From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Blinge

Re: From Software 'n such

Post by Blinge »

This is all nuts for me to read hahah-
for me Bayo or any character action game is a much bigger challenge than like, any souls.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Blinge wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:51 pm playing no shield.. ahh roo. It's really not a challenge run haha.

alas- using dodges and abusing iframes became (more or less) the only way to play Souls as the series went on, sadly.
To play optimally yes but you can always go with sub-optimal things.
Blinge wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:44 am This is all nuts for me to read hahah-
for me Bayo or any character action game is a much bigger challenge than like, any souls.
It's just that it's his first experience with Souls I think. A lot of takes that will change with more reps.
Volteccer_Jack

Post by Volteccer_Jack »

Heater vs Crest Shields
The thing is that Heater both weighs slightly less and has slightly more stability, and has the special faster parry, while having comparable resistance values. It's very close though and for me at least, shield choice is heavily dependent on which upgrade materials I have to spare. The nice thing about DS1 is there's no shortage of strong shields. Even the small shields are pretty great just because parry is so godly :lol:
Also the Eagle Shield doesn't block 100% of phys damage. you're always gonna take chip.
I find that very annoying.
It blocks 0% of emotional damage.
"Don't worry about quality. I've got quantity!"
guigui

Post by guigui »

Hum, my last experience with From's games is a run of Bloodborne some 4 years ago, did all souls game before that.
Now I just launched Elden Ring, totally blind with that game. Is my life over ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Steamflogger Boss

guigui wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:17 pm Hum, my last experience with From's games is a run of Bloodborne some 4 years ago, did all souls game before that.
Yeah. Probably for like 100 or so hours if you are playing without checking anything online and are trying to do a lot.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

To play optimally yes but you can always go with sub-optimal things.
yeah i guess but then i just remembered a certain pontiff who utterly loses to shields.

Also I guess i've never tried to use a fat build really.. in 2 or 3 so maybe it's fine and i'm just regurgitating YT-comment-tier opinions about the games.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I'd be down to see you run a thicc build of the sequels. You'd be able to figure it out if anyone can. I'm currently watching your DS1 run and it's both hilarious and impressive!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I recommend looking into that ninja flip thing for your SL1 run. It makes the game's toughest bosses a lot easier, but in a fun way.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:09 pm I'm currently watching your DS1 run and it's both hilarious and impressive!
Aww thanks man. means a lot.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Steamflogger Boss wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:02 am
guigui wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:17 pm Hum, my last experience with From's games is a run of Bloodborne some 4 years ago, did all souls game before that.
Yeah. Probably for like 100 or so hours if you are playing without checking anything online and are trying to do a lot.
Alright. Currently roaming Lands Between here and there with no real purpose. For now this is pretty nice, started as wretched and hit things with club.
Just checked some little infos about level soft cap on HP, stamina, equip load to not mess everything up when leveling.

But then I wanted to try a little multiplayer as helper -- always learn a lot of things this way -- and gosh : PS Plus subscription required !!?? Why is this, lemme play the game with the $50 I already paid for it full price you idiots.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I always thought it was a little strange that there's so many burning embers floating throughout the undead burg for atmospheric effect, like do they actually travel that far or burn for that long? This is because I knew nothing about how far burning embers can travel, and it's literally several kilometers. I've learned this because
Don't click this, it's horrifying.
The city of Kelowna in British Columbia, which has a large river between it and what is currently a major forest fire, has now caught fire due to embers travelling across the lake.
Lander

Post by Lander »

guigui wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:06 pmBut then I wanted to try a little multiplayer as helper -- always learn a lot of things this way -- and gosh : PS Plus subscription required !!?? Why is this, lemme play the game with the $50 I already paid for it full price you idiots.
Sounds like somebody didn't pay their Jolly Cooperation Tithe :|

Shit's been a total racket since the Xbox 360. All the more reason to go PC and trade off rent-seeking platform holders for mandatory configuration hell on every install instead Image
guigui

Post by guigui »

^ I like your tone ^^

I did play all the coop I wanted, for free and on consoles, on all DS and Bloodborne, so was totally shocked to see I had to pay now.
Weirdly enough, I now find that Nintendo online paid membership is the best, because of the "family" system, where you actually pay something like 8€ a year for the subscription.

