Retro-bit's Sega controllers

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Strider77

Re: Retro-bit's Sega controllers

Post by Strider77 »

NOOOOOOOOooooooooooo......

Still no grey controllers... wut a world.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Hate to say it but I don't think the original Saturn color scheme was ever as popular as the white, or basic black..
Taco_Human

Post by Taco_Human »

Question, do all these Sega usb controllers work on Xbox One at all? I don't own one, but I tested the one I controller I bought my nephew on his Xbox, and couldn't get it to recognize it.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

The only mainline platform that any of these controllers are designated for is Switch.

@Retro-Bit: I mentioned earlier being able to try out one of the 2.4G Saturn pads, but finally made my first purchase with an 8-button USB Genesis pad. I was looking forward to using it with my TG16 Mini and PC. Thought with the Sega Dpad and added shoulder buttons it would be the perfect digital emulation controller.

Out of the box, the feel was incredible. Easily first-party quality, with a solid and very similar-to-the-original build, and great action on the buttons and pad. The 10-foot cord is of course a great touch, with nice thickness and even a ferrite core.

Once I got into PC use I quickly found a fatal flaw, though. Whatever USB chip you are using cannot maintain a connection through a standard PC sleep/restore cycle! The controller cannot be simply plugged in and used whenever desired - every time the PC is woken up you must remove and replug it, or it's as if it's not even there.

It identifies normally upon insertion and performs flawlessly otherwise. Searching around the Web, I see some others have made the same complaint with both the 8- and 6-button versions. I have to conclude this isn't a defect but, again, a flaw with the electronics design.

I haven't had a USB peripheral unable to handle sleep/restore since the early days of USB 1.0. This is a horrible thing to wreck an otherwise stellar effort and I really hope you won't repeat it with any future wired products :(
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

Taco_Human wrote:Question, do all these Sega usb controllers work on Xbox One at all? I don't own one, but I tested the one I controller I bought my nephew on his Xbox, and couldn't get it to recognize it.
They do not. There are Brook peripherals that do allow this and you can also use the XBox app on a PC to pass through your controller to a connected console. We're still exploring our options for the future.

bigbadboaz wrote:Once I got into PC use I quickly found a fatal flaw, though. Whatever USB chip you are using cannot maintain a connection through a standard PC sleep/restore cycle! The controller cannot be simply plugged in and used whenever desired - every time the PC is woken up you must remove and replug it, or it's as if it's not even there.

It identifies normally upon insertion and performs flawlessly otherwise. Searching around the Web, I see some others have made the same complaint with both the 8- and 6-button versions. I have to conclude this isn't a defect but, again, a flaw with the electronics design.
A fatal flaw? That sounds serious!

I would need to ask specifically which version of the USB controller you are using as the updated Switch compatible ones do not have this issue. On all USB models, the boards do not have a battery back up and require a connection to the console in order to be powered. We haven't been able to replicate this issue on the newer models so I would guess you might have an earlier model.

We aren't in the business of "wrecking" a product - it doesn't make sense. We do our best to listen to feedback and find ways to improve. We appreciate the feedback and I have let our developers know about your problem.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

This 8-button USB Genesis model is marked with the updated Switch-compatible listing on the front and came out of a new, sealed box.
sesnut

Post by sesnut »

Retro-Bit wrote:
Taco_Human wrote:Question, do all these Sega usb controllers work on Xbox One at all? I don't own one, but I tested the one I controller I bought my nephew on his Xbox, and couldn't get it to recognize it.
They do not. There are Brook peripherals that do allow this and you can also use the XBox app on a PC to pass through your controller to a connected console. We're still exploring our options for the future.

bigbadboaz wrote:Once I got into PC use I quickly found a fatal flaw, though. Whatever USB chip you are using cannot maintain a connection through a standard PC sleep/restore cycle! The controller cannot be simply plugged in and used whenever desired - every time the PC is woken up you must remove and replug it, or it's as if it's not even there.

A fatal flaw? That sounds serious!

I would need to ask specifically which version of the USB controller you are using as the updated Switch compatible ones do not have this issue. On all USB models, the boards do not have a battery back up and require a connection to the console in order to be powered. We haven't been able to replicate this issue on the newer models so I would guess you might have an earlier model.

We aren't in the business of "wrecking" a product - it doesn't make sense. We do our best to listen to feedback and find ways to improve. We appreciate the feedback and I have let our developers know about your problem.
This isnt a new issue. There are plenty of reviews on the saturn controller as well with this issue.

The problem is when you turn the controller off it doesnt report to windows that it disconnected, making it impossible to reconnect without resetting its bluetooth state because it still thinks its connected.

Tell me you have a firmware fix for this
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

bigbadboaz wrote:This 8-button USB Genesis model is marked with the updated Switch-compatible listing on the front and came out of a new, sealed box.
Yes, that is very odd. I have a couple at home and I don't have the PC sleep/wake issue as you stated. We will check it out again on our test units next time we can be in the office.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Do you think it's worth exchanging the unit rather than just returning it? I don't want to bother the retailer with back-to-back returns.

