Limited Run Games - New Physical Releases

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
jehu

Post by jehu »

Limited Run Games has their E3-parallel LRG3 event going on, and there've been some solid announcements.

DFK and Galuda 2 are getting physicals on Switch.
Konami Arcade Classics is getting a physical.

And, probably biggest of all, Rendering Ranger R2 is getting a release on modern platforms and a SNES release, too.
pablumatic

Re: Limited Run Games - New Physical Releases

Post by pablumatic »

All good news. Especially Rendering Ranger. Never thought that'd show up again.
subcons

Post by subcons »

Very nice. Was wondering when the Cave physical stuff would eventually drop.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Hopefully they do another run of Mushi. Those are already being scalped for a crazy price and I don't think they even shipped yet.
subcons

Post by subcons »

Creamy Goodness wrote:Hopefully they do another run of Mushi. Those are already being scalped for a crazy price and I don't think they even shipped yet.
They haven’t. I’m almost caught up on limited run physicals and Mushi is one of the last ones I’ve been waiting on. Not like I’ll be caught up on my backlog to revisit it by the time it drops anyways…
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

Creamy Goodness wrote:Hopefully they do another run of Mushi. Those are already being scalped for a crazy price and I don't think they even shipped yet.
They never do re-runs unfortunately. It would ruin their whole FOMO business model.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

DoomsDave wrote:
They never do re-runs unfortunately. It would ruin their whole FOMO business model.
Yeah I figured it's wishful thinking. I hate giving these companies money because I really do not like their business practices, but for these I am makong an exception.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

DoomsDave wrote: They never do re-runs unfortunately. It would ruin their whole FOMO business model.
They probably couldn't find a way to re-run something like Mushi.
But they'll do new runs for different platforms, as well as any excuse they can find to push a new version of a previously succesful release. Like, they just announced a new Night Trap release of all things.
Other publishers could do physical runs of games like Mushi, too, I don't think LRG have an exclusive right to it. Plenty of their releases have had separate Japanese physical releases either before or later.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Will snag the Konami collection and the Cave games. Can't complain, but I wish they'd do a Mahou Daisakusen release - the only ShotTriggers game to not get a physical release, and LRG did release Battle Garegga and Dangun Feveron. Still possible, they only announced Feveron (the 2nd game in the ShotTriggers line) in April of 2021, so maybe it stands a chance.
subcons

Post by subcons »

hamfighterx wrote:Can't complain, but I wish they'd do a Mahou Daisakusen release - the only ShotTriggers game to not get a physical release, and LRG did release Battle Garegga and Dangun Feveron. Still possible, they only announced Feveron (the 2nd game in the ShotTriggers line) in April of 2021, so maybe it stands a chance.
I’d like to see the same, but I’m thinking because that and Ketsui were never localized for western audiences, we likely won’t see it happen unfortunately.
miwa

Post by miwa »

subcons wrote:I’d like to see the same, but I’m thinking because that and Ketsui were never localized for western audiences, we likely won’t see it happen unfortunately.
Ketsui did receive a western localisation but Mahou Daisakusen didn't, therefore I also think it's very unlikely it'll get a physical release.
subcons

Post by subcons »

miwa wrote:Ketsui did receive a western localisation but Mahou Daisakusen didn't, therefore I also think it's very unlikely it'll get a physical release.
Oh, that’s right. It was localized digital only. I was expecting a physical release when the vinyl dropped instead.
MidnightWolf

Post by MidnightWolf »

I just lost all respect for Limited Run.

https://limitedrungames.com/products/sw ... collection

Bill & Ted is widely regarded as one of the worst NES games ever released, and i can not imagine anybody begging for a re-release of this thing.

Check the reviews of the time here:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/nes/bill ... e/mobyrank

Of course, collectors will still buy this game just to avoid a gap on their shelf. I just feel Limited Run games will release any trash going forward because they know somebody will pay top price due to FOMO.

Are they going to do E.T on the Atari 2600 next? :lol:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yeah, what's next. Metal Slug 2 on Exa?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Bill and Ted NES isn't a good game, but it actually has a few things going for it. Graphics aren't bad and dialog is well done and true to the movies. Too bad it's basically fetch quest the game. The GB game, on the other hand, is actually very fun to play.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

BrianC wrote:The GB game, on the other hand, is actually very fun to play.
I was about to say. The GB game is a delightfully speedy take on Manic Miner style games. Never played the NES one.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

This is great news. I held off on DFK waiting for the physical. Surprised it took this long after Mushi hit right away, TBH. Hopefully ESPGaluda II is in the works as well.
Creamy Goodness wrote:
DoomsDave wrote:
Yeah I figured it's wishful thinking. I hate giving these companies money because I really do not like their business practices, but for these I am makong an exception.
"Why does this shady 'Limited Run' group appear to be limiting their runs? What are they hiding?"

