R-Type arcade in something other than MAME?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Lander

Re: R-Type arcade in something other than MAME?

Post by Lander »

EX's soundtrack is really good. To the point where not even the twangy garageband guitar synth can ruin it :)

I never had much stomach for the intersection of anime with R-Type; for my money, the cheesy CG intro from R-Types is the best characterization the series ever got.

MAN KIND DECIDED TO STRIKE BACK

THE ARR NINE

ILLEGAL MISSION 8)

(REUSABLE CONTAINER DO NOT DESTROY)

None of this questionable 'pilot' business or wishy-washy philosophical moping; just good old fashioned technofetishism and bad voice acting!
The wishy-washing philosophical moping is actually one of the best parts.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Steven wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:20 pm Therefore essentially missing half of the game and therefore incomplete. I believe it also runs at the lower TurboGrafx resolution instead of the higher PC Engine version, but it really should be skipped in favour of the arcade version, R-Types, or Dimensions.
I believe there may be some confusion here. Where is PC-Engine Fan XI when we need him? Now I have to fill him in.

Turbografx and PC-Engine are essentially same console, same hardware and same resolution. One just happens to be for US and one for Japan. R-type was released on two parts for japan on PC-Engine, and as the whole game for Turbografx, but it's still essentially the same conversion, which is the best home conversion of R-type there is, IMHO, due to the extra boss at the end of stage 6. The second loop can be played by entering "final mission code" that is given at the end of the game.

CD-rom of the PC-Engine version has the whole game, arranged soundtrack and anime cutscenes (somewhat redundant I think).

For the record, I own the original R-type PCB, as well as the two-part PC-engine version and PC Engine CD-rom, R-Types PAL for PS1, and even the C64 version... Turbografx version I have on everdrive card, it's the same as PC-Engine version.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Turbo Grafx and PCE are same hardware, but Turbo Grafx version does run at a lower resolution then PCE. This was changed for USA market in an attempt to lower sprite flicker.
MJR

Post by MJR »

SuperDeadite wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:18 am Turbo Grafx and PCE are same hardware, but Turbo Grafx version does run at a lower resolution then PCE. This was changed for USA market in an attempt to lower sprite flicker.
Really? Looks like wikipedia does not give accurate information then. That wouldn't be the first time though :D

Well, thanks for the info.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

The difference is only of 16 pixels anyway. Nothing you could notice with a contemporary consumer CRT, which would normally deal with anything over 320 pixels (or even less than that) as overscan. That's likely the reason why the CD release kept the US version mode.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Lander wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:19 amI never had much stomach for the intersection of anime with R-Type; for my money, the cheesy CG intro from R-Types is the best characterization the series ever got.

MAN KIND DECIDED TO STRIKE BACK

THE ARR NINE

ILLEGAL MISSION 8)

(REUSABLE CONTAINER DO NOT DESTROY)

None of this questionable 'pilot' business or wishy-washy philosophical moping; just good old fashioned technofetishism and bad voice acting!
The wishy-washing philosophical moping is actually one of the best parts.
Fucking Christ Yes Image That intro remains the single most bonerizing thing IREM ever did with the series. Aside from perhaps the MSX's terrifying "BITCH IMMA KILL U" boxart feat a decidedly un-amused DOBIE!

ALL MANKIND CAN DO IS
LAUNCH THIS SHIP, AND
PRAY

That shot of the R9 cornered by Robo Fucks™, only for TEH FORCE to PWN em all with death from above! :O They didn't see that comin! TOTAL PLANETARY WIPEOUT, promptly REVENGEANCED! Signs off with the perfect BRAWAWARARRRR mic drop from iconic Dobie-kun! Image A perfect synthesis of respective 80s and 90s cutting edge.

Although Delta's tundra-shattering pseudo-analogue verite comes very close! And III's "BYE 2 BYDO" tagline is very cute!

Bye to who, motherfucker? :shock:
RetroGameShowcase

Post by RetroGameShowcase »

Man, this thread got out of hand. I pray that in the next year Hamster releases an Arcade Archives version properly adapting the 57fps and we can end all this incertity.
Lander

Post by Lander »

With a tiny 57Hz CRT pack-in! And a plushie Gomander :shock:
BIL wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:42 pm That shot of the R9 cornered by Robo Fucks™, only for TEH FORCE to PWN em all with death from above! :O
Love it; would have been sweet to see a prospective R-Type 4 dovetail away from 3 parallel to Delta-Final-etc and re-embrace fast action cool as a gaiden exercise. Make that surprise dive into a special first-spawn bomb, double down on the force dance, maybe reinterpret the Bar Break (unff!) in a less tragic context. Ah, a man can dream...
BIL wrote:Although Delta's tundra-shattering pseudo-analogue verite comes very close! And III's "BYE 2 BYDO" tagline is very cute!
Reads like something an old-school flying ace would paint on the side of their plane, right next to the flames and leering death grin :mrgreen:
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

They're on the Mister. They got Leo on it, recently, which is nice.