50/60 Hz and Commodore monitors

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
iatneH

50/60 Hz and Commodore monitors

Post by iatneH »

I'm still in the market for a MD Zero Wing. If I can't find a JP version then I might get a EU version. But I have to know if it will work on my Commodore 1702. I have already installed a region switch in my guinea pig Genesis 2, and I can also fit a 50/60 Hz switch easily.

Running my Genesis in 50 Hz mode and fiddling with vertical hold on the monitor, the game should play at the right speed and display without any funny borders? Or is it more complicated that that (i.e. frequency of AC coming out of my wall sockets etc.)?

Of course the simplest solution would be for a nice guy (or gal?) here to sell me a JP version :]
gundamalpha

Post by gundamalpha »

i'm no expert in this field but i haven't heard of any mega drive game that is pal optimized (running 50Hz with the speed equivalent to 60Hz). plus i believe game is not region protected, so you should be able to play the game in 60Hz without problem
SAM

Re: 50/60 Hz and Commodore monitors

Post by SAM »

iatneH wrote:Of course the simplest solution would be for a nice guy (or gal?) here to sell me a JP version :]
Well, MD Zero Wing is really that hard to find? :shock:

You should be easily located several copies at yahoo.jp. I bought mine there for 1,000 to 2,000 yen there last year. :o

If you use a cheap poxy bider, it won't cost you much. :o
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
iatneH

Re: 50/60 Hz and Commodore monitors

Post by iatneH »

SAM wrote:Well, MD Zero Wing is really that hard to find? :shock:
No, not really. Comes up on eBay fairly often. Just annoying f00kers snipe me at the end. And nobody responded to my WTB thread :(
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

The C=1702 can sync to 50hz no problem. It can't display as many lines as a real PAL display but this isn't a problem for Japanese game systems since they are limitted to 240 lines/field anyway.
matt

Post by matt »

All Commodore monitors will display 50hz just fine. But, it'll still be black and white unless you're using RGB. In RGB, everything is perfect at both 50 and 60hz.

But if you're just trying to play PAL Megadrive games, you don't need a 50hz monitor. Just use an NTSC system, and either install a region switch or use a Mega Key. Then all your games will run in 60hz and you won't have to deal with crappy PAL letterboxing.