Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 Announced (GunSmoke, ECO Fighters)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
parodius

Re: Capcom Arcade Stadium (NSW eshop): Progear, Giga Wing, 1

Post by parodius »

Didn't realize Cyberbots had some of the exact same mechas as Powered Gear. Sure, they looked similar.
Spoiler
ImageImage
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Yeah knights and king of dragons were on the bundle. There's a good amount of overlap though. If you paid for that one as well as SF 30th then you have a good chunk of these already. 8 or so games.

And Capcom, literally no one wants the original SF2 World Warrior. I guess it can be kind of fun to go back to witness the jank that was possible in this one. Or maybe try some obscure world warrior only combos, but this is a totally obsolete game. 3 SF2 versions is too much when you already released a package with all of them on the same console.

Could've given us something cool like Puzzle Fighter or Muscle Bomber in that spot.
CRP

Post by CRP »

BrianC wrote:Noticed that every single game is the Capcom Beat 'em up Bundle is in Capcom Arcade Stadium.
Incorrect - The King of Dragons and Knights of the Round.

Also those games that have been released before, probobly to took little effort into adding them to stadium.
So see it as a bonus and if it help sell stadium more then the better, and mayby will see more releases like these from capcom .
I prefer to see stadium as Capcom shumps Bundle plus some bonus games.
And im damn happy about what we get from capcom this time from a shumps perspektiv.

edit: Ghosts 'n Goblins is included if you buy all games as a extra
BIL

Post by BIL »

Aren't Powered Gear and Cyberbots set in the same universe? Might be mis-remembering. I also recall some crazy shit about Star Gladiator's main dude being related to Ryu, but that is obviously playground bullsheeit! OR IS IT
CRP wrote:
BrianC wrote:Noticed that every single game is the Capcom Beat 'em up Bundle is in Capcom Arcade Stadium.
Incorrect - Armored Warriors plus The King of Dragons and Knights of the Round thats almost half (43%) of Capcom Beat 'em up Bundle not included.
Armored Warriors = Overseas version of Powered Gear (JP). (Belt Action Collection has both)

EMPTY THE CHAMBER / LOCK AND RELOAD Image Image
Spoiler

KOD and KOTOR are indeed AWOL from this first set of Stadium, though. I wonder if there was any sort of polling in Japan... the selection seems curiously scattershot WRT debuts and returns, though I'm certainly not complaining. I'd buy this entire thing just for Progear or 19XX. Image

EDIT: Ohooo, ninja edit me you have! Image
edit: Ghosts 'n Goblins is included if you buy all games as a extra
Aha, figured it'd be in there somewhere. I'm not the biggest fan of Goblins tbh - a bit exploit-reliant compared to the absolute twitch masterpiece of Ghouls - but it's an essential sidescrolling action game regardless.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

CRP wrote:Also those games that have been released before, probobly to took little effort into adding them to stadium.
So see it as a bonus and if it help sell stadium more then the better, and mayby will see more releases like these from capcom .
We don't really know if they would have taken little effort as different devs did Belt Scroller and SF 30th collections. And we don't know if either of them is the same dev or using the same emulator as this.

That being said the Belt Scroll set was 19.99 and the SF 30th collection was 29.99. I want to support these kind of releases, but I don't necessarily want to be corralled into spending money on the same games twice for the same console due to the way the games are bundled.

The third pack that includes Giga Wing, Progear and 1944 has 10 games, 5 out of the 10 I already own on Switch from these two sets which I already paid 50 bucks for.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

And SF 30th was actually $40. The main reason I didn't buy it for over a year.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

BIL wrote:Aren't Powered Gear and Cyberbots set in the same universe?
Yep, Cyberbots is a spinoff of Powered Gear. It's connected to Tech Romancer as well which is kind of a spiritual successor, the Blodia mech shows up in all three games.

I don't actually know if anyone's ever mapped all this out, but it's pretty clear there's a broader connected Capcom universe, at least among a lot of characters with that signature human-proportioned anime style.

Bionic Commando has you rescuing Super Joe, the protagonist of Commando. Mercs is the direct sequel to Commando. Captain Commando is set in a future Metro City from Final Fight. Ginzu the ninja from Captain Commando uses Bushin Ryu.

It's revealed in Street Fighter V that Guy from Final Fight was a punk high school washout who was trained in Bushin Ryu by Zeku. In his ending, Zeku essentially founds the Striders.

Sakura crosses over into Rival Schools, and Akira from Rival Schools is appearing as a playable character in SF V.

