I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
velo

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by velo »

hamfighterx wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:00 pm Taking bets now on whether City Connection releases the Saturn version as an "S-Tribute" game first (I would take that bet).

But I'm super looking forward to the Egret II Mini vol.2 pack with Night Striker, have that and the USB Cyber Stick ordered as my Christmas present to myself this year ;)

I wonder if Taito has bigger plans involving M2 and Night Striker though, this article from August seems to imply that they do. I'd love to see something like a package of Chase HQ, SCI, and Night Striker with typical M2 quality.
Whatever they give me I'd be happy to take. I only discovered Night Striker recently through the Sega CD version and got hooked on it in spite of that port's deficiencies. It would be great to have the arcade version with the arrange soundtrack. Speaking of Taito and rail shooters, I forgot we're still missing Aqua Jack. Need the whole Ninja Warriors Cinematic Universe on the latest consoles.

I'm still flailing and failing at Burning Force and it's got to be the most busy, intense rail shooter I've ever played, and I haven't even reached the halfway mark. I only dabbled with the MD port but I don't remember it being like this.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Unknown for me, looks good.
found btw : STG Weekly #162: Daioh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4s-c46zmFY
Marc

Post by Marc »

This is neat, but from memory, Shienryu almost seems like an extra version than a sequel?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Someone in north Seattle must be a fan of this game, because I stumbled across it at a restaurant. It was the first time I had ever seen it and I was blown away by the 6-button gameplay. And impressed to find out that the 6-button version was the harder-to-find one.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Man, the quantum leap from Strike Gunner to this game is astronomical. No news, I know, but seeing them released back-to-back in short order, it's like a meditation on human endeavour itself. :lol: Well done UNDEAD_TAMA and co! (still love S.T.G. :cool:)

I'm really impressed with the 6-button rev. It's a total sugar rush, as expected; but it also feels surprisingly balanced. Maybe upped Rank? st2 turret corridor seems more heated than the 2b rev's, not that you don't have exactly what the buggers are askin' for. Image Guessing that loop PCEFX mentioned won't be too friendly. :mrgreen: The fast VS strong layout perfectly suits the classic zako/heavy interplay; shredding swarms and sledgehammering priority targets is impressively seamless. I love the bombs being just as dynamic as the shots; the spectrum of emergency defense and targeted demolition recalling the characteristically strong contrasts of Psikyo.

I'm so happy they included it. It's both a killer historical one-off, and a perfect maximal companion for the 2b rev's augustly Seibu-informed Tatsujinesque.
Marc wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:11 pmThis is neat, but from memory, Shienryu almost seems like an extra version than a sequel?
Yep! Shienryu is a quasi-remake by much of the same key staff, at Warashi. (ta roushimsx) I'm trying to think of an equivalent example, but none really come to mind. Mad Shark maybe. :lol:
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The 2nd loop of American Sammy's Daioh variant pcb has enemy bullets that move faster than your fightercraft does. The only way to see the ending screen/staff end credits is to play a co-op two player session with credit feeding -- it's so much harder on the 2nd loop compared to playing it on the 1st loop session, indeed. It's a given alrighty.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

*Looking at the RoboCop and Ultraman figures on the box where Mazinger Z is*
Hamster, RoboCop and Ultraman?, Is Hideki hinting upcoming releases on Arcade Archives or is just coincidence? (Data East's RoboCop, Banpresto's Ultraman games)
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
BIL

Post by BIL »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:13 am The 2nd loop of American Sammy's Daioh variant pcb has enemy bullets that move faster than your fightercraft does. The only way to see the ending screen/staff end credits is to play a co-op two player session with credit feeding -- it's so much harder on the 2nd loop compared to playing it on the 1st loop session, indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
It seems Rank control is critical in both JP and US revisions - I know our absent friend saucykobold has 2ALLed the US and I believe JP versions, but of course, saucy is no ordinary fellow. :mrgreen: I've had some promising results following his advice, and keeping both shot power + ship speed moderate, while also letting the tempting MAX P items float offscreen; according to saucy, letting them escape will cause the Rank to cool off significantly.

Which is a really neat secondary use for the item; as tempting as the Shield might be, perhaps it's better to pass it up? I'm only just hitting the JP 1ALL, been thoroughly enjoying myself. Seems to have just the right balance of riveting pressure and improv room.

Yet another killer year for ACA. Daioh, Raiga, Mazinger Z, Darius II, Phelios, Tank Force and Cosmo Gang, plus definitive HD releases of Grobda, Galaga, Bosconian and King & Balloon, a raft of other arcade goodies in TGM2, Wild Fang, New Zealand Story, Jigoku Meguri, Burning Force, Splatterhouse, Rolling Thunder 2, and a real dark horse in Senjyo (seriously excellent caravan game). There's a good dozen more I'd mention too, like Finest Hour, Runark, and Majuu no Oukoku; too idiosyncratic to recommend offhand, but exactly the offbeat ultra-stylish hardcore I enjoying grappling with... even Rezon and Mad Shark proved surprisingly likeable riffs on IREM and Seibu standards, with the obligatory caveat to mute the former and blast R-Type II's OST. :cool: And in a year with definitive Hellfire, Zero Wing, and Demon's World from M2!

