Thinking about getting a Duo

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

The audio-bug that some Duos (not Duo-R/RXs) are suffering from makes the audio fade in and out. D-lite from multimods.com did a lot of research on it and it is apparently partly caused by bad capacitors. Not all Duos have this bug. I own and have played a Japanese Duo for a couple of years which never exhibited any problem (haven't used it since I got my first Duo-RX, though).
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

rolins wrote:Cdr backups no matter how good should not be used on a Duo/R/RX or CD/SCD units. Leave them for emulation only. The lasers in the Duo/R/RX and CD/SCD units are not reliable with Cdrs, and places more stress on them
Playing CD-Rs does not wear out the laser any faster. After years of use it simply gets weaker and you notice it first playing CD-Rs because they have a lower level of reflection than pressed CDs.
Unfortunately the lasers used in PC Engines are not very good (pretty weak) and have little or no error correction (Duo-R and RX allegedly have a better error correction than Duo).

Unfortunately at this time there are NO replacement lasers available which could be installed once yours gets weak (I did some extensive serching a few months ago). Hopefully someone will eventually start making replacements, because ALL PC Engine CD drives will die sooner or later.
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

Well, I was asking one guy at a different forum if he still has his black PC Engine Duo for sale (it's region modded to play all HuCards) with three US CD games (Ys 1 and 2, Exile, and Red Zone) at $200 shipped. He sold it a week ago to a seller, but one week later the seller e-mail the guy telling him that the HuCard slot doesn't work anymore. :?

He told me that the modded PC Engine Duo (the orginal black one guys) came from D-Lite (he got it four months ago from him and sold it a week ago). Well, I was suprise that the HuCard slot doesn't work anymore (I was expecting the CD-ROM drive, but not the HuCard slot). Well because of this reason, I'm going to stay away from any Black Duos, period. I would get either a Duo-R, RX, or one of those HuCard/CD-ROM attachment setups (so I can replace the parts if broken down).

I totally forgot about the CD-R issues, thanks for reminding me guys.
Last edited by Fighter17 on Mon May 08, 2006 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DC906270

Post by DC906270 »

Ceph wrote:To return to the original discussion: A Duo/R/RX has another advantage: It has built-in battery backup so you can save your scores and games. Most CD games take advantage of this as do some HU-cards (like Coryoon and Parasol Stars). For a Core Grafx you'd have to purchase a separate Ten no Koe backup unit
this is NOT Duo exclusive - there is also battery back-up built into the Super CD Rom add-on module.
rolins

Post by rolins »

Ceph wrote: Unfortunately at this time there are NO replacement lasers available which could be installed once yours gets weak (I did some extensive serching a few months ago). Hopefully someone will eventually start making replacements, because ALL PC Engine CD drives will die sooner or later.
I've looked into getting some Duo lasers in the past incase mine gets the rickets. Had no luck finding a distributor who has them in stock. At Old School Gamer they say they can replace broken Duo lasers, but I don't know if it those laser are interchangeable with Duo-R/RX models. They only show pictures of the black Duo.
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

rolins wrote:
Ceph wrote: Unfortunately at this time there are NO replacement lasers available which could be installed once yours gets weak (I did some extensive serching a few months ago). Hopefully someone will eventually start making replacements, because ALL PC Engine CD drives will die sooner or later.
I've looked into getting some Duo lasers in the past incase mine gets the rickets. Had no luck finding a distributor who has them in stock. At Old School Gamer they say they can replace broken Duo lasers, but I don't know if it those laser are interchangeable with Duo-R/RX models. They only show pictures of the black Duo.
As far as I know the CD Rom mounts are identical. Oldschoolgamer.ca get their lasers by cannibalizing Duo units suffering from the aforementioned audio-bug; they don't have completely new ones either. I'm still hoping for someone to find a way to replace the laser diode itself (not the whole CD-Rom mount). That should do the trick because it is really only the diode that wears out.
elvis

Post by elvis »

Ganelon wrote:Um, DKC will undoubtedly be on the Wii since Nintendo owns all things DK, including DKC.
No they don't. Nintendo PUBLISHED DKC. They didn't DEVELOP DKC.

Rare kept the rights to the DKC games as part of the development deal. Now that Microsoft own Rare, that means no DKC games for Wii.

Ownership of a character isn't as simplistic as you suggest above. There is no such thing as a sweeping "Nintendo own all things DK" statement. This *IS* the American legal system we are talking about, after all. Nothing in the world of licensing and intellectual property is simple with them.

