shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:44 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: X Station PS1 ODE
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:09 pm 

evil_ash_xero wrote:
Is this thing easily installed in a system that has been modded for PSIO? And would it make the PSIO unable to work? I would kind of like to have both going, since there's so many freaking games on the PSX, and something always has a problem with a batch of games. I'm very skeptical this won't have a lot of firmware updates after it comes out. But it might be more stable, due to being an actual ODE. I dunno... stuff with the PSIO has kind of been a drag.

It doesn't interfere. But the main plus of PSIO is that it lets you keep the original CD-ROM in place and functioning, so I don't think using both on the same console is a good idea--unless you were already using a console with a dead drive. Probably better in general to just get a cheap spare console.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:24 am 

evil_ash_xero wrote:
Is this thing easily installed in a system that has been modded for PSIO? And would it make the PSIO unable to work? I would kind of like to have both going, since there's so many freaking games on the PSX, and something always has a problem with a batch of games. I'm very skeptical this won't have a lot of firmware updates after it comes out. But it might be more stable, due to being an actual ODE. I dunno... stuff with the PSIO has kind of been a drag.

PlayStation units with a broken drive are cheap as heck, why not get another and get rid of the PSIO unit?

And outside of the PSIO which is not a true ODE, every ODE I'm familiar with has near-perfect compatibility. I've heard fantastic things about the XStation so far so I don't see any reason for it to be a repeat of the PSIO crap.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:14 pm 

I think I'm going to wait this out. :lol:

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:50 pm 

pretty sweet preorders go out middle of next week !

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:28 pm 

This sounds impressive. I'm guessing this doesn't mean games are 100% bug-free, just that they boot?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:44 pm 

Is anyone selling premodded systems yet?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:54 pm 

NormalFish wrote:

The XStation hasn't been officially released yet, all footage online is from early revisions sent to testers. Units are expected to ship on October 14.

I have eight PlayStation units here though that have been cleaned and tested, and I have eight XStations on order.
As soon as they come in, I'll be installing them, taking pictures, and selling them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:27 am 

darcagn wrote:
NormalFish wrote:

The XStation hasn't been officially released yet, all footage online is from early revisions sent to testers. Units are expected to ship on October 14.

I have eight PlayStation units here though that have been cleaned and tested, and I have eight XStations on order.
As soon as they come in, I'll be installing them, taking pictures, and selling them.

Oh damn okay. I kind of stopped following the project once I saw the install process, my bad.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:58 am 

Gunstar wrote:
This sounds impressive. I'm guessing this doesn't mean games are 100% bug-free, just that they boot?

Beta testers have been testing the xStation extensively for a month now, yes, that actually means games work exactly like with the CD and bug free.
btw, there are plenty of actual game bugs and glitches, we burned the CDs to verify these bugs if we encountered them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:34 am 

As I've mentioned before, I'd like to know how these tests are being directed. Is that claim in regards to the US catalog only or does it include the NTSC-J catalog as well, even the language-heavy games?

darcagn wrote:

In the US? Would you send to Europe too?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:18 pm 

James-F wrote:
Gunstar wrote:

Beta testers have been testing the xStation extensively for a month now, yes, that actually means games work exactly like with the CD and bug free.
btw, there are plenty of actual game bugs and glitches, we burned the CDs to verify these bugs if we encountered them.

Cool, not expecting original bugs and glitches to be fixed, just interested in the ones introduced by the XStation. I like that people are verifying bugs against a burned CD, it sounds like Rama and co have done an amazing job if it's 100% compatible thus far. I can't wait for mine to arrive!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:22 pm 

If anyone is thinking of getting a 1TB SD card to fill with a Redump set, Amazon has a 1TB SanDisk Extreme microSD for $183 for Prime Day (today and tomorrow).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:29 pm 

I'm gonna be honest to say this was just Voultar hype (seems like everything he says on twitter is immediately the accepted consensus nowadays...) but this really seems to be delivering what was promised! Glad to have bought one Day #1.

edit: to clarify, Rama is a great dev, I was just skeptical of the 100% compatibility claims, especially because of the drama surrounding it.

Now to be patient and wait for shipping + our slow ass customs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:42 am 

PU-18 install guide is out. https://github.com/x-station/xstation-i ... h_PU18.pdf

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:09 am 

My body is so ready for this. My SCPH-1001 w/ bad laser has been sitting patiently awaiting resurrection for far too long. I greatly want to run that unit again, with rca cables pumping out good good audiophile-approved analog audio from it. :)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5