shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:59 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - accepting participants
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:21 pm 

nmalinoski wrote:
Ichinisan wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
It works in either, and you can configure it to scale/framerate convert to 480p, 576p, 720p, or 1080p at either 50Hz or 60Hz, regardless of what the inserted game calls for.

What I'm not sure about is if the default/failsafe video mode is 480p60 universally or if the UltraHDMI detects the console region and defaults to either 480p60 or 576p50; I don't have any PAL hardware to test with.

While dealing with a kit running in PAL 50Hz that wasn’t supported by my TV, I found that the UltraHDMI jumper / IGR reset (typically holding Reset during power-on) doesn’t revert to 60Hz. For that, I had to do a controller reset. I don’t recall the specific button combination, but I think it was in the RetroActive install PDF.

Curious. If you have an HDMI to YPbPr converter handy (Otherwise, the Portta ones are about $20 on Amazon), and an OSSC, you could use them to confirm either to which video mode that PAL console is failsafing with the jumper reset (which would also indicate that the controller combo reset specifically activates 480p60, regardless of console region) or if it was failsafing at all.

In my experimentation last year with HW1, the UltraHDMI would do 60Hz HDMI output if the controller button combo reset was performed while it was connected to an NTSC board, or 50Hz HDMI output if connected to a PAL system while performing the reset. Back then it confused me because I knew my TV was compatible with PAL N64s running UltraHDMI, but the board that was sent to me made the TV show "unsupported signal," even after I tried to initialize settings by holding Reset. It had the same issue with my test system, so I thought the UltraHDMI board was bad for a little while. Apparently the previous PAL systems worked with my TV because I tested all my UltraHDMI boards first using an NTSC test system, so the UltraHDMI boards configured themselves for 60Hz HDMI output before they were installed in PAL systems. In the case which confused me, the board was sent to me for install and its initial power-on test was done with the PAL system, so the UltraHDMI set HDMI output to 50Hz and my TV said "unsupported signal" until I performed the button combo reset. It was more perplexing at first because I expected both resets to behave the same way. I always held the console's Reset button to do a jumper / IGR reset -- and that wasn't going to work.

Maybe Marshall can tweak the firmware slightly so the jumper / IGR reset is just as thorough as the controller button combo reset.

Practically all the boards I've received from Marshall and Game-Tech.US will show "settings corrupt, defaults loaded" the first time it's powered-on. That indicates it was never powered-on after Marshall programmed the firmware. It will also set 50Hz or 60Hz HDMI output based on the N64 board type (PAL or NTSC). If the current frequency is incompatible with your TV, I believe the only thing you can do is move the UltraHDMI to the correct type of N64 board (PAL or NTSC) to match your TV and then perform the controller reset method.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:40 pm 

It is good to hear you are getting to emails now, I sent one over a week ago and I'm hoping to get on the buy list soon. Now I just need to decide whether I should buy a working ice blue console to install it in or just pick up a dead one and transplant my current system into it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:10 am 

Can the analogue board be installed with the original hw1 board? Or would I need to just do a new install with the updated hw2 board?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:10 pm 

honeyconsistency wrote:
Can the analogue board be installed with the original hw1 board? Or would I need to just do a new install with the updated hw2 board?

I'm certain that the HW1 boards lack the required connection for the analogue board; you will need to fully uninstall your HW1 (including the flex cable) and do a fresh install with HW2. On the bright side, I believe it's been confirmed that the main board is a drop-in replacement for HW1, so you shouldn't need to make further modifications to your console's shell.

And, on that note, is there enough clearance to use Greg Collins's no-cut mod with HW2 with the analogue module?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:15 pm 

Man, there’s almost 1000 paid orders on the tracking sheet. I really wish that could help motivate things to move faster.

On another note, I’m moving in November. I’ll send an email to update my new address.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:39 pm 

dryja123 wrote:
Man, there’s almost 1000 paid orders on the tracking sheet. I really wish that could help motivate things to move faster.

On another note, I’m moving in November. I’ll send an email to update my new address.

Jeez that many!!!! I paid for mine 10 months ago.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:42 pm 

Yeah in comparison only a handful of units were sold in all the other rounds. Hate to say it, but it's difficult to have faith that this round can possibly get completed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:56 pm 

terzdesign wrote:
dryja123 wrote:

Jeez that many!!!! I paid for mine 10 months ago.

At the time of writing, there are 406 aliases who have paid and 905 kits have been paid for, so there has been an average of ~2.23 upgrade kits per person. A few large buyers are getting 5 or more, but I would have expected the average to be a lot closer to 1.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:56 am 

@Ichinisan
Hi James.
the people ask for some news about the production. do you have some news about marshall. can we expect more until the end of the year? maybe you have to update your first post about the situation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:47 am 

Marshall said he's ready to start provisioning the rest of the boards if I don't see any problems with the current firmware. I told him I tested several scenarios with my HW2 kit but I didn't put much time into actually using it (I've just been too busy to spend any time playing N64). I made a couple minor usability suggestions that he is considering. He should send the first wave of UltraHDMI kits very soon and schedule production for the next batch soon after.

I'm almost caught-up on email, then I'll catch up on this thread. Over the next few days I will contact all the people who should be covered by this first shipment to make sure I have up-to-date address info and request any N64 consoles that need to be sent to me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:29 am 

Ichinisan wrote:
Marshall said he's ready to start provisioning the rest of the boards if I don't see any problems with the current firmware. I told him I tested several scenarios with my HW2 kit but I didn't put much time into actually using it (I've just been too busy to spend any time playing N64). I made a couple minor usability suggestions that he is considering. He should send the first wave of UltraHDMI kits very soon and schedule production for the next batch soon after.

I'm almost caught-up on email, then I'll catch up on this thread. Over the next few days I will contact all the people who should be covered by this first shipment to make sure I have up-to-date address info and request any N64 consoles that need to be sent to me.

Exciting news. Thanks for the updates.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:52 pm 

:D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:35 am 

Ichinisan wrote:

Is it safe to assume that if we don't hear from you that it's due to being in the second batch? I know I still owe you a couple dollars for the remaining shipping on my kits, and I'd like to confirm payment for the DAC units and potentially an additional kit should I be in the later batch.

Thanks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:40 am 

Ichinisan wrote:

This is positively fantastic news! Thanks for the update, Ichinisan!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:48 am 

I am getting so excited now! This is great news.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:48 am 

Exciting, I hope we receive them by the end of the year.

:)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:59 am 

So will the next Ultra HDMI batch have the ability to ouput de-blurred (and 15-bit color mode) analog RGBS via CSync?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:10 pm 

Any ETA on this iteration of the UltraHDMI now that it is in production? I haven't heard anything... or does that mean bad news?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:01 pm 

Max_P0 wrote:
Exciting, I hope we receive them by the end of the year.

:)

We'll be lucky to receive them by the end of next year at this rate

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14