Gunloc from Saturday Night Slam Masters is Guile's brother.

It's also revealed in SF V that enemy character Two P from Final Fight is actually the displaced 2nd player flying marine from Forgotten Worlds, who has, well, forgotten his world. I'm not sure if we get to assume that all three Capcom jet pack games are connected, bringing Section Z & Side Arms in as well.

Darkstalkers, Ghosts n' Goblins and the spinoff Gargoyle series take place in the same realm, Makai. I'm not sure if there's a connection from those games to others, I know a lot of the Darkstalkers characters come to Makai from a normal Earth.

There are a lot of tenuous connections between games like Ryu appearing as a weird little secret in Varth or Darkstalkers characters in the background of SF Alpha games. And of course Capcom genera like the yashichi & other bits & bobs. But I wouldn't count those.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

CRP wrote:
oops. I like both of those quite a bit too. I might get the packs for the new games. Hopefully, the emulation turns out well. It's nice seeing 19XX and Progear finally make it to an official collection, at least. I ended up getting SF Anniversary twice for the switch, second time on sale from the JP eShop for the better version of the collection (not sure why Capcom is being so dumb with releasing the version with the JP roms in the west).
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Are there any other changes in the Street Fighter games aside from some character name changes?
CRP

Post by CRP »

BrianC wrote:
CRP wrote:
oops. I like both of those quite a bit too.
Im sorry i meant that "The King of Dragons and Knights of the Round" are not included capcom stadium .
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
BIL wrote:Aren't Powered Gear and Cyberbots set in the same universe?
Yep, Cyberbots is a spinoff of Powered Gear.
Cyberbots is a spin-off, but it doesn't use the same setting. Almost like how Warp cast Laura as lead in three productions, Capcom recycled the lead mech designs without any narrative connection. Powered Gear is set in the 23rd century in the aftermath of a war between Earth and an alien world, Cyberbots is set in the 21st century. Various machines that were of alien origin in the earlier game are suddenly human designs with completely different backstories. Blodia also exists at the more reasonable Votoms scale in Powered Gear, while Cyberbots blows it up to the size of G Gundam (which it is obviously inspired by).
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sengoku Strider wrote:Bionic Commando has you rescuing Super Joe, the protagonist of Commando. Mercs is the direct sequel to Commando.
Direct sequel down to its name, they're Senjou no Okami I & II in Japan. :smile:
Mortificator wrote:Various machines that were of alien origin in the earlier game are suddenly human designs with completely different backstories. Blodia also exists at the more reasonable Votoms scale in Powered Gear, while Cyberbots blows it up to the size of G Gundam (which it is obviously inspired by).
Interesting stuff, thanks for the detailed history!

Reminds me of Raystorm repurposing Rayforce's ship and machine designs wholesale, for a story not about genocidal AI, but a war between Earth and its colonies (ending in a biblical bodycount regardless, as the ending's victory text crisply informs - LOL TAITO :shock:).

I'd assumed Raystorm was a prequel much like Raycrisis "- And then, they replaced the corrupt rulers who'd caused so much bloodshed with a benevolent computer! PRESENTED BY TAITO - and it'd even canon fine, given all the stuff you see in Rayforce is technically Earthling-made. Can't recall it being stated/implied in any materials, though.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Wasn't the Commando - Bionic Commando relationship totally made up by Capcom USA due to the former's success there?

King of Dragons - Magic Sword - Black Dragon are vaguely related or sharing the universe, if I recall. There's a boss from the latter appearing as a boss again in the former.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Wouldn't surprise me re: Bionic Commando, with the NES version already screwing things up by reusing the Western arcade game's title, rather subtitling it ala the Famicom's "Top Secret: The Resurrection of Hitler." Once you've demoted it from OG production to mere "home version," why not tweak the (already bound to be censored) storyline? I've no idea if the latter actually occurred... you do still rescue an aged hero on FC. Given the NES team scrubbed Hitler's name and insignia, but not Hitler himself, the possibilities are truly endless. :lol:

Same thing happened with Rygar - same title for Western arcade/NES games, cueing much "LMAO THERE DIFFERENT GAMES THO" Youtube retrospectives, but marketed as an original Famicom spinoff (Hachamecha Daishingeki) in Japan. Plebes! Image
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

More than anything, it's that there're no sci fi elements to be seen in Senjou no Ookami. Typical aspect that a US distributor wouldn't give a shit, but ask the Japanese authors and you'll get a WTF.
BIL

Post by BIL »