Also about Elden Ring : still having a nice time wandering about. I kinda regret the most mysterious atmosphere of all other games. I did not realize it at first, but I dont like to be told the whole details of a sidequest like in traditionnal JRPG games.

And here I sometimes feel like a child : "go defeat the boss in this castle over here, to get this rune item, which grants access to this NPC, blah blah blah..."

Come on From, gimme Demons' Souls interactions again : "Ouuuh, you cannot be granted a visit to Fingers without a rune, but Godrick loves this very peculiar great item, keh hee he he heeeeee"
Austin

Post by Austin »

The world is so freaking huge though that I think it's kind of necessary, unless you want to wander around aimlessly for 200 hours. Even still, there aren't a lot of great hints given. It's still very much vague like a From game for the most part.

I really want to do another playthrough of Elden Ring and just reinstalled it on PC. But I was trying to hold off and do it when the DLC hits, but who knows when that'll be. Might as well knock another one out when I get some time. First playthrough was over 100 hours, while my fourth was just shy of 30. Slowly getting the time down run by run, ha. Even when you know what you are doing, the time investment is still a lot more than a typical Souls game.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Austin wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:31 pm The world is so freaking huge though that I think it's kind of necessary, unless you want to wander around aimlessly for 200 hours. Even still, there aren't a lot of great hints given. It's still very much vague like a From game for the most part.
Sure it needs more clarification than other games, and I find the map pretty well done. Quests are still a bit too simple and guided for my usual tastes : "go conquer my castle back, go deliver this letter to NPC, find NPC for me", all of this asked by people who seem pretty smart and sane.
I miss that Twin Peaks mood where everyone is burnt and crazy.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Yeah you try and play Elden Ring without looking up guides and you're gonna miss maybe 50% of sidequests. Or a significant number, at least.
I assume you haven't played much of the game yet guigui. there's...plenty of burnt and crazy.

A lot of it involves people just fucking off to a different location without telling you, and if you don't happen to wander back to that particular part of the enormous open world, you're gonna miss it. The interactions in Limgrave are not representative of the NPC quests as a whole.

Anway, DS1. Hey Roo.. check out this Bed of Bullshit fight/method nyeheheh
https://youtu.be/KeGdzjuLskQ?list=PLrkm ... BHhHN_9RbH
Volteccer_Jack

Post by Volteccer_Jack »

try and play Elden Ring without looking up guides
When I first started ER I tried to play without a guide and got stuck because I couldn't find any upgrade materials but I had progressed far enough that my +2 weapon was doing scratch damage to enemies. Then I restarted, got a +7 weapon in the first ten minutes and broke the game in the opposite direction.

Oh and I also spent hours trying to complete a sidequest that was currently impossible because From released it in an unfinished state. It's mildly infuriating to me that ER was so commercially successful.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

Volteccer_Jack wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:33 am
try and play Elden Ring without looking up guides
Oh and I also spent hours trying to complete a sidequest that was currently impossible because From released it in an unfinished state. It's mildly infuriating to me that ER was so commercially successful.
What is the unfinished Quest? :?:
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

i mean.. no guide - the game will still lead you to stormveil in its... way. or Castle morne..
..and you can upgrade past +2 in those places.

no idea where you went
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Fuck. The rot bitch is finally down on my melee build.

no ashes, no bloodhound iframe move. no summon.

what I ended up using as an equalizer however, was respeccing back to blasphemous blade. and using its weapon art to get her into a knockdown loop when the opportunity presented itself. (she can dodge the attack)

Is it a bit cheesy? maybe.
Do I care? no. fuck that boss.
Volteccer_Jack

Post by Volteccer_Jack »