Come on guys. The small print runs limit their risk exposure. If you think it's a scam to bleed customers, tell that to Dispatch Games or any of the others following this business model who struggle to stay afloat. If NIS or Axys or Devolver wanted to pick these games up for retail they would have, but they passed because the numbers weren't there. Absolutely nobody is putting a gun to these developers' heads to work with them.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

MidnightWolf wrote:I just feel Limited Run games will release any trash going forward because they know somebody will pay top price due to FOMO.
Going forward? They've released any trash for years now. Convincing people to pay $40-$50 for physical copies of bargain basement indie games that few people care about has pretty much always been a major part of their business model. But sometimes they really do fill that sweet spot of a niche title that does have real demand from a small group, but would have a really hard time for a small company to self-publish or get a bigger publisher to produce. The LiveWire Cave ports are a good example of that.

Personally, I don't really care if they publish crap that I don't want to buy, games that are only purchased by resellers and "collectors" thinking they'll make a buck off selling these RARE games for which there is extremely limited demand. Beanie Baby syndrome. But who am I to complain about other people buying dumb stuff? I'll just stick to ordering the LRG releases that are worth it - and to be fair, there are plenty of those too.
Sengoku Strider wrote: Hopefully ESPGaluda II is in the works as well.
It is, it was announced yesterday along with Daifukkatsu.
Sengoku Strider wrote:If NIS or Axys or Devolver wanted to pick these games up for retail they would have, but they passed because the numbers weren't there. Absolutely nobody is putting a gun to these developers' heads to work with them.
Yup, it's actually a very pro-developer service that LRG is providing: they're experts in navigating the publishing, production, and fulfillment process for a small print run, because they do it constantly. A small developer doesn't have the resources to manage that process on their own even if they wanted to. They're more of a business services middleman than anything, IMO. And that enables devs to release physical games to their hardcore fanbase.

And in LRG's defense, after some growing pains they've settled into a pretty good system where the vast majority of the time they have a decently long open pre-order period, so it's not particularly hard to get the games. It's kinda on you if you decided not to order Mushihimesame for the month or so it was available for order, it was always obvious that the price is gonna go up on the second hand market if you don't place your order during the reasonable window.

LRG also has a proven track record of releasing what they said they would without crazy issues (at least if you are in the US, I'm not familiar with how well they handle orders from outside of the US). Yes, there's usually a 6-8 month lead time unless they specifically say it's available sooner, but they hit that very consistently and have proven their reliability over hundreds of releases. I sure as hell trust them more than I'd trust Dispatch Games and similar.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

It's actually the generous pre-order windows that eventually get me to bite, as there is little stress and plenty of time to see if I can work a title into my budget. The "they're scammer!" sentiment is misplaced and just ignorant as was so well-detailed above.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

hamfighterx wrote:
Sengoku Strider wrote: Hopefully ESPGaluda II is in the works as well.
It is, it was announced yesterday along with Daifukkatsu.
Durr, 2nd sentence in the OP. My bad.

The actual video is amazing BTW. The Mega 64 guys did it in the style of a Sega CD/3DO FMV game like Crime Patrol or Corpse Killer, complete with loading pauses and corny acting. They absolutely nailed it:

https://youtu.be/Srqc6DQH6M8

This is the full list from LRG's website, for anyone interested:
Spoiler
THE FULL LIST OF ANNOUNCED LIMITED RUN GAMES (IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER):