As I said, it behaves normally in every other way. I don't really see how it could be defective in such a specific manner.
sesnut

Post by sesnut »

double post
Last edited by sesnut on Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Will the non-transparent black and white saturn 2.4ghz pads be available on Amazon at all?
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

Will you be adding more colors to the Tribute 64 line? I need a yellow controller in the worst way!
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

bigbadboaz wrote:Do you think it's worth exchanging the unit rather than just returning it? I don't want to bother the retailer with back-to-back returns.
Sorry for the delay. I will follow up with our team this week regarding this issue. I'm unsure if this is isolated to the design of the controller or if it is a flaw, still.

Johnpv wrote:Will the non-transparent black and white saturn 2.4ghz pads be available on Amazon at all?
We are working on it!

GojiFan90 wrote:Will you be adding more colors to the Tribute 64 line? I need a yellow controller in the worst way!
I believe we are happy with 6 colors for now for the Tribute64. For the future, who knows although I will add that yellow was the least voted for when we did our color poll. Right now we are working on the wireless version and debating what colors to release for it...
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Retro-Bit wrote:I believe we are happy with 6 colors for now for the Tribute64. For the future, who knows although I will add that yellow was the least voted for when we did our color poll. Right now we are working on the wireless version and debating what colors to release for it...
Transparent orange please to match my Daiei Hawks N64. Please don't trust your polls. Remember they were wrong when it came to the Saturn 2.4 wireless controller colors ;)
Drunk_Caterpillar

Post by Drunk_Caterpillar »

Is there a way to know what firmware is on the 2.4GHz Saturn controller and receivers without the PC update utility? I run all Mac OS and would just love to confirm that the receivers I have are up to date (ordered them in March and they just got here). I'm experiencing more delay/latency than I really expected to with a 2.4GHz transmission but I noticed there were patch notes for the Saturn receiver that referenced that.

Also worth mentioning, the MiSTer Add-ons team are doing extensive controller latency testing and it looks like there's about 1-4 frames of latency with these controllers. Any chance Retro-Bit will continue to do work on bringing the latency of their 2.4GHz gear down? Like I said, it is absolutely noticeable with both the USB and Saturn receivers.
matt

Post by matt »

Drunk_Caterpillar wrote:Is there a way to know what firmware is on the 2.4GHz Saturn controller and receivers without the PC update utility? I run all Mac OS and would just love to confirm that the receivers I have are up to date (ordered them in March and they just got here). I'm experiencing more delay/latency than I really expected to with a 2.4GHz transmission but I noticed there were patch notes for the Saturn receiver that referenced that.
I did find that updating the firmware reduced latency significantly on both my Genesis and Saturn pads. I bought them in February so they could be from the same batch as yours. From my subjective viewpoint they went from being "OK for RPGs" to "I can play Batsugun".
Drunk_Caterpillar

matt wrote:
Drunk_Caterpillar wrote:Is there a way to know what firmware is on the 2.4GHz Saturn controller and receivers without the PC update utility? I run all Mac OS and would just love to confirm that the receivers I have are up to date (ordered them in March and they just got here). I'm experiencing more delay/latency than I really expected to with a 2.4GHz transmission but I noticed there were patch notes for the Saturn receiver that referenced that.
I did find that updating the firmware reduced latency significantly on both my Genesis and Saturn pads. I bought them in February so they could be from the same batch as yours. From my subjective viewpoint they went from being "OK for RPGs" to "I can play Batsugun".
I decided I'd phone a friend and use their PC to run the update, and I have to say that using it with my Saturn feels much more responsive. Thanks for chiming in.
Austin

Post by Austin »

I picked up one of the 2.4 ghz Saturn controllers the other night. It's absolutely awesome! Plugged the USB stick into the Genesis Mini and it worked perfectly, then subsequently went to play some Saturn with the other plug, and it worked like a charm. Controller feels excellent just like the wired ones. Response is super quick. The packaging with the case/holder is a nice touch as well. Really glad I picked this one up.
sesnut

Post by sesnut »

is there a way to change to dinput on the bluetooth pad while using it wirelessly?
FamiDriveDuo

Post by FamiDriveDuo »

About the wireless Saturn pad...Can it be used as a wired pad? I want this one because of the extra interface buttons but saw an Amazon review claiming it can't be used as a wired controller at all and is reportedly wireless only...
Drunk_Caterpillar

FamiDriveDuo wrote:About the wireless Saturn pad...Can it be used as a wired pad? I want this one because of the extra interface buttons but saw an Amazon review claiming it can't be used as a wired controller at all and is reportedly wireless only...
I tried to use it as a USB pad yesterday but if there's a way to do it I'm not sure what it is. I have a sneaking suspicion that the USB port is just for charging.
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

Finally picked up one of the 2.4ghz wireless ones. Loving how these feel so far. No issues charging or going to sleep mode or a sticky C-button.
Though on Windows I do have a concern that in both D and X input modes the D-Pad is always treated as the analog stick. Is there a button combo to actually change this to proper D-pad mapping or will it effectively not matter at all?
Rahndail

Post by Rahndail »

Retro-Bit wrote:
bigbadboaz wrote:Hey Retro-Bit, I'd like to bring this up again in the new year: have you talked with the major console manufacturers at all regarding licensed Sega pads that work natively with PS4 or Xbox One?

