so there shouldn’t be a reason for it not working on vwii on a Wii U.
I think the reason that’s it’s not being mentioned is that most people uses hdmi on their Wii u and this bug is only present when using component cables.
Anyone here have component cables and want to test this bug out?
How did Nintendo totally miss this bug? I think I need to get in touch with them. They need to release a firmware update to fix it.
Rulumi

Re: I’ve found a major bug on the Wii U

Post by Rulumi »

Do you have an European system? The European system firmware has an absurd software limitation of only outputting Wii mode in interlaced and SD resolutions.

Progressive, and 720p and 1080 output should work fine through component on American and Japanese systems.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Can confirm this works fine on American systems, including 576p.
RebeL9 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:47 am I think I need to get in touch with them. They need to release a firmware update to fix it.
You can't be serious.
RebeL9

Post by RebeL9 »

Rulumi wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:53 am Do you have an European system? The European system firmware has an absurd software limitation of only outputting Wii mode in interlaced and SD resolutions.

Progressive, and 720p and 1080 output should work fine through component on American and Japanese systems.
Wow so this is a bug only on European systems?
Yeah mine is a European model.
How the heck have they never addressed this bug?
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Extrems wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:55 am Can confirm this works fine on American systems, including 576p.
RebeL9 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:47 am I think I need to get in touch with them. They need to release a firmware update to fix it.
You can't be serious.
Hahah seriously. I wonder what was the last time Nintendo even acknowledged Wii U’s existence :P
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Nowadays it's probably trivial to install an NTSC Wii firmware on your vWii, independent of the Wii U's firmware, which would bypass this issue.

Nothing wrong with interlaced output though, especially if using a CRT.
Extrems wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:55 am
You can't be serious.
This gave me a nice chuckle. Though if he contacts Nintendo he will 100% get a reply, but it will 100% do nothing.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

kitty666cats wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:19 am Hahah seriously. I wonder what was the last time Nintendo even acknowledged Wii U’s existence :P
Probably when they announced the online service / eshop shutdown dates :D

But might as well petition Sony to issue a patch for the PAL copy of GT4 to support 480p.
RebeL9

Post by RebeL9 »

fernan1234 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:46 am Nowadays it's probably trivial to install an NTSC Wii firmware on your vWii, independent of the Wii U's firmware, which would bypass this issue.

Nothing wrong with interlaced output though, especially if using a CRT.
Extrems wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:55 am
You can't be serious.
This gave me a nice chuckle. Though if he contacts Nintendo he will 100% get a reply, but it will 100% do nothing.
How does one change the firmware from a different region?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

RebeL9 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:08 pm How does one change the firmware from a different region?
There are a couple of different ways but what I previously used is the AnyRegion Changer homebrew app: https://wiibrew.org/wiki/AnyRegion_Changer

Just make sure to follow the instructions and there should be no problem.
Rulumi

Post by Rulumi »

I think you'll need to change the Wii U mode firmware part for that and not the Wii mode one. Which is possible, but it's more difficult and risky if one doesn't know what one is doing.

There's a "WiiU Video Mode Changer" app, but since it was made before Aroma and Tiramisu, it won't work for Wii mode as it gets reset after rebooting which the system does when entering Wii mode. But making a plugin that can do this without being lost on that kind of reboots should be possible with Aroma.