A Boy and His Blob: Retro Collection (PS4, PS5, Switch, Xbox)
American Hero (PS4, PS5, Switch, PC)
BATS: Bloodsucker Anti-Terror Squad (PS4, Switch)
Bill & Ted's Excellent Retro Collection (PS4, PS5, Switch, Xbox)
Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition (PS4, PS5, Switch)
Blossom Tales 2 (Switch)
D (PC, 3DO)
Deathwish Enforcers (PS4, PS5, Switch)
DoDonPachi Resurrection (Switch)
DOOM 64 (Xbox)
DOOM Eternal (Switch)
Enclave (PS4, PS5, Switch)
ESPGaluda II (Switch)
Frogun (PS4, PS5, Switch)
Garden Story (Switch)
Glover (N64)
Go Go Kokopolo! (3DS)
Konami Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection (Switch. PS4)
LUNARK (PS4, PS5, Switch, Xbox)
Night Trap (PS5)
Plumbers Don't Wear Ties: Definitive Edition (PS4, PS5, Switch, Xbox)
PowerSlave: Exhumed (PS4, Switch, Xbox)
Prize Fighter: Remastered (PS4, PS5)
Rendering Ranger R-2 (PS4, PS5, Switch, SNES)
River City Girls 2 (PS4, PS5, Switch, Xbox)
Shadowrun Trilogy (PS4, Xbox, Switch)
Shantae (PS4, PS5)
Skelattack (PS4, Switch)
Spidersaurs (PS4, PS5, Switch, Xbox)
STAR WARS: Knights of the Old Republic II (Switch, PC)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge (PS4, Switch, Xbox)
Tetris® Effect: Connected (Switch, PS4, Xbox)
Undermine (PS4, Switch)
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Anybody interested in the LRG release of the Konami Arcade Classics (mostly shooter) collection, you might want to check your email if you've ordered other LRG Konami releases. Today I got an email coupon for a 5% discount on upcoming LRG/Konami games: the Arcade Classics compilation or Skelattack. That's not much, but hey, it's something.

FWIW, I bought the Switch Castlevania collection and have the Contra collection ordered.
davyK

Post by davyK »

My copy of Mushi hasn't arrived yet so yeah.

I fancy getting DFK for Switch as the 360 port (PAL) I have doesn't have BL Arrange / KetsuiPachi. Would be nice to own that physically. Will pick up Switch Tetris Effect too.
cvaniafan

Post by cvaniafan »

Hi guys

I currently have a problem with Limited Run Games that is starting to really worry me.

A little over a year ago I ordered and paid on their pre-order day 1x Espgaluda II arcade peripheral, this product:

And as recently I saw that some sellers were putting theirs up for sale on eBay, while I still had not received mine nor any news, I sent them a message asking when my item would be shipped.
A guy at LRG named "Paul" replied within a few days that my item was about to be shipped, then shipped.

And past Thursday, I received an envelope from Limited Run Games containing the game Valis II Collection NSW, an item that I never ordered from them, but attached with an invoice describing the item as being the Espgaluda II arcade peripheral that I had ordered from them in August 2022 ! But since last Thursday, I contacted that "Paul" and also their Customer support online to explain the issue, and I have received no response, they stopped responding.

Any advice ? Are they reliable in responding and compensating their customers ?
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

cvaniafan wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:15 pm I I received an envelope from Limited Run Games containing the game Valis II Collection NSW, an item that I never ordered from them, but attached with an invoice describing the item as being the Espgaluda II arcade peripheral that I had ordered from them in August 2022 ! But since last Thursday, I contacted that "Paul" and also their Customer support online to explain the issue, and I have received no response, they stopped responding.

While their fulfillment times and communication have been awful for years, customer service was always solid. However in recent months, maybe for about a year, that has also declined. My advice is to document EVERYTHING. Take pictures or even video. Hit their social media. You are more likely to get a response that way than through their support channels. I’m not sure if they have a presence here, but I have seen a few LRG staff post on ResetERA. It might be worth posting in an LRG thread there if you have an account.
Bar81

Post by Bar81 »

MidnightWolf wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:37 pm I just lost all respect for Limited Run.

https://limitedrungames.com/products/sw ... collection

Bill & Ted is widely regarded as one of the worst NES games ever released, and i can not imagine anybody begging for a re-release of this thing.

Check the reviews of the time here:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/nes/bill ... e/mobyrank

Of course, collectors will still buy this game just to avoid a gap on their shelf. I just feel Limited Run games will release any trash going forward because they know somebody will pay top price due to FOMO.

Are they going to do E.T on the Atari 2600 next? :lol:
I'm not sure why you're blaming Limited Run for realizing there are a large number of morons out there who will piss away their money on anything. They're just filling (stupid) consumer demand. No one is making anyone buy any of the garbage. And if a person can't have a gap on their shelf, that's more a personal problem than a Limited Run problem. Therapy is probably much cheaper than buying all the limited run releases. I don't buy any of their shit and the world has continued to revolve. This whole world has a problem with accountability for your actions, if you're an idiot it's a you problem.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

cvaniafan wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:15 pm Hi guys

I currently have a problem with Limited Run Games that is starting to really worry me.

A little over a year ago I ordered and paid on their pre-order day 1x Espgaluda II arcade peripheral, this product:

And as recently I saw that some sellers were putting theirs up for sale on eBay, while I still had not received mine nor any news, I sent them a message asking when my item would be shipped.
A guy at LRG named "Paul" replied within a few days that my item was about to be shipped, then shipped.