I've always taken the approach that a fatass backlog is a beautiful thing, when it's a hobby you'll be in until you fall off your chair. Image I wonder how they'll outdo themselves for Christmas, which already has M2's DOJ inbound. Between these two, it's been an amazing decade-odd for home arcade releases.
Sturmvogel Prime wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:24 amData East's RoboCop
Speaking of Christmas presents :o Man, that'd be amazing. Isn't there a new Robocop game out now too, Rogue City or summat? Honestly I'd just love to see more DECO in general. I hope M2's project gets off the ground someday, the world needs more PsychoNics Oscar ports.
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Just as a nod to Daiou's release, I long ago cooked up provisional names for the soundtrack. I've updated my namings a bit...

Attract mode: "Invasion's Doom"
St. 1: "Beyond the Winds"
Game over: "Nothing More"
Name entry: "Respectful Record"
Boss: "Inner Demons"
Stage clear: "Enemy Down!" (I have a feeling the Switch description took that from the Japanese flyer; I decided I might as well incorporate it)
St. 2: "Shriveled Soul"
St. 3: "Past the Limits of Fear"
St. 4: "Outer Edge"
St. 5: "Pursuit"
St. 6: "Unearthly Power"
Final boss: "Precipice"
Ending: "Overlord's Downfall"
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

I'd normally be skeptical towards a hint towards of Data East Robocop. But considering there's a brand new Robocop game, anything seems possible now.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Daioh's rank control feels like a meme, it's hilarious how it works. Reminds me that I promised the other day to look into some details about its mechanics, but I never got the chance.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

mmm, why i can't unlock the 500.000 Points trophy in Aero Fighters 2 // Sonic Wings 2 ??? :?
Is a bug?
EDIT: the 100.000 and 300.000 worked, but not the last one :cry:
Last edited by Lemnear on Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Sturmvogel Prime wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:24 am Hamster, RoboCop and Ultraman?, Is Hideki hinting upcoming releases on Arcade Archives or is just coincidence? (Data East's RoboCop, Banpresto's Ultraman games)
Nope, its no hidden message. The pic is from video of him leaving platnium, things in the box is stuff he had at office/desk, nothing else.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Konami's Shao-Lin's Road is this week's release.
https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/202311080047/
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
BIL

A.K. SHAOLIN

Post by BIL »

Or AkeAka Shaolin, even! Damn son. Image We were just discussing vintage mid-80s Konami in OT. Time to whoop some fuckin ass Image Image
Last edited by BIL on Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Another game with Definitely-Not-Stolen-Jackie-Chan as the protagonist.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Was hard times in Tokyo, ain't nobody had that Wheels on Meals scratch like down Osaka way 3; :lol:
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Hurrah! Another big Konami want off the list! I know Yie Ar Kung Fu 2 is on MSX, it's more of a beater than a Vs Fighter like the first, but I always thought of Shao-Lin's Road as the arcade sequel. Or maybe the protagonist just dresses the same.
Marc

Post by Marc »

My only familiarity with this comes from the Speccy port back in the day - worth a punt?
Here's hoping for Mikie soon.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

I've been a long-time fan. It's got very tight and snappy gameplay with responsive controls. Like a cross between Kung Fu Master and Bubble Bobble.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh nice, they included Kicker. :o Dunno why I'm surprised, Konami is one of the most consistent ACA licensors for multi-region releases (Jaleco also comes to mind).
Marc wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:33 pm My only familiarity with this comes from the Speccy port back in the day - worth a punt?
Here's hoping for Mikie soon.
Yeah I'd give it a go for sure! A model of coinop immediacy and timelessness; an instant concept, deftly executed. Bad slags are running and jumping around the place, twat 'em real good while snaffling the odd falling powerup. :cool: True to first-rate form, the input response and collision remain impressively sharp. The flying kick feels great, both as a running attack and a deft counter to would-be jump-ins. Image

Shoulda stayed down fool! (`w´メ)
Lovable sprites and scenery, too! Integral to the bubblewrap-satisfying action. Varmints of various schools do their villainous best, only to be sent flying offscreen. Whoop ass, simple as Image

I particularly like the dedicated jump button; I could easily imagine a game of this era having [punch] and [kick], with diagonals to jump. Much nicer having just the one surgically-precise attack, paired with an equally crisp hop. It's very much like Green Beret in that regard (and thus Rygar, Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden et al).
AGermanArtist wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:01 pm I've been a long-time fan. It's got very tight and snappy gameplay with responsive controls. Like a cross between Kung Fu Master and Bubble Bobble.
Exactly the comparison I'd had in mind; the compact intensity of BB, with the twatting snap of KFM. Mappy's another that comes to mind; again, the player relying not on cunning traps to foil the horde, but a selection of well-aimed shoes. :mrgreen:

