Ways to get around region coding?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
jpolz

Ways to get around region coding?

Post by jpolz »

I recently started buying import games and I've been weighing in on how best to play them. So far the options I've seen have been either to modchip my US PS2 or buy a JP PS2.

Since will be playing only original discs, is there a more cost effective solution like a USB loader or something of that nature. The only reason I hesitate to buy a JP PS2, is if something goes wrong with it, I'm basically SOL.
SAM

Post by SAM »

I go for a Japanese PS2.

But the truth is if I ever want US PS2 I had to import it.... :lol:
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

I first had the HDloader. It's nice to load of HD but it didn't support imports.
Now I have it modded and can even boot to HD immediatly which is even more nice. Imports are supported too and you could transfer them to HD for quicker loading and saving of your lens.
Though still till this day I haven't been able to get my original jap Raiden III on HD :(

To play imports your only choices are a modchip or a jap PS2.
ReKleSS

Post by ReKleSS »

I use a swap magic disc which hasn't given me any problems yet. I just don't like having to swap the discs around, even on my slim PS2. In most cases it should be cheaper than a mod chip and won't void your warranty.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Does Chouaniki work with a modchip? Because it's the only PS2 shooter that doesn't work with Swap Magic for some reason.
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

Ganelon wrote:Does Chouaniki work with a modchip? Because it's the only PS2 shooter that doesn't work with Swap Magic for some reason.
It works here.
Though I can't get it to boot from HD :(