What is the unfinished Quest?
It was Nepheli. On release the questline stopped abruptly at a certain point and wouldn't progress even though Nepheli told you there was more to do. Then From patched it to progress but it was bugged to hell so I still couldn't finish it. There were apparently three or four other questlines with similar problems too. They probably work correctly by now but I have no interest in finding out.
i mean.. no guide - the game will still lead you to stormveil in its... way. or Castle morne..
Stormveil was the first thing I did besides a couple random caves near the start, I have no memory of what or where Castle Morne is. Part of the problem was that even when I found the high-tier upgrade materials I couldn't use them, because you need to first use the low-tier materials which I didn't have. It wasn't until I started looking stuff up that I found out there are mines in certain places and they're where you're supposed to get upgrade materials, but by then I was looking stuff up so I knew to just kill Patches and take his +7 spear the moment you start the game.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Blinge wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:17 am I assume you haven't played much of the game yet guigui. there's...plenty of burnt and crazy.

A lot of it involves people just fucking off to a different location without telling you, and if you don't happen to wander back to that particular part of the enormous open world, you're gonna miss it. The interactions in Limgrave are not representative of the NPC quests as a whole.
Glad to know the crazy's are here somewhere. Also a bit annoyed by the moving-with-no-reason NPC, It was fun once with Onion in DS, but not all the time ?
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

yeah or you can get a bunch of low upgrade stones from the merchants who are scattered around everywhere.
it would be dishonest of me to say finding the mines in Limgrave isn't a great foundation though. I just stumbled across it when i was exploring everything like a full on autist.

Lol gui you don't like that huh? but weren't you complaining about simple quests?

Edit: grammar mistake changed meaning
Last edited by Blinge on Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Blinge wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:42 pm Lol gui you don't like that huh? but weren't you complaining about simple quests?
There should be a right middle between overguided quest, and complete nonsense quest where people move to random position without giving you a single hint. Pretty sure From found this right middle, and I'll find it in the game too.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Steamflogger Boss

Blinge wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:52 pm Fuck. The rot bitch is finally down on my melee build.

no ashes, no bloodhound iframe move. no summon.

what I ended up using as an equalizer however, was respeccing back to blasphemous blade. and using its weapon art to get her into a knockdown loop when the opportunity presented itself. (she can dodge the attack)

Is it a bit cheesy? maybe.
Do I care? no. fuck that boss.
Well done mate. I've seen some absolutely hilarious Malenia strategies. ER is a very funny game with I think even more broken/easy mode options than any of these style games by From before it.
Volteccer_Jack wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:01 pm
What is the unfinished Quest?
It was Nepheli. On release the questline stopped abruptly at a certain point and wouldn't progress even though Nepheli told you there was more to do. Then From patched it to progress but it was bugged to hell so I still couldn't finish it. There were apparently three or four other questlines with similar problems too. They probably work correctly by now but I have no interest in finding out.
Stormveil was the first thing I did besides a couple random caves near the start, I have no memory of what or where Castle Morne is. Part of the problem was that even when I found the high-tier upgrade materials I couldn't use them, because you need to first use the low-tier materials which I didn't have. It wasn't until I started looking stuff up that I found out there are mines in certain places and they're where you're supposed to get upgrade materials, but by then I was looking stuff up so I knew to just kill Patches and take his +7 spear the moment you start the game.
Yeah I played right at release as well and several items were missing too. One quest I completed and the chest you are then supposed to get some items out of was simply empty. I was annoyed with that one in particular because I wanted to cosplay damn it. :lol:
Steamflogger Boss

Oh baby. Two people I know that have played a lot of the Souls stuff including base DS2 are playing DS2 again but will both be playing the DLC for the first time. I've got my popcorn out.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

DS2 DLC is the best content in DS2, suck it haters.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

that is an incredibly lukewarm take lmao
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

lol, yeah, it's about as spicy as vanilla ice cream

It's the same thing Sumez told me about DS2, the main game has its ups and downs and is very interesting even if it's not quite as tight in terms of design as DeS or DS1, but the DLC is supposedly extremely good and better than the main game, worth the price of admission, etc. I haven't quite finished my fun with DS1 yet to move onto 2. :)