Game Type DX, coming to PS4/NSW/XB1

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
MommysBestGames

Game Type DX, coming to PS4/NSW/XB1

Post by MommysBestGames »

I'm thrilled to announce the DX version of Game Type, coming later this year!
Game Type was born as a protest against Microsoft's terrible dashboard design back in 2011.

Since then I've beefed it up, as "Game Type DX", adding new game modes, new levels, new enemies, power-ups and even power-downs!

The structure of the game is an infinitely looping score attack game. There are options for unlimited time, or 3-minutes. There's also online leaderboards to share your score.

Here's the announcement trailer with gameplay details and new features:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bc0UUZjARs

And more info about the history of the game is here: https://mommysbest.blogspot.com/2022/04 ... pe-dx.html
Parkour!
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
FunktionJCB

Re: Game Type DX, coming to PS4/NSW/XB1

Post by FunktionJCB »

Any plans for a PC version later on?

MommysBestGames

Yup. Haven't announce it formally, but we are planning on bringing the DX content back to the Steam release as a free update, after all the console work.
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Nice, thanks. I thought this looked familiar and had to check, I played the original on Steam a number of years ago.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

MommysBestGames wrote:Yup. Haven't announce it formally, but we are planning on bringing the DX content back to the Steam release as a free update, after all the console work.
Awesome!

Thanks for the update. :wink:
MommysBestGames

Hi all, the pre-orders are open for Game Type DX on the Xbox One and the Nintendo Switch. (PS4 will have the game too, just couldn't swing a pre-order with Sony!)
The game is a weird time capsule of gaming history, along with a high-speed, score attack shooter.

Game Type DX is in a very strange situation. It's a game *about* the Xbox 360, (but it's also a shmup, I promise :).
So that has meant it's been very tough to get the game approved on the Switch and PS4.
Nintendo had us remove just about everything concerning the Xbox 360 which has been pretty funny to work on.

For instance, long ago in the XBLIG scene, there were controller "massage" games. (As you may remember.)
So I knew I wanted to include those in this game, since it features a mock Xbox 360 dashboard interface.
And I included a fake ad for one those games. Only I couldn't say the word "Rumble" and I couldn't show an xbox 360-like controller. :D

Anyway, it's been a bunch of changes, like that.
So if you want the definitive version, pre-order it on the Xbox One.
Xbox One: https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/store/ ... zz80wcxbvf
But honestly, the Switch and PS4 both have pretty interesting changes as well, and Switch version has a great framerate (I promise very low input lag!)
Switch: https://www.nintendo.com/store/products ... dx-switch/

Parkour!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

MommysBestGames wrote:Game Type DX is in a very strange situation. It's a game *about* the Xbox 360, (but it's also a shmup, I promise :).
So that has meant it's been very tough to get the game approved on the Switch and PS4.
Y'know, that makes sense now that you spell it out, but at the same time I'd never have thought of it off the cuff; after all, the game criticizes Microsoft for its actions back in the day, it's certainly not an endorsement. On the other hand, console makers tend to be a bit less aggressive about openly poking at each other nowadays than they used to be (Sony's PS4 reveal antics notwithstanding), so perhaps they just figured there was no reason to risk getting anyone's knickers in a twist here, especially when it would be you doing all the additional work in the end.

Maybe you could eventually put out a "definitive" edition on PC, where the player could toggle between the original theming and the "alternate" motif required for the DX release; icing on the cake would be a limited physical release featuring Hoodie Girl's Iconic Hoodie.
MommysBestGames

Ha, all solid ideas! The green hoodie physical item would be pretty funny. And yet it's so generic, it would be the ultimate "in the know" kind of thing.

Yeah, it's been pretty tough getting it approved for both Sony and Nintendo. Lots of nit-picky things. I've tried talking to them about how it's more "documentary" then serious issue. They were not having it. So out with all references, and in with more jokes and nods, which is not really *terrible*.
MommysBestGames

New trailer!
Game hits September 8th.
Warning: Music is loud and repetitive (but I personally like it!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS_WTzKP4VI
MommysBestGames

Leading up to release, here is a new "tips and strategies" video that focuses on you basic attack and your super beam.
Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbZ1UaHgPpY
MommysBestGames

I made a second strategy video!
This is about the very unusual super bomb in the game.
It offers a lot of shooting and scoring depth.
Check out the full video here :arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twrlcgp ... zjUsFR1KPl
The video offers good starting strategies for how to use it.