OSSC Pro

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kennygunit

Re: OSSC Pro

Post by kennygunit »

marqs wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:56 am The boards will go on sale next week at the previously mentioned price of $330 / €310 (+shipping & VAT). Wikipage and other information are going to be published during the next few days.
Congrats! Been lurking this post for a few years now. It's been a long time coming. My framemeister just died, so this is perfect timing!
jaffa225man

Post by jaffa225man »

The anticipation is wonderful!

I recently built the MiSTer so I've been making do with my OSSC instead of the DExx-vd isl because I only have a single DE10-Nano. On the DExx-vd isl, I love the new output modes (and frame-unlocking to make my projector accept all output). I'm glad I decided to hold out for the OSSC Pro because I'd have been buying one eventually anyway and then an extra DE10-Nano would seem a waste! :)

Although it's still early stages for them, when S-Video and composite video inputs do become supported, I hope the signal path isn't limited by chroma subsampling (is 4:4:4) because I've never had a solution for that. If I remember right, the Koryuu transcoder (great as an option anyway) does chroma subsampling.

Thanks Markus for all the great gaming perfection, in the past and into the future!
Last edited by jaffa225man on Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Will the OSSC Pro be able to upscale DOS VGA (720x400@70?) to 1440p? I’d like to use it primarily for upscaling old PC hardware.

I know on the DExx this was a bit out of reach especially due to the 70 Hz I think?

Does it also support slot and aperture mask filters?
Jengelenm

Post by Jengelenm »

I wouldn’t want to mess with cables. Plus, removing a couple of cheap RCA connectors and some straight PCB connections would not drop the price much. Right?

awe444 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:06 am
marqs wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:27 pm Image
This is brilliant, thanks!

Putting all three connector types on one add-on board probably makes the most sense from a production standpoint? Though a lower profile variant with just VGA connector + 3.5 mm could be nice for most signal types if used with dongles or connector-converting cables. Curious what others think about this...
AlxUnderBase

Post by AlxUnderBase »

Congrats , @marqs for release date of OSSC Pro !
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Marqs, can you share any photos of the product thats coming available next week? Is it board only or does it come with plexiglass+ standoffs? Or does it actually come with a 3D printed or molded case? If not, do you know if anyone has aftermarket cases that will be soon available? This is great news.
marqs

Post by marqs »

Fed wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:15 amSync question, does the pro allow to adjust vertical sync width ?
I have an Ikegami 1990r which is a monitor not very tolerant on that point causing some flagging at the top of the picture. I was wondering if the pro (or normal) could help on that point.
It's possible but output preset customization is not yet added on the firmware.
sofakng wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:15 am Will the OSSC Pro be able to upscale DOS VGA (720x400@70?) to 1440p? I’d like to use it primarily for upscaling old PC hardware.

I know on the DExx this was a bit out of reach especially due to the 70 Hz I think?

Does it also support slot and aperture mask filters?
1920x1440@70 is within capabilities of the HW.
Josh128 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:35 pm Marqs, can you share any photos of the product thats coming available next week? Is it board only or does it come with plexiglass+ standoffs? Or does it actually come with a 3D printed or molded case? If not, do you know if anyone has aftermarket cases that will be soon available? This is great news.
It comes with 3D-printed white case as shown in the latest VGP newsletter (plus added USB port cutout on the front which was not included in prototype case).
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

OK thanks Marqs! I had seen that but wasnt sure if it was just a prototype case or what. I really like the fact that it has a display and the 1080i modes. Cant wait to try it. Being that it can do true full 1440p, that might be all I need to get the scaling Im looking for for 480p sources to a 4K. The 5X's 1920x1440p mode is incompatible with the 65" Samsung 4K LED I just repaired, and the 2560x1440p FW has the 540p output removed, a deal breaker for me, so cant use that either.
Fed

Post by Fed »

marqs wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:55 pm
Fed wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:15 amSync question, does the pro allow to adjust vertical sync width ?
I have an Ikegami 1990r which is a monitor not very tolerant on that point causing some flagging at the top of the picture. I was wondering if the pro (or normal) could help on that point.
Oh my god, that is a game changer... so just to be clear... I should be able to passtrhough a 15Khz signal and adjust the vertical sync width of the signal ? If the answer is yes I wil be hitting F5 12 hours a day next week :mrgreen:
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Fed wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:46 pm Oh my god, that is a game changer... so just to be clear... I should be able to passtrhough a 15Khz signal and adjust the vertical sync width of the signal ? If the answer is yes I wil be hitting F5 12 hours a day next week
Yeah this would be a very useful feature for this kind of sync sensitive monitor. I also wish there was a way to do this with composite and YC signals that have the same problems (flagging/distortion at the picture top) with certain monitors/input cards. Maybe it would work if we pass those through the green/blue inputs of the OSSC Pro just for sync processing purposes?
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

marqs wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:42 pm There is currently only an expansion card for analog RGBHV output, but you could modify it and and add RGB->composite/s-video encoder chip like BH7236AF in there.
Am I correct in understanding that this will downsample HDMI 480p input content to 240p (well, 2560x240) through a RGBHV expansion output, as well as output line-level audio through some audio plug?