My favourite example of that is the 23rd-century Contra and Super Contra becoming present-day 80s on NES, for no real reason... and their concluding chapter, Contra Spirits, needing its photos of the first two games' events quietly scrubbed of dates in the SNES localisation, Contra III. Image

Which is even more retarded than it would be, given the first two games are just as chock-full of Space Lazors and other future shit as the third. It's like they thought they were making a documentary, and while the first two games taking place in top-secret Area 51-esque facilities might fly, the third having most of Earth blown up by aliens would shatter the audience's disbelief. :lol:

Sengoku Strider

Bassa-Bassa wrote:Wasn't the Commando - Bionic Commando relationship totally made up by Capcom USA due to the former's success there?
The Japanese game was called Top Secret in the arcade, then subtitled Hitler's Resurrection on Famicom. I've never played that version, but in looking at Japanese longplays it does appear that it's good ol' Super Joe you're sent to rescue:

”Rescue Super Joe! Right now in Area 1...”

Tellingly, subsequent releases of the game and the franchise as a whole were titled Baionikku Komando- in Japanese.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

There's no mention of Super Joe in Top Secret AC. Seems Capcom Japan adopted the story for Hitler no Fukkatsu. That game's actually called Hitler no Fukkatsu: Top Secret, being Top Secret the subtitle, like if they're telling us there's no story connection with the arcade, but that it takes stuff from it. The Famicom game's setting looks indeed less sci fi (and less comical) than the arcade game.

Image Image
BIL

Post by BIL »

Presented w/grain of salt, something interesting, re: platform availability, via Passing Assassin @ everyone's favourite gaming forum ResetEra:
Passing Assassin wrote:GHOST 'N' GOBLINS RE (translated/decrypted from 魔界RE) is a Nintendo Switch Timed Exclusive (RE probably stands for RE Engine) releasing on february 25th. It has promotional support from Nintendo and is exclusive for three months. I'tll release on June 1st on PC, PS4 and Xbox One.

ARCADE STADIUM (translated from アーケードスタジアム) is a Nintendo Switch Timed Exclusive with interlocking promotion with GHOST 'N' GOBLINS releasing on February 18th. It'll release on PS4/One/PC on May 25th. It is codename REIWA.
I'll happily buy a Switch for this (been meaning to for a while, M2's Sega AGES Virtua Racing is a system-seller for me, as are several of their other AGES titles), but I'll be happy if this is true. I like having my choice of platforms, naw mean. Image (all credit to user NJ_, via this Anime News Network thread)
Last edited by BIL on Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Makes sense. The Sega Ages not having a PS4 version at least is nuts.
Sengoku Strider

Bassa-Bassa wrote:There's no mention of Super Joe in Top Secret AC. Seems Capcom Japan adopted the story for Hitler no Fukkatsu. That game's actually called Hitler no Fukkatsu: Top Secret, being Top Secret the subtitle, like if they're telling us there's no story connection with the arcade, but that it takes stuff from it. The Famicom game's setting looks indeed less sci fi (and less comical) than the arcade game.

I loved the NES version, it was the first game I ever finished. But when I finally played it the arcade game seemed kinda bleh by comparison so I never put any time into it. In looking at stuff in Japanese online it doesn't even look like the arcade version really has a story, just a vague premise about special forces attacking undefined enemies who are going to launch giant missiles, presumably at people who are not evil. So I can certainly believe the Commando tie was a localization change they liked so they included it in the Famicom version, just making the main character separate from Super Joe instead of being him. Capcom USA seemed to have a fair amount of input back then, like they're mentioned all over the Darkstalkers design process.
Sengoku Strider

BIL wrote: I'll happily buy a Switch for this (been meaning to for a while, M2's Sega AGES Virtua Racing is a system-seller for me, as are several of their other AGES titles), but I'll be happy if this is true. I like having my choice of platforms, naw mean. Image (all credit to user NJ_, via this Anime News Network thread)
I’m kind of shocked you don’t already have one, given that you post so much about old school arcade games and Switch has become an ideal haven for them, as well as seemingly the new de facto home of shmups. The AGES games are really fantastic, they’re well above the ACA stuff, which I quite like as well. They get more play time than anything else on the system for me outside shmups.