There will be no DKC on Nintendo Wii. Microsoft will make certain of that. And Nintendo will make certain no SNES emulator makes it to XBLA. So if you liked DKC and want to play it again, you'll need to find yourself a SNES/SFC and a cart to go with it, because for now the game is in legal limbo.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Um, US Copyright Office >>> opinions.

Obviously, Rare developed the game (thank you, Captain Obvious :? ). But fortunately for everybody else, Rare opted out of rights to the stuff it developed until DKC3 (I had thought Rare didn't keep their part of the rights until the N64 days but looks like I was a bit off), which means that the original DKC and KI are still entirely held by Nintendo and which they can, and will, distribute without MS approval on the Wii.

I'm not sure why you're so pessimistic, but thank goodness you're mistaken.
elvis

Post by elvis »

Ganelon wrote:Um, US Copyright Office >>> opinions.

Obviously, Rare developed the game (thank you, Captain Obvious :? ). But fortunately for everybody else, Rare opted out of rights to the stuff it developed until DKC3 (I had thought Rare didn't keep their part of the rights until the N64 days but looks like I was a bit off), which means that the original DKC and KI are still entirely held by Nintendo and which they can, and will, distribute without MS approval on the Wii.

I'm not sure why you're so pessimistic, but thank goodness you're mistaken.
I have read elsewhere that Rare still hold these copyrights, hence the statements above. Obviously if I knew for a fact that Nintendo still held them, then the statements would be different.

These are not my "opinions" per se. Merely observations based on what I have read. If the information I read was wrong, then obviously the resulting conclusions will be wrong too. There's no emotion on my behalf attached to these statements.

So now the next question - can anyone offer hard evidence one way or the other as to who actually owns the DKC, KI and GoldenEye copyrights? Arguing on a forum doesn't prove anything one way or the other. I'd really like to see some written proof from someone who actually has authority on the subject. And not to prove myself right or wrong, but instead to learn the truth of the situation.
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

Returning to the topic once more: Get a Duo-R or RX. You will be very happy with it. PCE is great!
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

elvis wrote: I have read elsewhere that Rare still hold these copyrights, hence the statements above. Obviously if I knew for a fact that Nintendo still held them, then the statements would be different.

These are not my "opinions" per se. Merely observations based on what I have read. If the information I read was wrong, then obviously the resulting conclusions will be wrong too. There's no emotion on my behalf attached to these statements.

So now the next question - can anyone offer hard evidence one way or the other as to who actually owns the DKC, KI and GoldenEye copyrights? Arguing on a forum doesn't prove anything one way or the other. I'd really like to see some written proof from someone who actually has authority on the subject. And not to prove myself right or wrong, but instead to learn the truth of the situation.
True, I didn't mean "opinion" more than I meant "misconception; "I just gave you the benefit of the doubt that you were highly opinionated rather than entirely mistaken.

And your "next question" has already been answered. My last post contained purely fact-based statements regarding Nintendo/Rare's copyrights. If you'd bothered to read my post with open-mindedness rather than with patronizing ignorance, and then did some basic investigative work, you would've come to the same answer I did. But since I need to spell it out: try googling "US Copyright Office" and search their database.

Seriously, if you're not sure of what you're talking about, you ought to either find out or chill out (which is what I do when I'm unsure of my info). Reiterating your own misconception without checking is just plain silly. Why should someone else need to prove you wrong when you're entirely capable of correcting your own mistakes?
elvis

Post by elvis »

Ganelon wrote:And your "next question" has already been answered. My last post contained purely fact-based statements regarding Nintendo/Rare's copyrights. If you'd bothered to read my post with open-mindedness rather than with patronizing ignorance
Nice insults there. Cheers for that, much appreciated.

I am not a lawyer. I don't understand law. So for this patronisingly ignorant person, could someone please explain the following:

Code: Select all

1. Registration Number: 	 	 TX-4-635-594
Title: 	 	GoldenEye 007 : Nintendo 64 : instruction booklet.
Description: 	 	21 p.
Claimant: 	 	acNintendo of America, Inc.
Created: 	 	1997
Published: 	 	25Aug97
Author on © Application: 	 	Nintendo of America, Inc. & Rare, Ltd. (employers for hire)
Previous Related Version: 	 	Prev. reg. 1996, PA 767-549.
Claim Limit: 	 	NEW MATTER: text.
Does the copyright belong to the Claimant (ie: Nintendo only), or the Author (Nintendo and Rare combined)? This is not a troll. It's an honest to god question by someone who is utterly clueless.

