OSSC/Retrotink with a VCR?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
shmupsrocks

Re: OSSC/Retrotink with a VCR?

Post by shmupsrocks »

What about a modern Lumagen compared to the Faroudja stuff?
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Maybe Faroudja is the best value at this point while Lumagen is superior but much more costly?
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Personally I’d just get a more affordable Faroudja if I were in your shoes, Lumagens are going the hardcore “home theater / CRT projector enthusiast” route. But if you can find an affordable one, I’d say go for it! There is a Lumagen DVI unit on eBay for a pretty solid price at the moment:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353310447672

It’s one of their older units, IDK how their earliest products stack up against Faroudja
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The old Lumagens are SiI504 based, just like the DVDOs. Solid film mode, mediocre video mode, not the greatest filtering.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

The Faroudja DVP-5000 seems to have something of a cult following with believers preferring it to even the newest Lumagens. The images it produces are said to have a special "pop".
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... video0.mov

^ This is my wacky ol’ color separation/frame synchronization/TBC chain (the Kramer decoder processes 240p properly, as does the CYP CMT-7 that NoAffinity is mailing back to me his week - that one outputs 15kHz YUV, in addition to our RGBS and RGBHV here!). I use neither decoder for 240p, simply a “fun bonus” that it processes fine via both decoders. From the decoder, I often just watch shit in native 480i via RGBS (Horrendous comb filtering on my Sampo/NetTV!), or run shit either into GBS Control, my surprisingly adequate “Zinwell BLS-3000” processor, or some sorta sinful combo lol. Can run native/“true” 720p into Sampo, send 1080i via YPbPr to HDMI into muh KD-34XBR960.

I’ll get an “actually tolerable” processor one of these days, haha.