And past Thursday, I received an envelope from Limited Run Games containing the game Valis II Collection NSW, an item that I never ordered from them, but attached with an invoice describing the item as being the Espgaluda II arcade peripheral that I had ordered from them in August 2022 ! But since last Thursday, I contacted that "Paul" and also their Customer support online to explain the issue, and I have received no response, they stopped responding.

My suggestion? Call them out on twitter, they have a fairly public social media presence, both from the main account and people who work for them.

I called them out a couple years back for their mediocre Ground Zero Texas LE(included a """"script"""" that was the size of my palm) and the grammar-laden Caladrius Blaze release(blatant inaccurately character bios) and they responded.

Said nothing of value, but they responded, though this is way more serious.

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/
https://twitter.com/limitedrundoug
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I really didn't have an opinion on Limited Run. I bought their Black Bird release because I wanted the poster, and while it took a year (or more) and the poster was packed so it was very creased and kind of looks like shit because of it, it's pretty much what I expected.

A couple years later, they did the Shadow Man remaster and since it was the same price as the digital, and my both of my Switches' sd cards are jam-packed, I gave them more business. Again, it took around a year. But it arrived, I grabbed it and my Switch excited to play on my morning commute. However, when I got on the bus, I was dismayed to discover that--even though I had the game cart--a 5gb download was required to actually play, otherwise known as 'the game'. I waited a year to receive a digital key in a plastic case...

Yeah, I think I'm done with Limited Run...

(unrelated: about a year ago I saw a movie that featured a pretentious, 'hipster', slimy, porn director and thought it was a great touch that he was wearing a "Limted Run Games" baseball cap)
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

m.sniffles.esq wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:17 pm However, when I got on the bus, I was dismayed to discover that--even though I had the game cart--a 5gb download was required to actually play, otherwise known as 'the game'. I waited a year to receive a digital key in a plastic case...
Huh, are you sure about this? I feel like I'd have heard an uproar about this, but I can't even find anything when I search for it.
Usually LRG's M.O. is exactly avoiding this. In my experience, their games are always patched to the latest version, and at least one of their delays (Celeste) was due to wanting to pack the DLC on to the disc/card as well.
The one time a release of theirs did require an online connection (Doom), they went out of their way to recall copies and replace them with a version that didn't, at no additional cost.

Of course, some games will receive further patches after a LRG release comes out, so you can still download those. But does Shadowman really require it to play?
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Huh, are you sure about this?
Me not playing on the bus made me like 99% positive. I guess there's always that 1%
I'd have heard an uproar about this, but I can't even find anything when I search for it.
Their customers break the shrink wrap?? I did a search but couldn't find anything.
Of course, some games will receive further patches after a LRG release comes out, so you can still download those.
A 5GB patch? If that's the case, I don't blame them for shipping a digital key. What's the point of putting anything on the cart if the entire thing is to be replaced anyway?

Regardless, the incredibly protracted turn-around time makes it obvious they're attempting to run a 'zero-risk' business. In which, the customer's 'pre-order' is being used to cover the manufacturing charges. Not only is this not strictly legal (in that, it ain't legal at all. Just ask Charles Ponzi...), but can easily blow up in everyone's face (just ask the customers of Dispatch Games). If they need the manufacturing costs covered (which they probably don't at this point. But why use your own money if there's people dumb enough to give you theirs?) let them run a Kickstarter like everyone else, even if it means cutting into their precious profit margin.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

m.sniffles.esq wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:59 am What's the point of putting anything on the cart if the entire thing is to be replaced anyway?
This is exactly what I'm questioning myself. I got a copy of their Shadowman as well, but I haven't gotten around to playing it. So if I get any sort of quality time with a Switch within the next week, I'm gonna cut its internet connection and test for myself.
m.sniffles.esq wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:59 am Regardless, the incredibly protracted turn-around time makes it obvious they're attempting to run a 'zero-risk' business. In which, the customer's 'pre-order' is being used to cover the manufacturing charges.
They very explicitly state that this is the case on every single of their preorder listings, yes.
Not only is this not strictly legal (in that, it ain't legal at all. Just ask Charles Ponzi...)
I'm not sure I see the relation to ponzi schemes at all. It's a completely normal way of doing business, and IMO also a lot more commendable than the alternative.

The much more dodgy side of their business is 1) Refusing to cancel orders and 2) Claiming customer payments before shipping items - both of those are illegal in most countries, but since they operate out of USA, they can get away with a lot of hostile practices like those.