In that case, this is a day1 purchase for me to mess around with Exa Arcadia in my 15khz cab
marqs

Post by marqs »

Fed wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:46 pm
marqs wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:55 pm
Oh my god, that is a game changer... so just to be clear... I should be able to passtrhough a 15Khz signal and adjust the vertical sync width of the signal ? If the answer is yes I wil be hitting F5 12 hours a day next week :mrgreen:
For passthru original OSSC is already capable of adjusting vsync length while retaining the sum of vsync and v_backporch lengths.

Buffi wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:11 pm
marqs wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:42 pm There is currently only an expansion card for analog RGBHV output, but you could modify it and and add RGB->composite/s-video encoder chip like BH7236AF in there.
Am I correct in understanding that this will downsample HDMI 480p input content to 240p (well, 2560x240) through a RGBHV expansion output, as well as output line-level audio through some audio plug?

In that case, this is a day1 purchase for me to mess around with Exa Arcadia in my 15khz cab
Yes, it's capable of that. However, the expansion card is on prototyping stage and not yet available unless you build one. Composite / s-video encoder is not planned to be included to keep size and cost minimal, but there's always room to create alternative design for the expansion card.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

marqs, in a previous post (from 2021) it sounded like rotation would be possible but maybe not at launch. Has that feature been completed for the 2023 release, or will that happen in the future?
jaffa225man

Post by jaffa225man »

SavagePencil wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:28 pm marqs, in a previous post (from 2021) it sounded like rotation would be possible but maybe not at launch. Has that feature been completed for the 2023 release, or will that happen in the future?
It's in the scheduled improvements, although not implemented upon initial release, according to this:
https://junkerhq.net//xrgb/index.php?ti ... provements

Yes, that will be an exciting new feature for me too, although I only have a MAME computer and MiSTer that will be able to gain from it!
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

I was going to question the authority of that link but I went to the history page and saw it was marqs himself, so I'll shut up now :)
jaffa225man

Post by jaffa225man »

SavagePencil wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:27 pm I was going to question the authority of that link but I went to the history page and saw it was marqs himself, so I'll shut up now :)
No problem. Marqs may have more up-to-date information now, so I wouldn't want to stop him answering you additionally.
Fed

Post by Fed »

marqs wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:23 pm
Fed wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:46 pm
marqs wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:55 pm It's possible but output preset customization is not yet added on the firmware.
For passthru original OSSC is already capable of adjusting vsync length while retaining the sum of vsync and v_backporch lengths.
Oh ! Which setting would that be then ? I did not find anything specifically mentionning Vertical Sync Width in the OSSC wiki.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

marqs can you clarify how this Framelock setting works?
Off (source Hz): Output refresh rate is not directly generated from input. A refresh rate matching source is used.
It says it's not generated from input, but how is that different from the source? Put another way, what's a concrete example and use case for this?
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Bob did a 2 hour livestream launch test with Marqs at the link below. I mustve missed it, but I didnt see the 2160p or 240p120 out to the CRT tested.

Marqs sounded super famililar to me, and it was bugging the hell out of me that I couldnt put my finger on who it was-- then it hit me---

THIS MAN SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE RAFAEL NADAL!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqhnW6B1D54&t=3710s
NJRoadfan

Post by NJRoadfan »

sofakng wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:15 am Will the OSSC Pro be able to upscale DOS VGA (720x400@70?) to 1440p? I’d like to use it primarily for upscaling old PC hardware.
This. The original OSSC mostly worked for PC VGA sources, but choked on anything interlaced (ex: 1024x768i@43Hz). I know the ADC can do it and just about any other VESA mode within reason, it is just a matter of firmware programming.
SGGG2

Re: OSSC Pr

Post by SGGG2 »

Any plans to offer different case colors? I hate white and don’t want to purchase a second housing.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Is this already sold out?

https://www.retrorgb.com/ossc-pro-now-available.html
https://videogameperfection.com/products/ossc-pro/

I'm thinking no, and Bob made a mistake?