Playing Virtua Racing in widescreen first person view at 60 fps in handheld mode with analog controls is a revelation. Outrun at 60fps is basically a sprite scaling eye massage. The two Thunder Force ports are awesome too, letting you use ships from other TF games with their individual quirks. And the controls on the Shinobi port feel unbelievably tight. Herzog Zwei has online play. These are the best versions of these games that have ever existed imo.
Bassa-Bassa wrote:Makes sense. The Sega Ages not having a PS4 version at least is nuts.
At least it’s a step above when they were only putting them out for 3DS.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

The Sega Ages series on Switch really is a system seller for the right kind of player. One of the only bummers is that it doesn't seem to have performed very well, so it might be unlikely that we see another batch of games any time soon. And probably even more unlikely that they will ever make their way to PS4. This trouble in the sales department might be due partly to the game selection as it consists of some games that already have too many ports (Sonic 1 and 2 . . . yawn) and some that are a bit too much on the deep cut side of the spectrum to turn many heads (Ichidant-R). No doubt Virtua Racing had to be one of the best selling games, and deservedly so since it's astonishingly well done, and VR is a game that has cried out for a good port for years.

Each of the games is like a definitive edition, easily beating straight up emulation and going neck and neck with original hardware as the best way to play. Those ultra low latency controls are a must on Shinobi, since it requires tight timing of button presses like just about no other game.

One advantage of these types of curated collections (when done this well) that I see vs. MAME is that the limited selection of games might push you towards playing something amazing but not immediately appealing to your tastes. This happened to me with Gain Ground. I bought it more or less because it was part of the series even though I had no interest in it. Then I fell in love with the game.

It's one of the few truly unique shooting games out there. A run n gun where once the difficulty ramps up, each stage is like a mini chess board where you need patience and strategy to win. It's the thinking man's Ikari Warriors. The life system is unique as you dont end a credit by having a set amount of deaths, but deaths are extremely punishing bc losing characters in your roster , like losing chess pieces, limits your strategic options more and more.The ultra high res (for the 1980s :lol: ) System 24 graphics scale up beautifully and look good with or without scanlines. Once you get used to the low key presentation of the game, you can really appreciate all the details in those tiny sprites. The Genesis could never have done this game any justice BITD. The leaderboard replays are the equivalent of having an old dusty Superplay VHS from 1988 as there are still some crazy mofos out there that know every strategy and exploit and have posted up near WR scores for both Japan and overseas revisions.
Spoiler
BtW Bionic Commando fans, don't sleep on the Game Boy version.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sengoku Strider wrote:I’m kind of shocked you don’t already have one, given that you post so much about old school arcade games and Switch has become an ideal haven for them, as well as seemingly the new de facto home of shmups. The AGES games are really fantastic, they’re well above the ACA stuff, which I quite like as well. They get more play time than anything else on the system for me outside shmups.
TBH, this time last year, it came down to which machine could run the Garegga 2016 disc I'd bought at release. :wink: I got a current-gen machine strictly for the momentous Ninja Warriors Once Again - fully expected ShotTriggers to be my only other use for it. Helluva surprise, this gen's arcade emulation chops, so now it's time to pick up the other machine. :mrgreen:

AGES and ACA are apples/oranges, I firmly believe. M2 are the unrivalled kings of super-deluxe boutique releases. ACA Rygar, Ninja Spirit and Sunset Riders et al don't have the presentation and extras M2 would've given them, but they're painstakingly arcade-accurate, they cover all the essentials (button config, screen adjust, DIP settings), and above all - they exist. Image I'd rebuy theoretical M2 versions in a heartbeat, but I'm not losing sleep over it. Digital Eclipse's crummy Guevara and SAR, on the other hand...

It's great situation for console-bound arcade fans, having these two in steady work. I was absolutely mortified at the thought of Digital Eclipse getting their incompetent hands on Stadium, but thankfully that's looking like a false alarm. If I'd suspected M2 or Hamster, or their adjacent specialists Gotch, half of my posts ITT wouldn't exist. :lol: (currently awaiting M2's first Toaplan quartet and ACA Raiden, Guevara, Rabio Lepus & Gradius III)
Rastan78 wrote:It's one of the few truly unique shooting games out there. A run n gun where once the difficulty ramps up, each stage is like a mini chess board where you need patience and strategy to win. It's the thinking man's Ikari Warriors.
To be fair, Ikari's a relatively cerebral game in its own right. Twitch alone won't get you far with that movement speed. :wink: Shits the bed in its final quarter, sadly, with those dumbass landmines turning swathes of tactically rich ground into rote straitjackets. :sad: Decent tactical shooter that could've been outright immortal. Dogosoken (same year!) was smart to drop those lame instakills, in favour of erupting spawns that can be deftly improvised.