There's sorely little selection of this type of controller for mainline consoles..
We have been exploring options going forward. Currently, we have been working with Brook to update their dongles to allow our controllers to function across a variety of platforms. They have been very cool about it all. To my knowledge:

- SEGA Wired USB and 2.4 GHz USB receivers are able to work with their PS3->PS4 Converter (white) and PS3/4->Xbox One Converter (red)
- SEGA Bluetooth controllers are able to connect wirelessly to the Brook PS4/Switch -> PS4/Switch Converter (red dongle)

These are workarounds for now but their stuff is pretty good to keep around. We will continue to work on solutions.
Maybe I'm dumb, but I tried installing the latest Brook firmware update for the PS3->PS4 adapter from their website (dated May 2019) but the 2.4Ghz receiver doesn't seem to work with my PS4. The controller will pair but no inputs will register on the PS4. I also tried installing the latest firmware update for the 2.4Ghz dongle but that didn't work either. Am I missing something?
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Heyooo friendly neighborhood RetroBit rep! The right shoulder button on my wireless 2.4GHz CoolPad for my Saturn randomly broke - I emailed info@retro-bit.com on the 21st with a short video attached, documenting the issue. I'm sure you guys are quite busy right now, just wondering if you may have an estimate on when I could expect a response. No rush! Just checkin' :)
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

sesnut wrote:is there a way to change to dinput on the bluetooth pad while using it wirelessly?
Unfortunately, while it is in Bluetooth wireless mode, it will remain as an X-Input wireless controller. If you wish to use it as D-Input device, you would need to use a cable into the PC and follow the manual's instructions.
FamiDriveDuo wrote:About the wireless Saturn pad...Can it be used as a wired pad? I want this one because of the extra interface buttons but saw an Amazon review claiming it can't be used as a wired controller at all and is reportedly wireless only...
It depends. Bluetooth version can be used as a wired controller on PS3, consoles, and some Android devices otherwise, it will just go into charge mode.

For our 2.4 GHz controllers, it will only go into charge mode when connected via cable as far as I know. However, you can play while charging.
BONKERS wrote:Is there a button combo to actually change this to proper D-pad mapping or will it effectively not matter at all?
Yes, hold Up + Start for a few seconds and it should change to DPad mode. All the Switch macros should still apply while using the USB receiver. :)
Rahndail wrote:Maybe I'm dumb, but I tried installing the latest Brook firmware update for the PS3->PS4 adapter from their website (dated May 2019) but the 2.4Ghz receiver doesn't seem to work with my PS4. The controller will pair but no inputs will register on the PS4. I also tried installing the latest firmware update for the 2.4Ghz dongle but that didn't work either. Am I missing something?
I do recall our internal testers having it work for them. I will check back with them next time we are allowed back into the offices.
kitty666cats wrote:Heyooo friendly neighborhood RetroBit rep! The right shoulder button on my wireless 2.4GHz CoolPad for my Saturn randomly broke - I emailed info@retro-bit.com on the 21st with a short video attached, documenting the issue. I'm sure you guys are quite busy right now, just wondering if you may have an estimate on when I could expect a response. No rush! Just checkin' :)
Heya,

If they haven't responded to you yet, please message us and we will find out. We're all coordinating our office time per CDC guidelines so things have been a bit hectic. :)
awe444

Post by awe444 »

Are the shells swappable between the 2.4GHz and Bluetooth Saturn pads? I’d gladly buy a black Bluetooth if it meant I could swap its case with my 2.4GHz transparent one.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

I'm guessing no as they stuffed rumble motors into the Bluetooth pads. Also, did you miss the announcement of black and white 2.4 GHz controllers?
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

I am eagerly awaiting those black and white pads going up on Amazon. Really want a white one.
awe444

Post by awe444 »

bigbadboaz wrote:I'm guessing no as they stuffed rumble motors into the Bluetooth pads. Also, did you miss the announcement of black and white 2.4 GHz controllers?
Ok thanks— yes I missed that announcement
Retro-Bit

Post by Retro-Bit »

awe444 wrote:Are the shells swappable between the 2.4GHz and Bluetooth Saturn pads? I’d gladly buy a black Bluetooth if it meant I could swap its case with my 2.4GHz transparent one.
Unfortunately, no. As stated before, the Bluetooth shells and 2.4 GHz shells have a few differences. The rumble motors and LED ports (2.4 GHz has 1 light, Bluetooth has 4) as well as some slight fit changes to accommodate the battery means they are not 1-to-1 and doing so will be a tight or loose fit.

Our SEGA wired controllers have parts (outside of the PCB and cable) that are interchangeable (assuming you're using the same console type).