I can't help thinking of SonSon and Konami's own Mr. Goemon, too, with the tiered environments. It's a wonderful (and surprisingly uncommon) midpoint between earlier 80s "arena platformers," and the dedicated scrolling combat of KFM/Ninja Warriors/Bad Dudes et al.
I know Yie Ar Kung Fu 2 is on MSX, it's more of a beater than a Vs Fighter like the first, but I always thought of Shao-Lin's Road as the arcade sequel. Or maybe the protagonist just dresses the same.
I'd not played this for years (last time via the very nice PS1 port). Coming back, I realise I'd always assumed it was a Yie Ar sequel. Totally the same vibe, at any rate, with that same paralytic Player Out animation. Just with less nut shots. :lol:

EDIT: Oh hey, Hamster seem to think so too! Wonder if that's meant to be Star - OG first lady of FTG! - getting the boot in stage 2, haha.

AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Nice to have confirmed. Would go for Konami GT. RF2 ROM inclusion would be a nice bonus.
Could listen to the synth based stylings of the input initials screen all day. What a beaut.
Last edited by AGermanArtist on Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Only ever played it on the Konami compilation for the DS and found it compelling and fun. Excited to see it in not-tiny-ness.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Marc wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:33 pm My only familiarity with this comes from the Speccy port back in the day - worth a punt?
All the ports are poopoo, as was pretty much the norm back in the day .. too bad. Even the C64 port, which had a decent chance at replicating the arcade experience blew it by making the player character slow as molasses. The enemies are still fast somehow, though. lol
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

What’s this about Shaolin? :shock:
Crane, Tiger or Eagle’s Claw…or Chin-style? :P
Show your allegiance: Shaolin or Wu Tang?

As is oft exclaimed with great braggadocio before tests of skill and might in Kung Fu movies:
“My Kung Fu is the greatest!”

Huge fan of Shaw Brothers movies: just rewatched 8 Diagram Pole Fighter the other night. The fights are where the fireworks occur in Kung Fu movies — of course — but I enjoy the training sequences as much if not more so.

Shaolin’s Road looks fun. And you guys are indicating controls are snappy. Good deal!
Spoiler
One question: What’s it like when the bird starts dropping boulders on you? In watching some gameplay looks like pace is already frenetic enough — even from the start — without that.
Sima Tuna wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:47 am Another game with Definitely-Not-Stolen-Jackie-Chan as the protagonist.
It might be Bruce Lee.

Not sure about developers intentions for Wanpyou here but as big as Jackie Chan was by/before mid 80’s in Chinese Hong Kong martial arts movies the legacy of Bruce Lee would’ve been bigger — even by mid 80’s Bruce Lee was experiencing retro fandom as a legendary icon of badassness and individuality; there’s always been the Bruce Lee mystique.

Personally I’d rather watch a Gordon Liu movie than Bruce Lee; however the sample size disparity is huge: not many Bruce Lee movies vs many many Gordon Liu.

Edit/addition # of Bruce Lee movies with him as a martial arts movie main or major character < # of martial arts movies with Gordon Liu as a main or major character
Fairly certain that great deal of Bruce Lee’s filmography consists of minor character parts in a variety of film types; he didn’t make a Kung Fu movie until Big Boss in 1971 and died just 2 years later.

Everyone loves the signature thumb nose wipe by Bruce Lee: “come on motherfucker, I’m gonna kick your weak ass!…because my Kung Fu is the greatest!:mrgreen:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I love this game. I read that this game had an odd method of collision detection that wasn't emulated correctly until recently.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

BrianC wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:33 pm I read that this game had an odd method of collision detection that wasn't emulated correctly until recently.
Where did you read that? I'd love to compare and contrast vs. the DS version.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

SavagePencil wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:09 am
BrianC wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:33 pm I read that this game had an odd method of collision detection that wasn't emulated correctly until recently.
Where did you read that? I'd love to compare and contrast vs. the DS version.
Emails about the progress of the Jotego core for Kicker/Shao Lin's Road for MiSTer and Analogue Pocket.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

Lemnear wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:01 am mmm, why i can't unlock the 500.000 Points trophy in Aero Fighters 2 // Sonic Wings 2 ??? :?
Is a bug?
EDIT: the 100.000 and 300.000 worked, but not the last one :cry:
No...really, i have higher scores, but the trophy didn't appear :\
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Just picked up Daioh. Cool to see the first stage boss from Gekioh in there.

It's really blatantly ripping off Truxton.

Thought it was funny how they went all out ripping off Truxton on stage four. So much so that they even copied the enemies, their movements, and the backgrounds.

Thought the levels were decent but the bosses are all kind of the same. They all have that same alternating Contra spread shot. The second loop doesn't seem all that bad.