Edit: Youtube comments say it sold, so it's already out of stock. Wonder if the other scalers will sell out this quickly... Would be fun with all these comments about needing to price competitively if all three of them sold out all the units they could produce.
sofakng

Re: OSSC Pr

Post by sofakng »

SGGG2 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:30 am Any plans to offer different case colors? I hate white and don’t want to purchase a second housing.
I've asked about this as well. They only have white available for now but hopefully they can offer black in the future or open-source the case enclosure.
Gara

Post by Gara »

ZellSF wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:25 am Is this already sold out?

https://www.retrorgb.com/ossc-pro-now-available.html
https://videogameperfection.com/products/ossc-pro/

I'm thinking no, and Bob made a mistake?

Edit: Youtube comments say it sold, so it's already out of stock. Wonder if the other scalers will sell out this quickly... Would be fun with all these comments about needing to price competitively if all three of them sold out all the units they could produce.
It sold out within a few hours of hitting Twitter. In the interview it is mentioned a restock will take a couple months. They want to see how things shake out and make sure there are no problems. I don't think I saw it outright stated, but it seems like the normal early adopter dance where the first batch is small just in case there are hardware problems.

Retrotink 4k had a ton of early units spread around the community and tested extensively, so I'm betting it will have a good sized amount for sale at launch.

I'm worried about the Morph. I hope they don't try launching that thing until next year. I haven't even seen pictures of it in operation. Not a product I'd want to be an early adopter on
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Gara wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:23 pm I'm worried about the Morph. I hope they don't try launching that thing until next year. I haven't even seen pictures of it in operation. Not a product I'd want to be an early adopter on
With marqs having the ossc, Mike with the existing retrotink products and pixelfx with their existing hdmi mods and scaler engine i think the parties behind all 3 scalers have plenty of experience in both soft and hardware and i wouldn't mind being an early adopter on any of them.
I'm not fanatic enough to set any alarm clocks though so i missed the ossc pro order, next batch it is then.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

I managed to get an order in and am very excited for it to arrive.
A few quick questions, apologies if they are repeats,

Does this have input auto detect/switching or is this a possible future update?

I am very interested in this units downscale ability to a crt. When downscaling to 240p what level of positioning/manipulation is possible to center the image.

What is the status of the various expansion boards being developed?

I read on a discord somewhere that a rival unit is able to output an upscaled and a downscaled image at the same time via different outs. This would be an incredible feature if possible. Would this be feasible when the expansion is ready?
jaffa225man

Post by jaffa225man »

Gara wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:23 pm It sold out within a few hours of hitting Twitter. In the interview it is mentioned a restock will take a couple months. They want to see how things shake out and make sure there are no problems. I don't think I saw it outright stated, but it seems like the normal early adopter dance where the first batch is small just in case there are hardware problems.
I saw it with 27-ish in stock, but about six needed US dollars were regrettably still processing in account transfer limbo, so on the bright side I've already saved for an enjoyable Christmas time. Well, really, January or February with shipping time. This will be a positive extension for my credit. :)
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Does this have input auto detect/switching or is this a possible future update?
Do you mean will it automatically switch to, say, AV1 if you turn on your Genesis + SCART cable? I don't think that's in there yet I'd have to ask Marqs if that's possible.
I am very interested in this units downscale ability to a crt. When downscaling to 240p what level of positioning/manipulation is possible to center the image.
In line multiplier mode you can adjust backporch etc, in scaler mode you basically have free control, both are subject to your CRT tolerating it of course.
What is the status of the various expansion boards being developed?
Most negative feedback was due to lack of composite/s-video so I'd like to develop that next. The analogue out card RetroRGB showed on his live stream that works already.
I read on a discord somewhere that a rival unit is able to output an upscaled and a downscaled image at the same time via different outs. This would be an incredible feature if possible. Would this be feasible when the expansion is ready?
Flashback to the old iScan Duo :) Hypothetically Morph could do that with an analogue expansion board though I wouldn't expect it any time soon as the team are pretty busy right now. RT4K has no expansion capability so won't be able to do that. On OSSC pro I believe it's technically possible but again not trivial to implement.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

Yeah around the auto switching question, It would be good to have it as set and forget. Once I have my preferences set up I’ll probably keep it on and waiting for a signal. When is it sees one from one of its inputs it switches to that and knows what I want it to display. That is the ideal anyhow
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

BuckoA51 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:52 amMost negative feedback was due to lack of composite/s-video so I'd like to develop that next. The analogue out card RetroRGB showed on his live stream that works already.
I can understand composite/S-video on a CRT, but on an upscaler? Seriously, who is still using these low quality video signals into scalers? It makes 0 sense to me.