I actually wondered, having discovered Obada's games long after Gain Ground, whether they were any influence. First thing I thought, as I was cut to ribbons at twenty paces by an MG nest, was "this is like friggin' Gain Ground!"
System 24 graphics scale up beautifully and look good with or without scanlines. Once you get used to the low key presentation of the game, you can really appreciate all the details in those tiny sprites. The Genesis could never have done this game any justice BITD.
Something I like about the MD version (it wouldn't surprise me if AC/AGES allows similar) is its Hard mode. Nothing seems to have changed, initially, and what's more, you start off with the entire set of characters. The catch is, there are no POWS to save, and if someone takes a hit, they're perma-dead. Puts a very interesting spin on things, you can tear up the early game but a single mis-step will haunt you to the end.

Needless to say though, the game doesn't play anything near arcade-perfect sans that crazy hi-res display. In some ways though, I again get some fun out of it - with everything crunched together, it makes the game play a bit quicker. A favourite "Black Label" cart of mine.
Damn straight, that one's worth getting a GBA Player for. I did! Image Easily as good as the FC game it's an expanded remake of.

Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Ages Gain Ground does have a new mode where you start with all members, but since I was focusing on arcade mode I can't remember the other balance changes to it off hand.

BIL, if you get a Switch I think you will also like the NES/SNES games that you get if you have the online service. Nintendo's emulation is done by a European partner called NERD and in this case it's really good. Its not a massive selection of good games outside of the expected Nintendo stuff, but there a few great highlights. Albeit I don't think there is an option for different regions. You get your region's version only.

NES highlights:
Vice Project Doom
Shadow of the Ninja
Crystalis
Blaster Master
Rygar
Gradius
Double Dragon 1 and 2
Ninja Gaiden etc.

SNES highlights:
Pop'n Twinbee
Demon's Crest
Super Ghouls n Ghosts
Wild Guns
Operation Logic Bomb
CanbeeShinobi2

Post by CanbeeShinobi2 »

Awesome, Progear is one of my favorite Shmup.
FRO

Post by FRO »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Stevens wrote:BEEP BEEP BEEPBEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP
I once saw someone play the NES port of 1942 and it was one of the saddest experiences I've ever had.
Don't hate, I 1CC'd that crap :lol:

In all seriousness, I'm stoked for this collection, though I share concerns about who's actually developing it. But the initial stuff, like rewind, different ROM versions, etc. are all good initial signs, I'd think.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

FWIW, the massive capcom leaks floating around twitter seem to indicate that this and the new Makaimura game are timed exclusives, coming out on other platforms in the summer.
Sengoku Strider

Rastan78 wrote:The Sega Ages series on Switch really is a system seller for the right kind of player. One of the only bummers is that it doesn't seem to have performed very well, so it might be unlikely that we see another batch of games any time soon.
From what Sega said, they exceeded expectations outside Japan. It was in Japan where they just didn't take. M2 had a contract for 15 games, the series did well enough that it was expanded to 19. At the end of that Sega said they had other plans for their back catalogue stuff going forward.

Hopefully something more ambitious than another Genesis compilation starring nostalgic favourites like Alex Kidd in the Collision Detection Nightmare and Why Do You Think Someone Without a Longplay Channel Is Going to Sit Down and Play All the Way Through Sword of Vermillion.
BIL wrote: AGES and ACA are apples/oranges, I firmly believe. M2 are the unrivalled kings of super-deluxe boutique releases. ACA Rygar, Ninja Spirit and Sunset Riders et al don't have the presentation and extras M2 would've given them, but they're painstakingly arcade-accurate, they cover all the essentials (button config, screen adjust, DIP settings), and above all - they exist. Image I'd rebuy theoretical M2 versions in a heartbeat, but I'm not losing sleep over it.
Oh, I didn't bring up the comparison to put ACA down. I've got 10 of them on my Switch and I forget how many more on my PS4. Only mentioned it to frame how much work M2 had done for the AGES line, which is cool considering they actually cost a little less than the ACA stuff.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

BIL wrote:
Damn straight, that one's worth getting a GBA Player for. I did! Image Easily as good as the FC game it's an expanded remake of.
GBA player is a worthy choice for sure. But for what it's worth, GB Bionic Commando is also still easily accessible via the 3DS eshop (for as long as that's still up). In addition to the huge 3DS/DS library, I really dig my 3DS as a portable Virtual Console machine (NES, GB, Game Gear), and M2's excellent Sega 3D Classics releases.