[edit]
I am an idiot. That was for the instruction booklet. The game itself:

1. Registration Number: 	 	 PA-815-731
Title: 	 	Goldeneye 007.
Edition: 	 	N64 version.
Description: 	 	Videogame.
Claimant: 	 	Nintendo of America, Inc., Rare, Ltd.
Created: 	 	1997
Published: 	 	25Aug97
Title on © Application: 	 	NUS-NGEE-USA.
Author on © Application: 	 	audio-visual materials and computer program: acRare, Ltd., employer

for hire.
Previous Related Version: 	 	Motion picture prev. reg. 1996, PA 767-549.
Claim Limit: 	 	NEW MATTER: audio-visual work; program.
Special Codes:	 	4/C/F
Co-copyright ownership it seems.

[edit 2]
more

1. Registration Number: 	 	 PA-783-996
Title: 	 	Dixie Kong's double trouble.
Edition: 	 	Super NES version.
Series: 	 	Donkey kong country ; 3
Claimant: 	 	Nintendo of America, Inc. & acRare, Ltd.
Created: 	 	1996
Published: 	 	20Nov96
Author on © Application: 	 	audiovisual materials & program: Rare, Ltd., employer for hire.
Previous Related Version: 	 	Prev. reg. 1995, PA 736-113, PA 718-693, PAu 1-934-639.
Claim Limit: 	 	NEW MATTER: new audiovisual display, new program.
Bah... way off topic. I'm shutting up now.
Last edited by elvis on Wed May 10, 2006 12:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

By the way, DKC 1-3 have been released for Game Boy Advance. Part 3 came out only 6 months ago in November 2005, made by Rare. Last time I checked, the GBA was not a Micro$hit-system.
elvis

Post by elvis »

Ceph wrote:By the way, DKC 1-3 have been released for Game Boy Advance. Part 3 came out only 6 months ago in November 2005, made by Rare. Last time I checked, the GBA was not a Micro$hit-system.
Yup, the US Copright site confirms the DKC series is 100% Nintendo (and a big thanks to Ganelon for steering me in the right direction there).

My only remaining question is the copyright status of GoldenEye 007 for N64, as listed above.

[edit]
waitaminute...

1. Registration Number: 	 	 PA-736-113
Title: 	 	Donkey kong country.
Edition: 	 	Super NES version.
Claimant: 	 	Nintendo of America, Inc.
Created: 	 	1994
Published: 	 	25Oct94
Author on © Application: 	 	audiovisual display, music of audiovisual display, program, background

sounds: Rare, Ltd., employer for hire.
Previous Related Version: 	 	Prev. reg. 1981, PA 115-040, et al.
Claim Limit: 	 	NEW MATTER: new audiovisual display, new program.
Miscellaneous: 	 	C.O. corres.
Anyone care to enlighten me on what "employer for hire" means? Again, I'm useless at interpreting law double-speak. I assume it means that Rare worked for Nintendo, and all copyrights are therefor owned by the employer (ie: Nintendo)?
Last edited by elvis on Tue May 09, 2006 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rolins

Post by rolins »

Fighter17

I noticed on your WTB post that you're interested in a the old briefcase unit with the original CD-ROM2 unit. Just want to add if you get a briefcase unit you'll definitely want to invest in the older system cards 1 + 2, cause there a few cd-rom games that won't work even if you use System card 3 or Arcade pro card.
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

rolins wrote:Fighter17

I noticed on your WTB post that you're interested in a the old briefcase unit with the original CD-ROM2 unit. Just want to add if you get a briefcase unit you'll definitely want to invest in the older system cards 1 + 2, cause there a few cd-rom games that won't work even if you use System card 3 or Arcade pro card.
Ok man, thanks for the information. I herd that Alerted Beast will only work with the System Card 1.0 I think.

Like what Rolins said guys, I'm looking to buy a Duo, or one of those attachment units! Sell me your working systems (and damn it I want to play Ys I & II so bad)!
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

elvis wrote: Nice insults there. Cheers for that, much appreciated.
Thanks, I tried.

But I don't think DKC3 belongs entirely to Nintendo since Rare partially owns the SNES version.

Anyway, since you're asking so nicely:

For works for hire, check here: http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ9.html#who1
Basically, it doesn't matter and is just on there for record's sake.

As for the claimant/author association, space 4 of form TX for the copyright application (http://www.copyright.gov/forms/formtxi.pdf) clearly states that the author transfers the copyright to the claimant.
elvis

Post by elvis »

Ganelon wrote:As for the claimant/author association, space 4 of form TX for the copyright application (http://www.copyright.gov/forms/formtxi.pdf) clearly states that the author transfers the copyright to the claimant.
Excellent! Thanks for the "plain english" translation (and google lesson). Much appreciated. :)
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

OK guys, get back on topic! ;)

SELL ME YOUR SYSTEM DAMN IT! :x